Which TS-251 for me?

Interested in our products? Post your questions here. Let us answer before you buy.
tevake
New here

Which TS-251 for me?

Post by tevake »

I am looking for a replacement for my very old Netgear ReadyNAS Duo.

I am looking to put together a 2 bay QNAP TS-251 but note there are 3 different versions. Can you please share main difference and release dates of

TS-251
TS-251+
TS-251A

And steer me to the unit I should purchase. I am looking for good speed (will pair with a link aggregating switch), RAID mirroring, and am interested in new to me stuff such as PLEX server and cloud type data access when I am travelling.

Appreciate any advice. I'd rather spend a few extra $100 up front than have regrets in a year.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Which TS-251 for me?

Post by dolbyman »

The QNAP site has a comparison feature built right in .. and there is several threads already discussing it in here
tevake
New here

Post by tevake »

I had forgotten why I quit going to forums for information
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

If you still have any questions after having looked at the very informative product comparison and the links provided by dolbyman, welcome back!
Last edited by P3R on Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
CylonCenturion

Post by CylonCenturion »

tevake wrote:I am looking for a replacement for my very old Netgear ReadyNAS Duo.

I am looking to put together a 2 bay QNAP TS-251 but note there are 3 different versions. Can you please share main difference and release dates of

TS-251
TS-251+
TS-251A

And steer me to the unit I should purchase. I am looking for good speed (will pair with a link aggregating switch), RAID mirroring, and am interested in new to me stuff such as PLEX server and cloud type data access when I am travelling.

Appreciate any advice. I'd rather spend a few extra $100 up front than have regrets in a year.
TS-251: https://www.qnap.com/en/product/model.php?II=142
TS-251A: https://www.qnap.com/en/product/model.php?II=239

The main differnce is the processor.
QNAPDanielFL
Easy as a breeze

Post by QNAPDanielFL »

I would personally go for the 251+ because I favor processing power over other features. The 251A has better integrated graphics but I don't use integrated graphics because I transcode to other devices I play my media on and that is done by the processor. If I was using the HDMI on the NAS then I would probably feel differently but for my usage, I prioritize processing power over everything else so I would favor the 251+. Depending on what you want to use the NAS for, either the 251A or 251+ could be better.

Return to “Presales”