TS-669 Pro - Memory/CPU

Interested in our products? Post your questions here. Let us answer before you buy.
DICKHILL
Starting out

TS-669 Pro - Memory/CPU

Post by DICKHILL »

Hi! ^_^

The TS-669 Pro have expandable RAM up to 3GB.
But is it possible to install more?

The only info I can seem to find about the CPU is that it is a Intel Atom 2.13GHz Dual-core.
Which seems to be the D2700 and only can take up to 4GB.

So I actually just want this confirmed, since I don't think that 3GB or even 4GB will be enough to run what I want.
(Thins like: LAN file-share, ownCloud, VPN, a little web & mail-server, IP surveillance, etc...)

At the moment, all mentioned runs on 4 different VMs on my little home-server (VMware ESXI with 32GB RAM and Intel Xeon E3-1230 v5 3.40GHz)
And no... I don't expect it to be just as powerful... - This is only for a shorter period where I hope it can take over the servers jobs.

But on longer term, I'm going to build a "server-park" when I get the room for it.
And then it only will be used for smaller jobs or virtualization storage (VMware).

Thanks in advance! (:
//NO^DICKHILL
An upcoming QNAP owner/user!
But can't decide which to buy... Considering an TS-653B or TVS-873?

- TS-239 Pro (NFS Share for IP Cameras)
kherr4377
Been there, done that

Re: TS-669 Pro - Memory/CPU

Post by kherr4377 »

like putting 10 gallons of gas in a 5 gallon can .......
Production :
TVS-673 4.3.4 0387
4 X 3TB WD RED : 1 X 4TB HGST DESKSTAR R5
32GB
LAN-10G1SR-D, FiberHal for Cisco SFP-10G-SR
NETGEAR ProSAFE SS3300-28X

Backup :
TS-469L 4.3.4 0387
4 X 3TB WD RED R5
3GB
Located detached garage .. cheap offsite solution ...

2nd TS-469L awaiting drives and reassignment for front-line duty .......
DICKHILL
Starting out

Post by DICKHILL »

If you are referring to letting the TS-669 run all my servers tasks... Oh yes, I absolutely agree!
But as I wrote, I actually just want the max memory confirmed.

In my opinion, 4GB isn't even enough to boot up.
But since I've never owned a QNAP, I don't know what they can depending on the hardware.
//NO^DICKHILL

kherr4377
Been there, done that

Post by kherr4377 »

no ... the hardware has design limits ...3GB ... soldered CPU ...... it is what it is .... talk to Intel

if you need more memory, the only option is a different Q and use the 669 as a backup target. i just bought a 673, has 64GB limit .... newer technology, better capacity
Production :
TVS-673 4.3.4 0387
32GB

Backup :
TS-469L 4.3.4 0387
4 X 3TB WD RED R5
3GB

DICKHILL
Starting out

Post by DICKHILL »

A TVS-673 costs around $2500 and the used TS-669 Pro I'm looking at costs around $430, so no thanks!
Where a new TS-453A costs $600 and my server cost me $800 in parts last year.

And all I actually can say to you... Thanks for nothing?
You didn't answer me if it was limited to 3GB (or 4GB by the CPU) or even if it used the D2700 CPU.

Of course there are limitations! - I didn't expect to install 16GB or anything crazy in such an old thing like that...
But can you then pleeeeeaaaase tell me why the TS-453A can get 16GB RAM installed, since the CPUs (N3150/N3160) only accept 8GB, according to Intel? (;
//NO^DICKHILL

dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

DICKHILL wrote: But can you then pleeeeeaaaase tell me why the TS-453A can get 16GB RAM installed, since the CPUs (N3150/N3160) only accept 8GB, according to Intel? (;
other forums have the same discussion...
https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=270486.0
http://www.cnx-software.com/2015/07/12/ ... 60-and-up/ (specs say up to 16GB)
it is unclear why that works due to the processor builtin memory controller
DICKHILL
Starting out

Post by DICKHILL »

I didn't know that it was such a "big subject".
Only that it was possible in the QNAP, since it was one of the models I were looking at.
And there I just had to ask, now when you wrote "it is what it is"... (o:

I know that my question about 3 or 4GB aren't the same as the TS-453A which can get installed more than the CPU even supports.
But since the TS-669 Pro are expandable up to 3GB and the CPU supports 4GB, i just wanted a confirmation on how much I could install and what it actually could perform.
//NO^DICKHILL

dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

in times of free returns .. get 4GB .. try it .. if it fails,return it ..
kherr4377
Been there, done that

Post by kherr4377 »

everywhere i see a 8GB 673 is $1100. upgrade the memory yourself ... a lot cheaper .. do it in stages. my 32GB cost $266

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BN ... UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NA ... =UTF8&th=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MT ... =UTF8&th=1

if you want a higher end features, your not going to get it for free. the 669 is 4 years old. technology changes fast

the 673 is just one model, there are many others .....
Production :
TVS-673 4.3.4 0387
32GB

Backup :
TS-469L 4.3.4 0387
4 X 3TB WD RED R5
3GB

Idlewizard
Know my way around

Post by Idlewizard »

So I actually just want this confirmed, since I don't think that 3GB or even 4GB will be enough to run what I want.
(Thins like: LAN file-share, ownCloud, VPN, a little web & mail-server, IP surveillance, etc...)

