TS-453A vs TS-453B

Interested in our products? Post your questions here. Let us answer before you buy.
sasoc
Starting out

TS-453A vs TS-453B

Post by sasoc »

Hi,

My long lasting QNAP TS-239 Pro just died few days ago (motherboard is gone, was told by local QNAP representative).
I am considering now TS-453A and TS-453B, where TS-453B has almost double price of TS-453A.

My primary usage of NAS is backup storage for my small business (and there are several virtual machine images which must be backuped) and as SVN/GIT server, sometimes as ftp/scp server for file sharing with my clients and partners. It plays also role as films, music and photo library storage, sometimes for torrent tasks.
The role of new NAS will be the same, plus I wish to setup OpenVPN server for accessing home network from outside.

My question:
Does TS-453B brings so much benefits over TS-453A which justify the double price for this type of usage? I think I don't need SD card, M2 SSDs, ... for this.

What if I use the device as virtualization station, could it support i.e. 4 virtual machines (wich are now on my laptop, not active all at the same, time, but take 300 GB of disk space), one is Oracle database server and requires 4 GB RAM, others holds heavy dity Eclipse devepment environments each need also 4 GB ram. Is either of TS-453A, TS-453B sutible for such tasks.
Or if I can have only the VM image on NAS storage, but virtual machine (CPU, RAM, ...) is on my laptop. Are there enough bandwidth and storage speed that such solution is fast enough.

Regards,
Sašo
storageman
Ask me anything

Re: TS-453A vs TS-453B

Post by storageman »

If you don't need 10GbE option 453A sounds fine, run the compare option to check all differences
sasoc
Starting out

Post by sasoc »

Thank you storageman ... yeah I will go with 453A.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

the 453B also seems to have the computing edge (and if you need encryption is 3x as fast for AES)
http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-J3455-vs- ... eron-N3150

But both are no virtualization powerhouses

Return to “Presales”