Need a replacement for a TS-509 Pro

Interested in our products? Post your questions here. Let us answer before you buy.
andyfitz
Starting out

Need a replacement for a TS-509 Pro

Post by andyfitz »

Hi Everyone -

I've had my TS-509 for a long time. It appears the NIC card has died on me, as it no longer can get an IP address. I've posted elsewhere asking for advice on how to fix it and currently am going back and forth with QNAP, but I don't have much hope.

So, assuming it is dead, I'm going to need to replace it. When I bought it 9 years ago, there weren't many options, so it was easy to pick. Now I am overwhelmed. Could someone help me narrow down my choices?

Here are the features I'm looking for:
- migrate data from the TS-509 Pro on 4.2.3 to the new NAS just by popping in the drives. It seems like it should be easy to do: http://docs.qnap.com/nas/4.2/SMB/en/ind ... ration.htm
- play nice with a UPS
- more storage than 4 TB. I am an amateur photographer with two kids and each RAW still image is ~23 MB. I would err on the side of too much storage capability rather than too little. The 509 can't take drives larger than 1 TB (I think), and this was frustrating when trying to upgrade drives. I don't think I'll need more than 16 TB, but depending on price difference I probably wouldn't regret it.
- VPN service. I have two IP cameras that I used as baby monitors, but I can only access them on my own network. I want to use the NAS VPN to be able to view the cameras securely outside my network. I've never done any recording of IP camera video to the NAS because Surveillance Station was not copperating when I tried to use it and I couldn't get anything else to play nice with the NAS. I think the processor might not have been enough on the 509, as it couldn't do the video smoothly. If I could get Surveillance Station to work, I would use that with two IP cameras.
- ability to accept SSDs and HDDs, as at some point HDDs won't make sense to use anymore.
- I assume all the new NASs can run the Amazon Glacier app, as that's what I use for backup.

- if it's possible, I would like to use the NAS as a OTA (over the air via antenna) DVR for TV. We don't have cable, and I've seen DVRs specifically for OTA TV. If it's possible to do this with the NAS, that would be awesome. We consume our content via Netflix and HBO Go and stuff, so I don't have a media library I intend on streaming via Plex or anything.

Any major new things in the world of NAS's that wasn't around 9 years ago? Thanks in advance for all your advice and input.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Need a replacement for a TS-509 Pro

Post by dolbyman »

any intel powered unit should take the drives just fine (check the manual for the migration)...although you will be stuck on legacy mode ..so ultimately a backup (you should have one anyways) and restore should be done

in terms of dvr..most of it is a can of worms due to the driver compatibility with the embedded linux of the nas ...so you might want to get one of those mini pcs to do that (with the qnap as the storage target)
nils_heidorn
Starting out

Post by nils_heidorn »

dolbyman wrote:any intel powered unit should take the drives just fine (check the manual for the migration)...although you will be stuck on legacy mode ..so ultimately a backup (you should have one anyways) and restore should be done

in terms of dvr..most of it is a can of worms due to the driver compatibility with the embedded linux of the nas ...so you might want to get one of those mini pcs to do that (with the qnap as the storage target)
Hi !
What do you mean by "legacy mode" ?
(not wanting to hijack this).
I want to migrate from TS-439 (32 Bit Intel) to TS-469 (64 Bit intel) and i am in doubt.

Thx for additional info abou the caveats of that process :-)

Nils
QNAP TS-932X with 8GB Ram, Storage: 4 x 4TB HDD and 2 x 240GByte for QTier
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Hallo Niels,
nils_heidorn wrote:What do you mean by "legacy mode" ? I want to migrate from TS-439 (32 Bit Intel) to TS-469 (64 Bit intel) and i am in doubt.
The existing legacy HDD storage has (or does keep) the limited functionality following the migration. Here some more background: How to completely upgrade your NAS from QTS 3.8 to QTS 4.0?
nils_heidorn wrote:Thx for additional info about the caveats of that process
The TS-469 will work with the HDDs migrated from the TS-439 - as documented in QTS 4.3 Docs: Migrating NAS. You just can't take any advantages out of the new storage management, the admin options on the legacy volume might be limited, too.

-Kurt
nils_heidorn
Starting out

Post by nils_heidorn »

schumaku wrote:Hallo Niels,
nils_heidorn wrote:What do you mean by "legacy mode" ? I want to migrate from TS-439 (32 Bit Intel) to TS-469 (64 Bit intel) and i am in doubt.
The existing legacy HDD storage has (or does keep) the limited functionality following the migration. Here some more background: How to completely upgrade your NAS from QTS 3.8 to QTS 4.0?
nils_heidorn wrote:Thx for additional info about the caveats of that process
The TS-469 will work with the HDDs migrated from the TS-439 - as documented in QTS 4.3 Docs: Migrating NAS. You just can't take any advantages out of the new storage management, the admin options on the legacy volume might be limited, too.

-Kurt
Hello Kurt, thanks for the elaborate answer, i apreciate that very much !
Would it minimize transitional problems if i downgarde the TS-469 Firmware to the exact version i have on my TS439 ?
(TS 439: latest 4.2x, TS469 latest 4.3.x)

Greetings,

Nils
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

nils_heidorn wrote:Would it minimize transitional problems if i downgarde the TS-469 Firmware to the exact version i have on my TS439 ?
Nothing wrong with this idea if you have some HDD or two at hand.
nils_heidorn
Starting out

Post by nils_heidorn »

schumaku wrote:
nils_heidorn wrote:Would it minimize transitional problems if i downgarde the TS-469 Firmware to the exact version i have on my TS439 ?
Nothing wrong with this idea if you have some HDD or two at hand.

Yes, luckily i can borrow 3 x 3 TB.
In my old NAS i have 4x4 but "just" using 70%.

SO my plan is:
install the same FW version on the 469 that i have in my 439, create a non-redundant 9TB Filesystem using the 3x3TB HDD's.
Then backup all data to the 469.
THEN put the 4x4 from the 439 in the 469, fingers crossed.
If all works, upgrade 469 to current FW. If that still works, THEN clear the 3x3 and give them back, sell my 439.

Now you got my plan :-)

THANK you for giving me more confidence, i have hoped its that easy...

Nils

Return to “Presales”