At the moment, all mentioned runs on 4 different VMs on my little home-server (VMware ESXI with 32GB RAM and Intel Xeon E3-1230 v5 3.40GHz)
And no... I don't expect it to be just as powerful... - This is only for a shorter period where I hope it can take over the servers jobs.
The Atom CPU being used in the x69 series is "not quite there" as a 64-bit platform. It can execute 64-bit instructions, but some of the supporting hardware can only address a 32-bit address space. While that makes the theoretical address space 4GB, almost 1GB of that is lost to various reserved spaces and technology limitations. I think you should be able to plug in 2x2GB modules just fine, but might not end up with any significant usable memory increase over adding just one 2GB module to the 1GB it comes with.

Two more things you should be aware of:

1) Memory compatibility: search this forum for posts about that and good luck. The x69 line is picky about the memory modules it "likes" and not everything will work. Worse yet, it seems the memory manufacturers aren't very consistent. Newer modules of the same exact part number that worked for others before sometimes don't work.

On the other hand, when I was ordering my hardware I didn't know this and simply got lucky. The module I picked with zero research works fine, so perhaps it's not that bad.

2) The x69 series do not (last I checked) support QNAP's "Virtualization Station" hypervisor, so all the functionality you describe wanting above will have to be "out of the box" QTS. If your plan was to run a Linux VM or two on the NAS, it's not the right NAS for that. QTS has some support for everything you listed specifically, but coming from the background of doing it from scratch, you could be disappointed by how a lot of that is implemented. File sharing will be fine, the web server should be ok, but mail and VPN, for example, seem to be features generating many questions and complaints. Depending on what you expect, it's not going to be the same as running your own Linux box.
DICKHILL
Starting out

Post by DICKHILL »

dolbyman wrote:in times of free returns .. get 4GB .. try it .. if it fails,return it ..
The TS-669 Pro I'm looking at, are used and therefore without the possibility of returning.
If I decide to buy a brand new one (ie. TS-653A), a return won't be necessary, since it's up-to-date. (SATA-3, 4x NICs, Min. 8GB RAM, etc.)

I'm just trying to save some money, which doesn't seems possible, if it should be useful.

kherr4377 wrote:everywhere i see a 8GB 673 is $1100. upgrade the memory yourself ... a lot cheaper .. do it in stages. my 32GB cost $266

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BN ... UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NA ... =UTF8&th=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MT ... =UTF8&th=1

if you want a higher end features, your not going to get it for free. the 669 is 4 years old. technology changes fast

the 673 is just one model, there are many others .....
I'm living in Denmark and therefore looking at the Danish websites, where they all are being sold for "overprice"...
And if I'm buying outside EU, I have to pay taxes, etc., which then can get more expensive than just buying a new one from a local webshop... :shock:

Here are some examples:
- Used TS-412 for around $170 - With 2x 2TB unknown HDDs
- Used TS-669 Pro for around $430 - Without HDDs and are the newest and biggest model for sale.
- Used TS-419P for around $430 - With 2x 1,5TB Seagate
- Used TVS-682T for around $2200 - With 4x 2TB WD Red.

- New TS-653A-4G for around $890
- New TS-453A-4G for around $600
- New TVS-873-8G for around $1400
- New TVS-673-16G for around $1900

Idlewizard wrote:

The Atom CPU being used in the x69 series is "not quite there" as a 64-bit platform. It can execute 64-bit instructions, but some of the supporting hardware can only address a 32-bit address space. While that makes the theoretical address space 4GB, almost 1GB of that is lost to various reserved spaces and technology limitations. I think you should be able to plug in 2x2GB modules just fine, but might not end up with any significant usable memory increase over adding just one 2GB module to the 1GB it comes with.

Two more things you should be aware of:

1) Memory compatibility: search this forum for posts about that and good luck. The x69 line is picky about the memory modules it "likes" and not everything will work. Worse yet, it seems the memory manufacturers aren't very consistent. Newer modules of the same exact part number that worked for others before sometimes don't work.

On the other hand, when I was ordering my hardware I didn't know this and simply got lucky. The module I picked with zero research works fine, so perhaps it's not that bad.

2) The x69 series do not (last I checked) support QNAP's "Virtualization Station" hypervisor, so all the functionality you describe wanting above will have to be "out of the box" QTS. If your plan was to run a Linux VM or two on the NAS, it's not the right NAS for that. QTS has some support for everything you listed specifically, but coming from the background of doing it from scratch, you could be disappointed by how a lot of that is implemented. File sharing will be fine, the web server should be ok, but mail and VPN, for example, seem to be features generating many questions and complaints. Depending on what you expect, it's not going to be the same as running your own Linux box.
Oh! So thats why my 32-bit VM can't use more than 3GB RAM! :D
I had actually forgot all about that, so thanks for reminding me. (:

But after reading your post, I now really can see that an older model won't meet my requirements at all.
Especially not now, or even later on.

So I will keep my server running and when I really need to expand, I will buy a brand new one.

About "Virtualization Station", then no... The x69 doesn't support it.
But it does support "Virtualization Storage", which was what i mentioned and was planning to use.

But if it did support "Virtualization Station", I think I had bought it without asking for advice.
Because, of what I can read, QNAP doesn't quite support a useful mail-server.
So I would therefore setup an VM just to run a mail-server.
//NO^DICKHILL

Return to “Presales”