TS-453B Mini cooling?

Interested in our products? Post your questions here. Let us answer before you buy.
Decipher
Starting out

TS-453B Mini cooling?

Post by Decipher »

I'm consindering the mini, but it's unclear how the drives are cooled. As far as I can tell, there is no fan like there is on the regular 4-bay models at the back.

Are they simply supposed to be cooled by convection out of the top of the unit? That would seem inadequate.

No reviews or videos that I've found even mention this potential issue.
schumaku
Guru

Re: TS-453B Mini cooling?

Post by schumaku »

Decipher wrote:No reviews or videos that I've found even mention this potential issue.
Not an issue of course - as there is a fan. Look ie. there -> https://www.eteknix.com/qnap-ts-453-min ... -review/2/
Decipher
Starting out

Post by Decipher »

Thanks, that's helpful. However, it's not evident how intake-exhaust is handled, as the box looks pretty solid, and a sideways fan directly opposite a solid surface wont be that effective.

From what I can tell there is a tiny intake grate on the bottom at the front - and an exhaust grate at the top back but under the magnetic lid. It all sounds very restricted air-flow'y.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Decipher wrote:Thanks, that's helpful. However, it's not evident how intake-exhaust is handled, as the box looks pretty solid, and a sideways fan directly opposite a solid surface wont be that effective.
The air intake is around the top, the magnetic lid is not closed. It's not a sideways fan - it's a radial fan with the inlet oriented to the HDD trays...
Decipher wrote:From what I can tell there is a tiny intake grate on the bottom at the front - and an exhaust grate at the top back but under the magnetic lid. It all sounds very restricted air-flow'y.
...and the outlet stream does flow out to the lower side, where a SoC (CPU, GPU) cooler is having his ribs into the airstream, too.

Beautiful industrial design for a home user device it is. Of course, installing heat (== power) intensive high RPM storage blocks is not an option. This enclosure design is in the market since summer 2015 (starting with the TS-453mini), the mini NAS is very quiet for a four bay.
Decipher
Starting out

Post by Decipher »

Thanks for the clarification, I'll give it a second look :)

Return to “Presales”