Which TVS-882ST3 to get? (Or, the quest for speed)

Interested in our products? Post your questions here. Let us answer before you buy.
Shackal
New here

Which TVS-882ST3 to get? (Or, the quest for speed)

Post by Shackal »

Newbie here,

What I want/need is a really fast 10GbE NAS/DAS that is quiet, saturates the RJ-45 connection for reads and that is "large enough". This comes mostly for video editing / effects use where some of the files may be large and interactivity with video editors and composition apps for one person is desired. On paper it appears that TVS-882ST3 with SDDs would fit the bill. Hopefully when iMac Pro comes out late this year, a unit like this would sit in a closet far away, connect to LAN and have a direct 10GbE connection to workstation.

What puzzles me is the varying config options for the unit - there are different amounts of RAM and different processors. Does anyone know what effect, if any, do those have on transfer speeds? I could potentially run this with RAID 0 (separate unit for back-up), but it would be nice to know what impact, if any, RAID 5 would have - and if these performance characteristics depend on installed options.

Anybody knows details about these?
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Which TVS-882ST3 to get? (Or, the quest for speed)

Post by dolbyman »

the ram is mostly for containers and vm's
Bob Zelin
Experience counts

Post by Bob Zelin »

trust mne -
get the TVS-1282T, buy 8 drives, forget the SSD's, and make sure to get thunderbolt to 10G adaptors for your computers (or 10G cards for your PC's) -
you will get crazy fast speeds for everyone that is either direct connected to the 10G ports, or if you add a small 10G switch, everyone on that switch with a 10G conneciton
will be getting about 800 MB/sec - much more than needed to do 8K video editing. With the new iMac Pro, you will get a free built in 10Gbase-T port. You can run a Cat6A cable from the iMac Pro (or any current Mac with a thunderbolt to 10G adaptor) up to 100 meters (About 300 feet).

The 16G model will be all that you need.

Bob Zelin
Bob Zelin / Rescue 1, Inc.
http://www.bobzelin.com
Shackal
New here

Post by Shackal »

Thanks all! :)

And Bob, I'll trust you. Would be nice to know why you don't recommend SSDs, though? Obvious cost and capacity issues aside.

Return to “Presales”