TS-231p / p2 various questions about capabilities

Interested in our products? Post your questions here. Let us answer before you buy.
magixen
New here

TS-231p / p2 various questions about capabilities

Post by magixen »

hello everyone, im quite new to the NAS market and i have quite a few questions, what exactly i can do, besides installing apps from the appcenter.
i havent got my nas yet and would choose which one i will get in the end based on your answers. ive tried to gather as much information as i could before posting here but there were still things which confused me.

lets start with the cpu, the Annapurna Labs AL-212 or AL-314 are ARM Cortex-A15 which use the ARMv7-A architecture. Is ARMv7-A covering all of base ARMv7 base instructionset, or are the some limitations? actually the easier way to ask, can i run any program compiled for ARMv7 run on these nas?

next is JRE, in the APPCENTER i found that there are packages for JRE until QTS4.2, but not onwards. since oracle is also compiling for arm can i install these?

what are the differences between embedded linux compared to a full linux(arch/centos/debian)? is it like rasbarian? is something like systemd included? packagemanger? basicly since i can connect to the nas via ssh, does it behave like a real linux?

can the nas convert a NTFS filesystem into EXT4 without reformatting the whole drive?

by the way i want to populate th nas with seagates ironwolf, on the compatibility list they are listed, so far so good. but what is open is what transferrate can the nas reach with only one gbit cable connected?, my switch has no more ports left

basicly my goal is to use the nas more as a server than a nas. if im restricted in different ways so that i cant use to my needs i would go for the 231p which saves me quite a few bucks, but if im free to do what i want i would go with the p2 which would be more futureproof.

english isnt my first language, i apologize if something isnt clear.
sincerely magixen
Last edited by magixen on Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: TS-231p / p2 various questions about capabilities

Post by dolbyman »

regarding jre on arm (via forum search)

viewtopic.php?t=112473#p492639

=========================================================

what are you planning to do with your NAS ? ... I have a feeling a X86/x64 would have been better for you in terms of tinker/container/VM support
magixen
New here

Post by magixen »

kay so there are some jre packages out there, that is nice. what about the other points?

i edited the opening a bit and included that i would like to use it more like a server which includeds the nas' functionality.
i want to run some services which are not your usual stuff.
a 32/64bit would be nice but way to expensive for my budget and the cost/performance ratio is also not as good
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

the linux is compiled with whatever QNAP sees usable, there is no list, so will need to find out for yourself ... there is some packages that bring some commands/tools back like this

https://github.com/Entware-for-kernel-3 ... n-QNAP-NAS

I don't think I have ever seen a system converting NTFS to EXT4 without data loss (how would it ?) so that is a NO (QNAP also formats unknown drives, so don't even insert them to test or all data is gone)

using the NAS more as a "server" than a NAS is still not really explaining what exactly you are trying to do, so it's hard to give you recommendations
magixen
New here

Post by magixen »

thx dolbyman for the link, there is pretty much everything i need more ore less.
my usecase for the nas besides storing my ** of data would be running:
-git
-licenceing server
-collaboration tools (not mandatory, maybe not even possible)
-renderstation *cough* (not mandatory, maybe not even possible)
-vpn
-test server(nginx, phpfpm,mariadb)

Return to “Presales”