TVS-673 CPU Performance

Interested in our products? Post your questions here. Let us answer before you buy.
RUDN
New here

TVS-673 CPU Performance

Post by RUDN »

The CPU specs for the TVS-673
AMD R-Series RX-421BD quad-core 2.1 GHz processor, burst up to 3.4 GHz

Does anybody reach the 3.4GHZ in burst mode? for example with Virtualization, Transcoding or something

I don't know if QNAP Bios, Hardware even support "burst mode" on AMD or Intel
RUDN
New here

Re: TVS-673 CPU Performance

Post by RUDN »

Hi Philippe,

I use my TVS-673 for Virtualization, have 24GB of memory and two M.2 SSD's (Crucial 525GB) as Cache installed.
So memory and Cache is not the "bottleneck"
You are right, the "Turbo Core" mode exist's on the RX-421BD Processor, but is not used/enabled or simply limited in the Bios and in the Qnap Linux Configuration Files
to max 2100 Mhz min 1400 MhZ

Norbert
aarbee
Easy as a breeze

Post by aarbee »

I can say that more memory really helps virtual machines.
I have the 673 bought with 8GB of memory. And had 2 virtual machines running, including Plex server.
The virtual machines received 1 and 2 GB.
Since I have added 2x16GB is the virtual machine faster. And since the windows virtual machine received 8GB instead of 2, I see that it is lessor swapping. Which means less CPU usage.

What also helped is installing guesttools for Windows machines.
I saw reasonable high CPU usage on the QNAP between 30-60% without. After installing then 10-30%. Rarely beyond 50%.
Here you can download the tools: https://fedorapeople.org/groups/virt/vi ... io-win.iso

Installing the Virtio drivers for the existing harddisk (IDE) can be a bit painfull, as I had experienced. But it worked in the end.
Friendly Greetings,

RobB

Main NAS:
Model: TS-253D - 20200725
Boot:- Raid 1: 2x 1 TB m.2 WD Red
Disks - 6TB WD Red, 350GB WD blue 2.5"

BACKUP NAS (On 2 hours a day due to Electricity costs)
Model: TvS-673 40GB (2*32+2*4) - 20170215
Boot:-Raid 1: 2x Crucial M.2 275GB 2x
Disks Raid 1:-3.5" 2x Toshiba 10 TB
UPS: Back-UPS Pro BR900G-GR
---

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Media Boxe: Nvidia ShieldTV Pro
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QNAPJason
QNAP Staff

Post by QNAPJason »

Hi,
the turbo core is supported on the TVS-x73.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
123pla
New here

Post by 123pla »

@QNAPJason - how to enable this Turbo mode on TVS-x73 ? I'm getting only 2,1Ghz inside VMs :(
philippe.mande
Getting the hang of things

Post by philippe.mande »

Hi,

As I know ... turbo boost is available for the AMD RX-421BD core use by the TVS-x73 series
... you can do a verification (if boost is enable) using the /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/boost indicator (1 = Enable)
... you can see all frequency with the same approach by CPU
... option for cpu frequency management is done at the same place using "gouvernor" value ... (5 possibilities) ... default for TVS-x73 is "performance" ... so stay at max
... ... in some circumstance it can be a good option to manage (govern) differently to down the CPU speed (to gain in fan control and temperature)
... the basic choice is done in the BIOS/UEFI

If you need more information ... this require some tools not available in Q.T.S. but easily installed using a simple chroot of Debian or Ubuntu

AS I know the turbo mode is decide BY the ACPI driver and the thermal indicator WHEN a hard request of CPU power is require ... in normal circumstance no task really require by itself power ... the power in normal usage (like an O.S.) is split with multiples tasks ... the multi-task is not a reason to activate turbo boost (because in fact lot of "hole" in the power require exist ...)
V.M. are in the same state ... the virtualizer don't ask for lot of processor for itself (in fact the target is to reduce the overload generated by the virtualizer)

Turbo boost can appear active when a CPU only (without interruption) task is launched (ex. some game with a big I.A. ; some calculation or I.A. program, etc.) and in this case you can't be sure that other tasks are not impacted (lot of gamers consider to overclock processor is more stable and useful than let the processor decide to run in turbo boost mode ... and generate drop frames on screen ... )

In you case ... you can do a survey ... but no reason (V.M.) that Turbo mode will be activated ...

LAST depends of V.M. not all get direct information on CPU frequency after starting ... so you can't consider the value returned by the V.M. as a correct one ... only the reality appears at virtualizer program level and can be see using survey of real frequency at Q.T.S. (Linux) side ... again by using tools or get info from sysfs and procfs pseudo file system.

Philippe.
NB I can be false ... so Jason can have better information (eventually on tools integrated in Q.T.S. able to manage turbo boost) ... all is based on my (limited) experience ...
New pseudo for Father_Mande (now closed) ...
QNAP TS-x53 Pro, TVS-x73, TS-x31+, TS-x28A DEAD ... and some oldest under Debian ... etc.
Asustor AS5002T ; AS1002T ... etc.
nitehawk
Starting out

Post by nitehawk »

Will there be any performance gained in running Windows (guest) on virtualisation station against the same (RAM) capacity TS-673?
philippe.mande

Post by philippe.mande »

Hi,
nitehawk wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:36 pm Will there be any performance gained in running Windows (guest) on virtualisation station against the same (RAM) capacity TS-673?
For exactly the same usage ... the difference can be at GPU level ... if used ... (shared memory and thermal use in TS-673)
TS-673 don't integrate IGP (need a PCU-e GPU for running Windows with graphic on NAS through HDMI) when TVS-673 integrate an R7 IGP

