Better to max out available drive slots or add drives over time

Interested in our products? Post your questions here. Let us answer before you buy.
landseer_sg
Starting out

Better to max out available drive slots or add drives over time

Post by landseer_sg »

Hi, I am planning for the TS1277 and wondering if I should start with 8 hdd now or to start smaller and add more hdd over time.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sam
Toxic17
Ask me anything

Re: Better to max out available drive slots or add drives over time

Post by Toxic17 »

Hi and Welcome to the forums

Though this is usually a personal choice, I guess it is better to add over time so that Hard disks are not from the same batch and have the same warranty date. if a disc failed, you might have multiple failures at once which could destroy an array. this is of course very rare, but worth taking note of.
Regards Simon

Qnap Downloads
MyQNap.Org Repository
Submit a ticket • QNAP Helpdesk
QNAP Tutorials, User Manuals, FAQs, Downloads, Wiki
When you ask a question, please include the following

NAS: TS-673A QuTS hero h5.1.2.2534 • TS-121 4.3.3.2420 • APC Back-UPS ES 700G
Network: VM Hub3: 500/50 • UniFi UDM Pro: 3.2.9 • UniFi Network Controller: 8.0.28
USW-Aggregation: 6.6.61 • US-16-150W: 6.6.61 • 2x USW Mini Flex 2.0.0 • UniFi AC Pro 6.6.62 • UniFi U6-LR 6.6.62
UniFi Protect: 2.11.21/8TB Skyhawk AI • 3x G3 Instants: 4.69.55 • UniFi G3 Flex: 4.69.55 • UniFi G5 Flex: 4.69.55
landseer_sg
Starting out

Post by landseer_sg »

Thanks Simon. Much appreciated.

Sam
QNAPDanielFL
Easy as a breeze

Post by QNAPDanielFL »

I don't see many downsides to buying over time. I would rather buy over time because the price of drives over time will likely decrease. If you wait to buy until you need the space you should get a better price.
landseer_sg
Starting out

Post by landseer_sg »

Sound advice. Thanks Daniel.

Sam
Trexx
Ask me anything

Post by Trexx »

The only * I would add to the comments above are related to using the 2.5" drives slots for SSD's.

Currently if you want to leverage QNAP's QTier functionality, you have to set it up at the time of Storage Pool creation. So if you were going to use say the 4xSSD + 8xHDD in a QTier config, you would probably want to get the 4xSSD right away (especially if you were thinking RAID-10 for them).

I don't believe you would need to have all 8xHDD's in place at that time though so you could expand those down the road.
Paul

Model: TS-877-1600 FW: 4.5.3.x
QTS (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 1TB WD Blue m.2's
Data (HDD): [RAID-5] 6 x 3TB HGST DeskStar
VMs (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x1TB SK Hynix Gold
Ext. (HDD): TR-004 [Raid-5] 4 x 4TB HGST Ultastor
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 64GB DDR4-2666
UPS: CP AVR1350

Model:TVS-673 32GB & TS-228a Offline[/color]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Plex NAS Compatibility Guide | QNAP Plex FAQ | Moogle's QNAP Faq
landseer_sg
Starting out

Post by landseer_sg »

@Trexx, actually I'm thinking of setting up 8x3.5inch in Raid 10 for movies, and 4x2.5inch for music, also Raid 10. I think I might use the M.2 for the tiering, if that is a possible configuration.

I currently have a Dlink DNS 343 for music and 2x Netgear Readynas Business Pro, one for movies and the other a backup - DNS in Raid 5, Readynas in Raid 6.

Once the TS 1277 is acquired, I plan to use the Readynas as backups. The DNS I shall retire - its too slow.
Don
Guru

Post by Don »

I would use one RAID 6 for all storage instead of RAID 10.
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +
jds580s
Know my way around

Post by jds580s »

The only argument I can think of for doing all 8x HDD drives at once would be speed. If you are planning to purchase a 10GbE card you will be better able to saturate it's available bandwidth with a larger numbers of drives.

Aside from that, I agree that ramping up is typically better. Get the fewest number and largest capacity drives that meet your storage/redundancy/budget requirements today, and then add more as your storage needs increase - with the added benefit that the drive costs will likely come down and your manufacture/warranty dates will be scattered.

