Pre-Sale questions for 2 Bay QNAP

Interested in our products? Post your questions here. Let us answer before you buy.
ChaoscripT
New here

Pre-Sale questions for 2 Bay QNAP

Post by ChaoscripT »

Hi,
I Interested to buy 2 Bay QNAP NAS,
But have some questions before to see if it's can fullfill my requirements,
So my requirements:
1. First and must important survivability
2. Backup & Download Movies & Series (And access from internet)
3. Backup (Automate?) Phones, iPhones/Android
4. Backup (Automate?) Computers? Maybe each X time (like every night or something)
5. Prefer GUI to easy manage and control the NAS
6. Support from smartphone will be awesome

I know that the 2 Bay QNAP comes with HDMI, I don't will use it, as the NAS will sit away from me or TV.
But it will connect direct to router/switch.

Thank you so much.

Regards.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Pre-Sale questions for 2 Bay QNAP

Post by dolbyman »

1. what does mean ?

2. check the forum there is plenty of scripts (both arm and x64 platform)

3.never done that sorry

4. use whatever software you prefer

5.qts is a gui (web based)

6. there are apps for limited management functions

there is a couple of 2 bay qnaps ...with arm or x64 .. with and without hdmi
ChaoscripT
New here

Post by ChaoscripT »

Hi,
Thanks for answers,
1. I mean that it will be reliable for backup my data (I think it's mean to make RAID, not to lose all the data when something happen)
Questions 2-4 these questions to know if it's possible to make these things.
ensignvorik
Easy as a breeze

Post by ensignvorik »

1. If you mean RAID, then yes, if a drive fails, you can rebuild the raid by replacing the drive, however RAID is not a replacement for a backup, you should ensure you still have a sound backup stratgety either to an external drive, another NAS, or cloud storage.

2. Torrent/usenet software is available, as well as automated software like sickrage/couchpotato/radarr/sonor

3. If you mean the whole phone so you can restore the phone to another handset including all settings, then no i don't think so. There is a photo app i believe which will backup your photos.

4. Various apps available, or use software that has networking built in to save disk image to a network share

5. Primary management is GUI based.

6. Various QNAP apps available that let you at least monitor or transfer files, you can log into QTS via the browser on youe mobile device,
Unless I'm being blind, I can't find the setting to change what kind of QNAP I have on my profile. I now own a TS-253A
ChaoscripT
New here

Post by ChaoscripT »

3. Photo/Videos App I know that there are,
But I mean whole phone,
Create backup and upload to NAS.
ensignvorik
Easy as a breeze

Post by ensignvorik »

ChaoscripT wrote:3. Photo/Videos App I know that there are,
But I mean whole phone,
Not that I know of, and if Apple, the only way to do this is with iTunes/iCloud.
Unless I'm being blind, I can't find the setting to change what kind of QNAP I have on my profile. I now own a TS-253A
Johnno72
Easy as a breeze

Post by Johnno72 »

ChaoscripT wrote:3. Photo/Videos App I know that there are,
But I mean whole phone,
I use the built in Backup function on my Lumia 1520 which is saves the file to my SD in the phone, I then connect my phone to USB and copy the file to my NAS, simple, takes like 5 minutes all up.

It looks like most are using cloud storage, Google, Dropbox etc. for their backups, if this is the case you should be able to set the NAS to reach out to Google, Dropbox etc. and pull that backup to the NAS.

