Can TS-251+ answer all my sharing & syncing needs?

Interested in our products? Post your questions here. Let us answer before you buy.
jeromeip
New here

Can TS-251+ answer all my sharing & syncing needs?

Post by jeromeip »

I'm considering buying the QNAP TS-251+ for a personal usage (home of 4 ppl) but I want to make sure it will address all my identified needs in terms of file sharing and syncing.

Context of use:

The NAS will be installed in my attic (reasons being: 1/ I don't want any additional noise in my bedroom where stands my Internet box/router - 2/ In case of a burglary, there is less chance my data will be stolen :? ). Therefore, almost all accesses will occur through the network (I will not use the direct HDMI connection, for example).

In the LAN, we'll have:
  • The family desktop PC on which each user has a dedicated account (currently running Windows 7)
  • Additional individual laptops with other accounts - not managed by a domain controller (Windows only for now)
  • Other devices such as multimedia players (e.g. advance wtx microstream, my Internet box/player...)
In the LAN or in the WAN, we'll have:
  • Personal smartphones (Android and iOS)
  • Professional laptops - managed by enterprise domain controllers (Windows only)
Let's suppose we have these devices/accounts running:
  1. iPhone/Dad
  2. BusinessLaptop/Dad
  3. Family/Dad
  4. Samsung/Daughter
  5. UniversityLaptop/Daughter
  6. Family/Daughter
  7. Media/box
  8. External/Friend

Sharing and syncing needs:

Can all of these use cases below be managed by the QNAP software?
  1. I want to share the music of the family, so I want to create a dedicated music space on the NAS and I want that all users (i.e. 1~8, see above) can access it for playing (even when away from home) but only registered users (i.e. 1~6) can write on this space
  2. Is it exactly the same for videos?
  3. I want to sync the content of PrivateDirectory between 2&3&NAS and I want it encrypted on the NAS
  4. I also want to be able to sync remotely when 2 is out of home, possibly behind an enterprise firewall
  5. I want to sync the content of OtherDirectory between 2&NAS (meaning that I can separately manage different directories on a single computer with custom syncing rules)
  6. I want to sync the content of DaughterDirectory between 5&6&NAS and I want it accessible/readable on the NAS by the NAS admin
  7. I want to allow 8 to drop some files on my NAS but limit the allowed space for it
Additional questions:
  1. How do I monitor the memory usage (e.g. so I can be aware I should add some RAM)?
  2. How easy/feasible is it to start with a single HD in the NAS, then add another one later on (same size) and start using RAID1?
Hope it was not too long!
Thank you!
jeromeip
New here

Re: Can TS-251+ answer all my sharing & syncing needs?

Post by jeromeip »

Not the slightest clue? :-0
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

a.b. DLNA for local streaming, if you want a folder for others to upload you can do that smb for local users and smb (vpn) or webdav for remote (and have DLNA index that folder for everyone to access)
c. Use a backup program of your choice
d. VPN or Webdav
e. Use a backup program of your choice
f. Use a backup program of your choice
g. Use SMB with VPN or Webdav and put quotas on it

I. Via QTS webfrontend, none of your uses seem very taxing on RAM
II. Pretty easy, just make sure that you have an external backup(even with RAID1), if your data is of importance to you
jeromeip
New here

Post by jeromeip »

Thank you dolbyman!
I'm going to plunge into this and see if I can manage all that easily!

Return to “Presales”