New to networking with Google Wifi

Interested in our products? Post your questions here. Let us answer before you buy.
henry2k
New here

New to networking with Google Wifi

Post by henry2k »

Hi,

I have been using Synology NAS because it requires almost no skill to set up until we upgraded our network with Google Wifi mesh system. Synology does not support Google Wifi in its automatic network setup program, and I know very little about networking.

The question is, does Qnap system support Google Wifi? If so, are there certain models that I should or should not get in terms of router capability? Does Qnap offer some kind of stupid-proof automatic setup wizard program for me?

Thank you very much for all your help.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: New to networking with Google Wifi

Post by dolbyman »

no idea about Google Wifi

But I support installations of Open-Mesh and Cisco-Meraki and there is no special voodoo needed, the only thing you need is a wireless device (and the QNAP is NOT wireless), so connect the NAS to your router / switch via cable

Also check in your cloud settings, that you either have a route to wired LAN devices (wireless has most of the time a different subnet in those cloud based wifi's), that way you can still isolate clients in the wifi, but they can access the QNAP
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

In my understanding, once set-up multiple Google WiFi devices initially without any network connections (except of the WAN interface on the primary device), it is possible to configure the other Ethernet port on the primary (router) device as well as both Ethernet ports on the satellites to networked devices (or to switches to extend the Mesh over a switched connection - limitations are documented -> https://support.google.com/wifi/answer/ ... ic=6243113). No need for any whatever code - use a network cable to the most appropriate Google WiFi device.

Odd Google does not really document the usage of other wired network devices - not very user friendly.

Regards,
-Kurt
henry2k
New here

Post by henry2k »

thank you very much for your help. I'll look into those options.

Return to “Presales”