Help to choose right product

Interested in our products? Post your questions here. Let us answer before you buy.
aztrix55
New here

Help to choose right product

Post by aztrix55 »

Hi

I am streamlining a small business.

Requirements are:

Platform to have 6 laptops, 7 ipads, 2 desktops all under the one roof. with remote management capabilities

Have complete control on what users are able to access in terms of applications, files and web pages - for laptops and desktops

MDM management for ipads

It needs to be an easy to use interface

TIA Noob
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Help to choose right product

Post by dolbyman »

nothing of that sort on qnap

(mac or pc managment etc)
QNAPDanielFL
Easy as a breeze

Post by QNAPDanielFL »

do you mean that you want complete control over what files and web pages users access on the NAS or do you want control over what files and websites people access from their computers? You can set up users on the NAS with different permissions to access different folders on the NAS. But the NAS is not going to regulate what websites or files people access on or from their computers.
aztrix55
New here

Post by aztrix55 »

Hi
Ideally I want control over what files and websites people access from their computers. I was hoping I could use QNAP like a mini server/domain pre configured to make it easier for me to do so.

Thanks for the reply
QNAPDanielFL
Easy as a breeze

Post by QNAPDanielFL »

QNAP NAS can act as a domain controller or LDAP server. But I am not familiar with this feature and I don't know if it can do what you are looking for.
Trexx
Ask me anything

Post by Trexx »

aztrix55 wrote:Hi
Ideally I want control over what files and websites people access from their computers. I was hoping I could use QNAP like a mini server/domain pre configured to make it easier for me to do so.

Thanks for the reply
Control over what files on the NAS people can access, sure that is doable. Control over what websites they access, with a beefy enough box you could deploy an Proxy/Firewall type app but then your QNAP becomes the single point of failure for everything. And that ISN'T going to be something that comes "out of the box".

I think your better bet is to get in touch with a VAR who can both help design an appropriate solutions as well as SUPPORT it after it is deployed.
Paul

Model: TS-877-1600 FW: 4.5.3.x
QTS (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 1TB WD Blue m.2's
Data (HDD): [RAID-5] 6 x 3TB HGST DeskStar
VMs (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x1TB SK Hynix Gold
Ext. (HDD): TR-004 [Raid-5] 4 x 4TB HGST Ultastor
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 64GB DDR4-2666
UPS: CP AVR1350

Model:TVS-673 32GB & TS-228a Offline[/color]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Plex NAS Compatibility Guide | QNAP Plex FAQ | Moogle's QNAP Faq
aspomwell
Know my way around

Post by aspomwell »

I know that QTS is capable of acting as a Domain Controller, but I'd be wary of using it as one in a business environment without some kind of business level support. While I absolutely love mine for home use I wouldn't want my business to depend on it. I'm sure many people will disagree with me on this though.
TVS-673 16GB 6x6TB WD Red WD60EFRX-68L0BN1 in RAID6
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

aztrix55 wrote:Hi
Platform to have 6 laptops, 7 ipads, 2 desktops all under the one roof. with remote management capabilities
uh... you probably thinking of a different thing o_O: remote management though implies you need vpn probably with ssl for a secure connection remotely over the internet.
aztrix55 wrote: Have complete control on what users are able to access in terms of applications, files and web pages - for laptops and desktops
router is the network access point for all the users to access the internet. so you can block access to certain sites or categories of sites like adult site blocker and other content not suitable for children. there few ways to do this. but this is done on router... you could even monitor sites their browsing via the router as well... then later block those sites you want to prohibit from future visits... hm

If instead your storing files onto qnap nas for storage, and you want to control who has access to those files, yes thats possible. you can setup multiple users, and restrict their access to specific shares of the qnap, also limit what they can do, read/write or both etc.
aztrix55 wrote: TIA Noob
remote is always risky especially for newbs. you need to ensure proper security practises if you intended to use remote features. keep stuff up to date, and don't do silly things like enabling upnp because you couldn't bother manual port forward, etc..
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin

Return to “Presales”