For ALL the others point the processor are the same and memory supported also ...
http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/349/AM ... 421ND.html

Philippe.
QNAP TS-x53 Pro, TVS-x73, TS-x31+, TS-x28A DEAD ... and some oldest under Debian ... etc.
nitehawk
Starting out

Post by nitehawk »

philippe.mande wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:36 pm Hi,
nitehawk wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:36 pm Will there be any performance gained in running Windows (guest) on virtualisation station against the same (RAM) capacity TS-673?
For exactly the same usage ... the difference can be at GPU level ... if used ... (shared memory and thermal use in TS-673)
TS-673 don't integrate IGP (need a PCU-e GPU for running Windows with graphic on NAS through HDMI) when TVS-673 integrate an R7 IGP

For ALL the others point the processor are the same and memory supported also ...
http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/349/AM ... 421ND.html

Philippe.
If my usage is purely VM, will I get any GPU performance gain in Windows VM if I buy TVS-673?
philippe.mande

Post by philippe.mande »

Hi,
nitehawk wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:58 am If my usage is purely VM, will I get any GPU performance gain in Windows VM if I buy TVS-673?
Yes ... but did you target to use intensively GPU (for ex. with game)
... if yes, remember that you can get more performance BUT the cost of an added card for TS-673 (select in the list supported) especially if you use it with PCIe pass-through the cost in term of performance (V.M. add an overload due to virtualization) and I/O generated for GPU usage (and memory if shared memory can be substantial ... due also to muti-processing of the V.M. supervisor ... turbo mode can't be used ... so gain is relative is CPU (use for I.A. for ex.) have not the resources needed.

... if NO specific high GPU applications, enough power wit IGP (like in lot of case) ... external GPU add overload ... but don't really help (due to CPU and I/O consuming) so TVS-673 can get better performance (without extra cost)

BUT you are the master in your castle ... and no generic response exist (except marketing approach and by people don't explain who are applications used and said ... ho! yes it's better) ... :mrgreen:

Philippe.
nitehawk
Starting out

Post by nitehawk »

philippe.mande wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:52 pm Hi,
nitehawk wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:58 am If my usage is purely VM, will I get any GPU performance gain in Windows VM if I buy TVS-673?
Yes ... but did you target to use intensively GPU (for ex. with game)
... if yes, remember that you can get more performance BUT the cost of an added card for TS-673 (select in the list supported) especially if you use it with PCIe pass-through the cost in term of performance (V.M. add an overload due to virtualization) and I/O generated for GPU usage (and memory if shared memory can be substantial ... due also to muti-processing of the V.M. supervisor ... turbo mode can't be used ... so gain is relative is CPU (use for I.A. for ex.) have not the resources needed.

... if NO specific high GPU applications, enough power wit IGP (like in lot of case) ... external GPU add overload ... but don't really help (due to CPU and I/O consuming) so TVS-673 can get better performance (without extra cost)

BUT you are the master in your castle ... and no generic response exist (except marketing approach and by people don't explain who are applications used and said ... ho! yes it's better) ... :mrgreen:

Philippe.
I don't use any GPU-intensive application nor play game which output through HDMI. My usage mainly on running multiple Window 10 VMs. Will there be any performance gain using TVS-673 against TS-673?
philippe.mande

Post by philippe.mande »

Hi,
nitehawk wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:04 pm I don't use any GPU-intensive application nor play game which output through HDMI. My usage mainly on running multiple Window 10 VMs. Will there be any performance gain using TVS-673 against TS-673?
So ... no difference ... your choice must be based on the price ... or for TVS-673 if you want to keep some possible extension later ... based on HD_Station applications without additional cost

BUT ask QNAP ... we are only users ... so have limited knowledge on internal specification of each model and series.

Philippe.
Trexx
Ask me anything

Post by Trexx »

GPU pass through isn’t supported for VMs on the TS-x73 family as far as I know. It is only supported for QTS (and maybe CS, but can’t remember for sure).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Paul

Model: TS-877-1600 FW: 4.5.3.x
QTS (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 1TB WD Blue m.2's
Data (HDD): [RAID-5] 6 x 3TB HGST DeskStar
VMs (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x1TB SK Hynix Gold
Ext. (HDD): TR-004 [Raid-5] 4 x 4TB HGST Ultastor
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 64GB DDR4-2666
UPS: CP AVR1350

Model:TVS-673 32GB & TS-228a Offline[/color]
2018 Plex NAS Compatibility Guide | QNAP Plex FAQ | Moogle's QNAP Faq
nitehawk
Starting out

Post by nitehawk »

philippe.mande wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:38 am Hi,
nitehawk wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:04 pm I don't use any GPU-intensive application nor play game which output through HDMI. My usage mainly on running multiple Window 10 VMs. Will there be any performance gain using TVS-673 against TS-673?
So ... no difference ... your choice must be based on the price ... or for TVS-673 if you want to keep some possible extension later ... based on HD_Station applications without additional cost

BUT ask QNAP ... we are only users ... so have limited knowledge on internal specification of each model and series.

Philippe.
How do I contact QNAP to inquire further?
storageman
Ask me anything

Post by storageman »

GPU pass-through is only available for the TVS-EC-x80U, TVS-x82, TS-1685, TES-x85U, TDS-16489U and TS-x77 series.

https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/tutorial ... -station2/

Return to “Presales”