Raid group SSD + M2

Interested in our products? Post your questions here. Let us answer before you buy.
chris1317
Starting out

Raid group SSD + M2

Post by chris1317 »

Hi,

Does anyone know if it is possible to create a raid 5 group on a TS882T between the SSD's and the M2 drives?

I was thinking of creating at qtier setup utilising the 2x 1TB M2 and 2x1TB SSD in one raid group and the rest of the mechanical disks as another.

Thanks
Trexx
Ask me anything

Re: Raid group SSD + M2

Post by Trexx »

I am not sure. They system will see the m.2 & SATA SSD's as different device "types" as it does distinguish m.2's uniquely. But I am not sure if it will let you pool them into 1 tier level or not.

I would say give it a try. If it doesn't let you, you can either use them as 2 different QTier levels, or use 1 for SSD Caching and the other for QTier.

Hopefully Jason will swing by and give us an "official" answer :)
Paul

Model: TS-877-1600 FW: 4.5.3.x
QTS (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 1TB WD Blue m.2's
Data (HDD): [RAID-5] 6 x 3TB HGST DeskStar
VMs (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x1TB SK Hynix Gold
Ext. (HDD): TR-004 [Raid-5] 4 x 4TB HGST Ultastor
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 64GB DDR4-2666
UPS: CP AVR1350

Model:TVS-673 32GB & TS-228a Offline[/color]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Plex NAS Compatibility Guide | QNAP Plex FAQ | Moogle's QNAP Faq
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Built-in M.2 SATA, standard HDD/SDD SATA slots, QM2 module M.2 SATA (and even PCIe), plus even expansion box hosted slots) are handled the same way. Can't see any reason why these can't be combined into a single RAID Group.
DarfNader
Know my way around

Post by DarfNader »

schumaku wrote:Built-in M.2 SATA, standard HDD/SDD SATA slots, QM2 module M.2 SATA (and even PCIe), plus even expansion box hosted slots) are handled the same way. Can't see any reason why these can't be combined into a single RAID Group.
I could almost hug you!

I am pulling my hair out in another thread because I bought a "compatible" m2.SSD which in fact is only compatible when you put it on a PCIE riser card. I didn't make the connection looking at the compatibility guide since at the time I didn't fully understand all the variants of how m2.SSDs can be attached to your motherboard so yeah... I basically got an m2.SSD that won't work in the m2.SSD slot because apparently mentioning that would have taking some fun out of the process I guess.

Anyway, this gives me the idea along with the 500 GB m2.SSD that needs to be riser-mounted, that instead of wasting so much precious SSD space with mirroring, I could get two more 500 GB m2.SSDs that actually [I}are[/I] compatible with the built-in m2.SSD SATA 6G/s ports, and with 3 of them I could in fact set them up as RAID 5 which is far less wasteful. Heck, If I really wanted to be efficient, I should get another m2.SSD to share a riser card with the other one I bought so I have 4 x 500 GB m2.SSDs which is a more efficient use of space for RAID 5 and would be absurdly fast. It almost makes just throwing antoher $750 at the project worth it!

Anyway, thanks for helping turn my lemons into lemonade.
"Everything I know I've learned from eating the brains of other people." - anon.

TVS-473
• FW v 4.6.3.0883 build 20190316
• 32 GB RAM
• 4 x 6TB SATA , RAID 5
• 2 x 1 TB m2.SSD, RAID 1 (QTier)

Return to “Presales”