Model: TVS-1282-i5-16G

[list]
[*]Firmware: QTS 4.5.3.1652 build 20210428
[*]Network: 10GbE ASUS XG-C100C card, MTU 9k
[*]RAID 1: [System] 2x WD Blue M.2 SSD 250GB
[*]RAID 6: [DATA] 5x HGST HDN728080ALE604 8TB
[list]
[*] Qtier RAID 1: 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB + 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500GB
[*] Cache RAID 1: 2x Samsung SSD 960 EVO 500GB NVMe M.2 in two NGFF PCIe 3.0 x4 adapter cards[/list][/list]
Model: TS-459 Pro
[list]
[*]Firmware: QTS 4.2.6 build 20210327
[*]RAID 6: 2x HGST HDN724030ALE640 3TB, x2 Seagate ST3000VN000 3TB
[*]External: 4TB HGST eSATA Drive, UPS
[*]Network: 1 Gbps, MTU 1500[/list]
[/color]
Trexx
Ask me anything

Post by Trexx »

landseer_sg wrote:@Trexx, actually I'm thinking of setting up 8x3.5inch in Raid 10 for movies, and 4x2.5inch for music, also Raid 10. I think I might use the M.2 for the tiering, if that is a possible configuration.

I currently have a Dlink DNS 343 for music and 2x Netgear Readynas Business Pro, one for movies and the other a backup - DNS in Raid 5, Readynas in Raid 6.

Once the TS 1277 is acquired, I plan to use the Readynas as backups. The DNS I shall retire - its too slow.
For the 4x2.5" I would do Raid-5. You won't need RAID-6 for that small of a raid group, and you won't gain any significant performance (especially in the Ryzen series) from Raid-10 vs. Raid-5.

You can use the m.2 for tiering, straight storage (storage pool) or caching which could come in handy if you will have 10GbE NW. Mainly helps with random i/o usage, not so much for sequential usage.
Paul

Model: TS-877-1600 FW: 4.5.3.x
QTS (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 1TB WD Blue m.2's
Data (HDD): [RAID-5] 6 x 3TB HGST DeskStar
VMs (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x1TB SK Hynix Gold
Ext. (HDD): TR-004 [Raid-5] 4 x 4TB HGST Ultastor
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 64GB DDR4-2666
UPS: CP AVR1350

Model:TVS-673 32GB & TS-228a Offline[/color]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Plex NAS Compatibility Guide | QNAP Plex FAQ | Moogle's QNAP Faq
landseer_sg
Starting out

Post by landseer_sg »

Think I'll just do that. Thanks Paul.
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

landseer_sg wrote:@Trexx, actually I'm thinking of setting up 8x3.5inch in Raid 10 for movies...
RAID 6 would be faster, more reliable and give you more available storage than RAID 10.
...4x2.5inch for music, also Raid 10.
Wow! SSDs for a very low bandwidth sequential application like music streaming my be considered a slight overkill hardware configuration.

Why not have the music in a shared folder called Music and the movies in a shared folder called Movies on the mechanical disks instead? That could save you much money with absolutely no difference in performance. Already the change from RAID 10 to RAID 6 I suggested above would probably give you plenty of room for the music as well unless your music collection approaches the size of Spotify or Tidal.
I think I might use the M.2 for the tiering, if that is a possible configuration.
Why do you think you need tiering? The data you've mentioned so far suggests the usage for this NAS is media streaming that 8 mechanical disks should do just fine without any SSD support at all.

If the streaming involves live transcoding you may have use for the CPU but disks unlikely will be a bottleneck unless we're talking of many concurrent streams. Do you intend to use much live transcoding?

Is media streaming the only use for this NAS? How many concurrent streams of movies and music respectively?

What does the networking look like? 1, 10 or 40 GbE?
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
Don
Guru

Post by Don »

I agree with P3R. SSD and tiering is overkill to play music and movies. Will provide no benefit. Neither will RAID 10.
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +
landseer_sg
Starting out

Post by landseer_sg »

Hi, just got to see the latest advice. Thanks a lot. I think based on the comments for my intended use, the TS1277 could be way overkill. I have also considered the TVS873. But I am smitten by the Ryzen CPU and would like to future-proof for up to 7 years. My Netgear Readynas had served me well and still going strong but for 1080p transcoding, which they cannot cope with, nor run Plex.

Based on my intended use and future-proofing, would the capabilities of the Ryzen significantly warrant its selection over the TVS873's CPU? The TS1277 will hopefully be out soon and I have to make a decision to buy that or the TVS873.

Thanks again in advance for your comments and advice. Its been very helpful and enlightening.
landseer_sg
Starting out

Post by landseer_sg »

BTW, my current network is 1Gbe based (Asus RTAC88U) but will be upgrading to cat7 10Gbe with Qnap QSW-1208-8c once its available. Media streaming is the main use, up to 3 streams to 2 TVs and 1x ipad (via cloud). If possible, gaming with GPU pass through, but not critical.

Return to “Presales”