2 bay or 4 bay? populate with only 1 drive to start with?

Interested in our products? Post your questions here. Let us answer before you buy.
wee_peem
New here

2 bay or 4 bay? populate with only 1 drive to start with?

Post by wee_peem »

Hello,

So, I have got to stage in my life where its time to get into habit of backups.

Have taken lots of photos in the past 5-7yrs....plus got a hefty music collection.

Thinking of a 253a or 453a as a base point with only 1 drive.....until funds allow more.
I want to use lightroom to organise the files, as currently they are on multiple external drives. Many are not in seperate folders.

So my idea was this...

Purchase the NAS with 1 drive....maybe 4TB
Start with 3 root folders....Photos, Music, Other (or even Video)
Create a few sub folders that I know I will need.
Start moving the folders and get lightroom to organise it.
get all the music into the 1 folder.
not entirely sure if I need/want the Video folder, as the videos will be tied in with the subject matter of the photos.

Once funds allow....2nd drive.

Can I get the QNAP to do a backup, say daily or weekly automatically, as I wont be adding photos on a daily basis.???

So then maybe funds will allow 2 more drives and I can do a proper RAID5 setup....

Can this be done at any time?? It may be many months between populating the NAS fully....eg the first HDD might be 50% full by then.

Hope you can answer some of my Noob questions.
Regards
George
dolbyman
Guru

Re: 2 bay or 4 bay? populate with only 1 drive to start with?

Post by dolbyman »

while you can expand from single drive over RADI1 to RAID5, make sure that you budget in backups of your NAS.

Because you said you want to MOVE the files to the NAS, that will make the NAS the primary storage for the files and NOT backup.
If that single drive goes, all your data goes with it

Return to “Presales”