You will need to start with investigating your phone backup. If Apple phone, iTunes can backup your iPhone, iPad, iPod to the NAS, here is a link to a website with instructions I found for you

Apple:
http://nas-ho.me/?p=263

Android:
https://forums.androidcentral.com/t-gal ... p-nas.html
https://community.netgear.com/t5/New-to ... d-p/976438
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... mscontacts
NAS: QNAP TS-EC2480U-RP 16G 24 Bay - Firmware: v4.4.3.1421 build 20200907. Updated from v4.4.3.1400 Build 20200817 Official
StoragePool / DataVol: Storage Pool 1 / DataVol1: Single 29.04TB - Thick Volume: 29TB
HDD's: Western Digital - Model: WDC WD4001FFSX-68JUN0 Red Pro NAS 3.5"
HDD Size: 4TB - HDD Firmware all HDD's: 81.00A81
RAID Configuration: RAID6 x 10, HotSpare x 1, ColdSpare x 1 - Network: 1GbE
UPS: CyberPower PR3000ELCDRT2U Professional Rackmount LCD 3000VA, 2250W 2U Line Interactive UPS
QNAP Hardware details required: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=68954
Remote Administration of: TVS-863+ 16G on UPS Cyberpower OLS1500E+RMcard205
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

ChaoscripT wrote:Hi,
I Interested to buy 2 Bay QNAP NAS,
But have some questions before to see if it's can fullfill my requirements,
So my requirements:
hi there :) yes good choice.
ChaoscripT wrote: 1. First and must important survivability
depends on your hdd. at best a 2bay is raid1. if you want raid 5 or raid6, consider going for a 4bay model minimum. i recommend either a wd red pro or a hgst deskstar nas if you want hdd for reliability and bang for bucks. red pro has more performance and longer warranty, and hgst has a better rep for long term reliability, however it is 3 year warranty.
ChaoscripT wrote: 2. Backup & Download Movies & Series (And access from internet)
sounds like your a media heavy user. what kind of quality media do you normally play with? for me i use blue ray rips in x264 or x265. Even with a 4x 4tb raid5 setup, i'm more then half filled to capacity. a bd quality series episode in x264 can range from 1-1.6gb each. Or a movie 4-9gb.

If your the type that goes for re-encodes of encodes (which i'm my humble opinion is bad practice since it destroys the quality of the source too much by so many re-encodes) for a small file size, maybe you don't need as much storage capacity as i do.

But if quality for digital media matters to you i suggest a 4-6bay model at the least, using 4tb hdds if your a serious media enthusiast :mrgreen:

For streaming content to HDTV from NAS i suggest either kodi, plex or emby. Kodi is the most popular choice, i do that using a third party device Himedia (loaded with kodi) which streams content from the QNAP.

yes backing up using hybrid backup sync to rtrr and other methods is possible either to an external HDD, or NAS or even a cloud backup service.
ChaoscripT wrote: 3. Backup (Automate?) Phones, iPhones/Android
There are android apps that do have scheduled backups. One app comes to mind is titanium backup. Just purchase that app then point it toward your NAS to save backup to.
ChaoscripT wrote: 4. Backup (Automate?) Computers? Maybe each X time (like every night or something)
Yes qnap does have something that does this. personally i tested a third party app called aomei backupper, that works on QNAP as well for backing up desktop to NAS.
ChaoscripT wrote: 5. Prefer GUI to easy manage and control the NAS
that is exactly why i got a qnap. for very technical users, they can still go command line putty as well, but for most of us a lot of the functionality is tied into the QTS user interface for managing the qnap.

ChaoscripT wrote: 6. Support from smartphone will be awesome
qnap has their own mobile app for managing from smartphone.

ChaoscripT wrote: I know that the 2 Bay QNAP comes with HDMI, I don't will use it, as the NAS will sit away from me or TV.
But it will connect direct to router/switch.
I don't either. Instead i use wireless. the qnap ts-653a is connected to router directly which has wireless, and my hdtv is connected to a himedia device which is wireless capable (also dlna support to connect to the qnap as well. not to mention other apps on it like kodi which too can add shares from qnap to stream direct from) :mrgreen:

PS: if transcoding is something you care about, maybe go for a i3, i5 or i7 (or wait for the amd ryzen) models which won't have transcoding performance issues. if all you do is directplay (no transcoding), then any model will work fine.
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin

Return to “Presales”