Does HD Audio passthrough work with HS-251+/TS-251+ ?

Interested in our products? Post your questions here. Let us answer before you buy.
grahamlucas
New here

Does HD Audio passthrough work with HS-251+/TS-251+ ?

Post by grahamlucas »

I'm considering buying either the HS or TS-251+ primarily as a media server.

It will be connected by HDMI to a Denon X-3000 5.1 surround AVR and I plan to play MKV files which I've created from my Blu-ray collection.

The specifications claim 7.1 surround passthrough but nothing more specific, so before I buy, could somebody please confirm that the HS/TS-251+ will passthrough Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD-MA?

Thanks,
Graham
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Does HD Audio passthrough work with HS-251+/TS-251+ ?

Post by dolbyman »

there is a couple of threads that say hd audio is problematic...if the nas is used as the media player

but you said, you want to use it as the media server (with external player)

I use twonky on my super old 419p+ ARM unit ...works just fine ..even with Dolby Atmos
grahamlucas
New here

Post by grahamlucas »

Thanks for the quick reply - I used the wrong terminology. To clarify, I want to use the NAS as a media player, so connected directly via HDMI to the Denon AVR - no external player.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Normally I would say, aks QNAP for a definitive answer, but you are out of luck here.

They removed all DTS and Dolby Codecs (due to licensing issues) from the official software and even dropped official kodi support.

So you have to resort to sideloading KODI from a community source and QNAP will not give any support for that.

Here is one thread dealing with the HD audio output issue
viewtopic.php?f=177&t=121426
Trexx
Ask me anything

Post by Trexx »

From what I recall, HD Audio was problematic in Kodi 16.x releases, but I believe was improved in KODI 17.x.

This though is ultimately a KODI issue and not a QNAP one. I would check this thread: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?ti ... ough+Audio

(Corrected Link)
Last edited by Trexx on Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paul

Model: TS-877-1600 FW: 4.5.3.x
QTS (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 1TB WD Blue m.2's
Data (HDD): [RAID-5] 6 x 3TB HGST DeskStar
VMs (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x1TB SK Hynix Gold
Ext. (HDD): TR-004 [Raid-5] 4 x 4TB HGST Ultastor
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 64GB DDR4-2666
UPS: CP AVR1350

Model:TVS-673 32GB & TS-228a Offline[/color]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Plex NAS Compatibility Guide | QNAP Plex FAQ | Moogle's QNAP Faq
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Trexx wrote: would check this thread: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=289735
That seems to be for the android kernel

no idea what container environment HDStation is running on .. is it Android ? :S
Trexx
Ask me anything

Post by Trexx »

dolbyman wrote:
Trexx wrote: would check this thread: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=289735
That seems to be for the android kernel

no idea what container environment HDStation is running on .. is it Android ? :S
HD Stations container env. is Linux. Thanks for catching that, and I have updated the link to a more relevant one.
Paul

Model: TS-877-1600 FW: 4.5.3.x
QTS (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 1TB WD Blue m.2's
Data (HDD): [RAID-5] 6 x 3TB HGST DeskStar
VMs (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x1TB SK Hynix Gold
Ext. (HDD): TR-004 [Raid-5] 4 x 4TB HGST Ultastor
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 64GB DDR4-2666
UPS: CP AVR1350

Model:TVS-673 32GB & TS-228a Offline[/color]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Plex NAS Compatibility Guide | QNAP Plex FAQ | Moogle's QNAP Faq
grahamlucas
New here

Post by grahamlucas »

OP here. I bought the TS-251+ and my the experience of using it in a Home Theatre setup out of the box was pretty dire.

I tried QNAP's own apps first:
- Video Station, Music Station etc. I was unable to even play anything as they can't be controlled with the remote control.
- HD Player, no sound except from some stereo sources. Definitely no HD audio.
- Plex Server and Plex Home Theatre looked more promising as according to the description, "supports a wide variety of formats with high-definition audio". However only worked when transcoded - so no HD audio passthough.

I then tried third party software:
- I got Plex working with HD Audio passthrough thanks to this excellent guide: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/25794 ... d-feb-2017
- And I have Kodi working with HD Audio passthrough thanks to Father Mande's Kodi mentioned above. https://www.father-mande.ovh/page_qnap.html

So in conclusion, the TS-251+ can work with HD Audio Passthrough but not as supplied by QNAP and only if you're willing to spend a few hours installing and configuring third-party software. Hope that helps any other potential buyers!

Graham
gazingupward
New here

Post by gazingupward »

Hi. I know this is a few years after but I just got this NAS under the impression that it came with a kodi app and that it could play surround sound via the hdmi as the description said. However, no kodi and when trying to set up the hdmi output the only audio option is PCH (HDMI 0) which is only playing stereo not surround sound.
You mentioned you found a solution for the audio output through kodi but the link you posted is dead.
Can anyone helg direct me on how to get surround sound to play via hdmi passthrough?
Thanks!
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

either us an external player and use you nas as a nas

or check kodi threads for hdstation

viewtopic.php?f=295&t=146654

Return to “Presales”