Best way to connect NAS to Computer for USB transfer

Interested in our products? Post your questions here. Let us answer before you buy.
mambino
Starting out

Best way to connect NAS to Computer for USB transfer

Post by mambino »

So if I have a QNAP nas tvs 473 and I also want it connected to my computer so I can move files over quickly via USB instead of everything on internet what is the best way?

Is it to connect a USB 3.0 B on the front to my computer with one of these? https://www.amazon.ca/AmazonBasics-USB- ... .0+micro+b

Or do I find a usb 3.1 to usb 3.0 or usb c to the back of my computer (my computer motherboard has a usb c port)
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Best way to connect NAS to Computer for USB transfer

Post by dolbyman »

I think you are mixing up internet and network ...

and usb quick access is just a virtual network adapter
mambino
Starting out

Post by mambino »

so connecting the USB B from Qnap nas directly to my computer does not improve performance of transferring files?
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

mambino wrote:so connecting the USB B from Qnap nas directly to my computer does not improve performance of transferring files?
That's not the point here. USB is always a communication between a USB Device and an USB Host. Both your computer and the NAS are USB hosts - and these can't be connected back to back by USB for making one storage available to the other as the USB mass storage device class (also known as USB MSC or UMS) unit.

QNAP offers USB Quick Access on some models, permitting to connect typically small mobile devices like small notebooks (without physical Ethernet, or Fast Ethernet only) to the NAS. This is implemented by a network connection over USB, not USB MSC - as it would not make much sense to offer a block data access to the NAS physical storage blocks.

How is your computer communicating with the TVS-473 today? WLAN performance shortcomings can be overcome by using wired Ethernet. Something to consider to overcome the Gigabit Ethernet limitations would be 10 GbE infrastructure.
mambino
Starting out

Post by mambino »

I've connected the tvs 473 to my router and my computer is also connected via ethernet to my router. Is this the best performance I will get? Sorry I must have misunderstood that creating a direct usb connection between the two would have sped it up
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

if everything is connecting via 1GbE ..ethernet will e your fastest transfer option
Trexx
Ask me anything

Post by Trexx »

mambino wrote:I've connected the tvs 473 to my router and my computer is also connected via ethernet to my router. Is this the best performance I will get? Sorry I must have misunderstood that creating a direct usb connection between the two would have sped it up
Short of upgrading both devices to support 10GbE, your existing connections via 1GbE will be the best NW performance option you have. That being said, depending on what your use case is there are sometime more efficient ways to do things (move data/etc.) when you factor in protocol (SMB/AFP/etc.) overhead and such.
Paul

Model: TS-877-1600 FW: 4.5.3.x
QTS (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 1TB WD Blue m.2's
Data (HDD): [RAID-5] 6 x 3TB HGST DeskStar
VMs (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x1TB SK Hynix Gold
Ext. (HDD): TR-004 [Raid-5] 4 x 4TB HGST Ultastor
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 64GB DDR4-2666
UPS: CP AVR1350

Model:TVS-673 32GB & TS-228a Offline[/color]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Plex NAS Compatibility Guide | QNAP Plex FAQ | Moogle's QNAP Faq
mambino
Starting out

Post by mambino »

Thank you guys, so my use cases are very simple... ie move movies and music from my computer to my NAS.

So from what I gather here not minding the advanced stuff you guys talk about, connecting it all on one router over 1gbe connection is my best bet
Trexx
Ask me anything

Post by Trexx »

mambino wrote:Thank you guys, so my use cases are very simple... ie move movies and music from my computer to my NAS.

So from what I gather here not minding the advanced stuff you guys talk about, connecting it all on one router over 1gbe connection is my best bet
Yup. That would be your best option. You would be better off using programs like robocopy/filezilla/etc. vs. just drag and drop with Windows in most cases. Movies (single large files) will move more efficiently than music (a lot of small files) in general.
Paul

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mambino
Starting out

Post by mambino »

Trexx wrote:
mambino wrote:Thank you guys, so my use cases are very simple... ie move movies and music from my computer to my NAS.

Yup. That would be your best option. You would be better off using programs like robocopy/filezilla/etc. vs. just drag and drop with Windows in most cases. Movies (single large files) will move more efficiently than music (a lot of small files) in general.
Thank you Trexx for your reply

So with something like filezilla I would just set up FTP access on my NAS and then use an ftp client to send files right? I see filezilla is a server and client, do I need to install the server side onto qnap nas? or is there already functionality where I just need to download the client on my PC and connect to NAS
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

why ftp ?

SMB (built into most modern OS) is working just fine
Trexx
Ask me anything

Post by Trexx »

dolbyman wrote:why ftp ?

SMB (built into most modern OS) is working just fine
Agreed... just copy/paste in WIndows explorer isn't the most efficient. Gave some options for things like robocopy/etc. that are better at bulk file moving.
Paul

mhuisman
Getting the hang of things

Post by mhuisman »

original poster says he has a TVS-473, which has a 5Gbit USB3 quick connect connector on the front side. Why are folks indicating that a 1Gbit (shared with everything else on his network and subject to his router's wims) be faster than the 1Gb NIC on the back? The guy says he has USB-C on his PC (but doesn't say what kind). The TVS-473 ships with two 10Gbit USB 3.1 connectors on the backside of the NAS.

So yes, there *is* the question of USB Host access or not, but on these machines (I have a TVS-873), I'm not convinced that only the 1Gbit NIC connector on the back is the fastest solution...

The TVS-473 would have 4x 1Gbit NICs on the back as well...
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

the quick connect emulates a 1gbit lan connection

but the speed is still slower than a regular 1GbE nic

the host only usb 3.1 ports are not that useful for computer to computer connections

Return to “Presales”