Help - Newbie

Interested in our products? Post your questions here. Let us answer before you buy.
anne2001
First post

Help - Newbie

Post by anne2001 »

Hi all,

I'm in the market for a Qnap NAS, but the whole concept is new to me and my technical knowledge is limited. I'm trying to figure out if an NAS can do I want to achieve before I spend a heap of cash on it.

In short, my requirements are:
- To be able to store my movies downloaded from iTunes on the NAS and watch them on either of the two samsung tvs in my house, preferably via HDMI as I am spending quite a lot of money on a good HDMI matrix also.
- What apps/programmes would I have to download to achieve this, or can I do it directly from the NAS 'operating system'?
- To be able to keep the NAS in a central hub and control it via long range wireless mouse & keyboard using the tvs as monitors

I know there are heaps of other feature such as remote access etc which I fully intend to utilise, but my major concern is about storing and iTunes files and watching them on an Samsung tv without having an apple tv or iTunes platform. I'm getting a bit confused with all the information out there, and my understanding of technical jargon is not fantastic.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Help - Newbie

Post by dolbyman »

-is itunes stuff drm free ?...if yes dlna should work fine
-try the built-in ones first
-most configs are done via webfrontend ..so no need for a long range input..just a local browser
gggplaya
Been there, done that

Re: Help - Newbie

Post by gggplaya »

I don't think you'll be able to play any files directly on the NAS from itunes. The best way to do it is to probably create a virtual machine on the NAS, and run itunes, then enable itunes file sharing. Then use an appleTV, with the itunes app or Infuse app. This however, is not for a novice.

Probably the best way for you is to buy a MAC mini and plug in an external hard drive. Then keep it running as an itunes server. Then use apple tv, or use your TV's as a MacOS monitor. For an ultra long range remote, you can just use an ipad mini or android tablet with the apple TV remote app.

I personally don't buy itunes movies, but I do love my appletv's.

Of course, the above all assumes the Itunes library has DRM.

If you've removed the DRM or if itunes no longer uses DRM. Then you can just dump the video files onto a folder in the NAS and use DLNA, Plex, or other app on the samsung to play the movies. You could use KODI directly on the NAS as well, or use an apple tv4 with infuse.

Return to “Presales”