TS-563 Questions

Interested in our products? Post your questions here. Let us answer before you buy.
unicav
New here

TS-563 Questions

Post by unicav »

I'm looking at a TS-563 and have questions based on my experience with other brand products:

1 - Can the 2 Network connections, or 4 if the 2x1Gb card is added, be used together for "Load Balancing" or "Aggregation" without having to set up Port Trunking, LAG or LACP on the switch?

2 - Can backups to the USB drive be scheduled, multiple USB backup jobs defined?

3 - How hard is it to change the network name on the NAS? (again this is from prior experience with another NAS. I needed to rename a unit and afterward all the shared folders had the OLD server\share name not the new one. Could not be resolved without probably wiping the entire unit and all data which is ultimately why it's being replaced with a different brand)

My needs are pretty basic. I'd like a RAID 5 or 6 volume with 5 4-TB drives. I don't have a 10gb capable switch but I have extra ports so I'd like to be able to aggregate or load balance up to 4 1gb ports to increase multiple connection speeds. Office with 20 Windows Workstations, 3 Windows servers on an AD. I want to be able to share workgroup folders and users' home directories on the NAS and be able to have multiple backups on a secure folder on the NAS, and external backups on the USB. No multimedia involved. Eventually I'd like to have a duplicate of the NAS for replication.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: TS-563 Questions

Post by dolbyman »

1- I guess you mean something like a LAN team device ? No I don't think that works
2- Yes, and Yes
3- Easy, you just give the NAS any name you want or change it to whatever you want
unicav
New here

Post by unicav »

So how can the multiple LAN ports be used on QNAP?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Yes for trunking or for different subnets
https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/tutorial ... d-protocol
gregoinc
Know my way around

Post by gregoinc »

I've had the LAN ports on my TS-563 as LACP link aggregation... why, because IMO having the QNAP and network switch configured to work together is way ahead of attempting link aggregation on a 'dumb' switch. In my experience setting link aggregation on an unmanaged switch the QNAP basically attempts to have an 'in port' and an 'out port' which has it's challenges on performance and can result in network loops. Best advice I can give you is try the various options... and read this post viewtopic.php?t=61675 as it contains some good advice/info.
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

1. Yes, you can use Balance-tlb, Balance-alb and Active Backup modes in the NAS. Getting managed switches supporting LACP and using IEEE 802.3ad instead is however much, much better.

You can read about the different modes in the documentation.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!

Return to “Presales”