VMware

Interested in our products? Post your questions here. Let us answer before you buy.
kaioian
First post

VMware

Post by kaioian »

Hello,

I want to buy a NAS. I like TS253A but I have a few questions. Is it possible to install virtual machine let's say windows 10 in qnap and access it through browser from all over the world. If it possible is it running 27/7 and those of you who have did it what's the benefits and how do you use it?
And one more question. I"ve read all over the internet that synology is better than qnap. Those of you who have qnap are you happy with it? Do you have problems?

Thanks.
Trexx
Ask me anything

Re: VMware

Post by Trexx »

You can access a Win10 VM via the browser, although the "responsiveness" of that method will be less than using say VNC/RDP to access it. As for all over the world, there are ways to accomplish that via reverse proxy and such, but that will take a little more work.

As for running 24x7, that is strictly up to you.

As for Synology better than QNAP, I probably would not agree. They both have pro's/con's and have launched very successful products in their own rights. QNAP traditionally has been a stronger company in terms of what is offers from a hardware for the $ perspective. Synology probably was know for their SW, although QNAP has been closing that gap and in some areas passing Synology.

I have worked with both and they both have pro's/con's. Both have a learning curve if you have never used a NAS before as they behave and need to be treated different than a "pc with lots of storage".

I would also say be realistic in terms of performance expectations (especially for VM's.). If you are running an i7 laptop today, you won't get that performance from a Win10 VM (which uses Virtualization station, not VMware) at least on this class of NAS hw (bigger models that can be achieved).
Paul

Model: TS-877-1600 FW: 4.5.3.x
QTS (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 1TB WD Blue m.2's
Data (HDD): [RAID-5] 6 x 3TB HGST DeskStar
VMs (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x1TB SK Hynix Gold
Ext. (HDD): TR-004 [Raid-5] 4 x 4TB HGST Ultastor
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 64GB DDR4-2666
UPS: CP AVR1350

Model:TVS-673 32GB & TS-228a Offline[/color]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Plex NAS Compatibility Guide | QNAP Plex FAQ | Moogle's QNAP Faq
aarbee
Easy as a breeze

Re: VMware

Post by aarbee »

A small addition. If you use the Pro version of Windows 10, you can also connect via RDP. That is a bit faster then via the browser.
Another thing is, that if you install the KVM from the tools, you can also use UltraVNC.

I have tested the first version via RDP but not yet via Ultra VNC.
RDP is normally one of the fastest protocols.
Friendly Greetings,

RobB

Main NAS:
Model: TS-253D - 20200725
Boot:- Raid 1: 2x 1 TB m.2 WD Red
Disks - 6TB WD Red, 350GB WD blue 2.5"

BACKUP NAS (On 2 hours a day due to Electricity costs)
Model: TvS-673 40GB (2*32+2*4) - 20170215
Boot:-Raid 1: 2x Crucial M.2 275GB 2x
Disks Raid 1:-3.5" 2x Toshiba 10 TB
UPS: Back-UPS Pro BR900G-GR
---

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Media Boxe: Nvidia ShieldTV Pro

Return to “Presales”