Upgrade from TS-212-E

Interested in our products? Post your questions here. Let us answer before you buy.
dusherwo
Starting out

Upgrade from TS-212-E

Post by dusherwo »

I currently have a TS-212-E, bought in June 2014, running 4.3.3.0361, with 2 x 3TB discs under Raid 1 (and an external USB drive for backup). It does the basics (file serving, DLNA, and rsync) adequately, but has never been fast. Recently it seems to be getting slower and slower, taking a 1m30secs to display the logon screen and many of the applications are not responding. (I'm probably running too many apps.)
I am minded to upgrade - probably to a TS-451+ so I can move to Raid 5, explore virtualisation etc. It undoubtedly gets good reviews, and I like the QNAP apps approach in principle - but I can't help be somewhat put off by the issues I've been having. Can I have some reassurance that I'm not making a big mistake?
I am planning to move the discs as is, running (initially) Raid 1, to the 451 which appears to be supported.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Upgrade from TS-212-E

Post by dolbyman »

don't move em over...discussed many many times...

the disks would remain in legacy mode missing all the features of the new lvm disk structure (snapshots etc)

keep the old nas and disks as backup and buy new drives and transfer the data over
dusherwo
Starting out

Post by dusherwo »

Thanks for the response.
Since I have (most of) a backup on the USB drive, I'm minded to adjust my approach, wipe both discs and start again, probably buying one more 3TB disc as a temporary store for the other content.
But I haven't yet heard that moving from the 212-E to a TS-451+ is likely to cure the performance issues - feedback please.
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

dusherwo wrote:But I haven't yet heard that moving from the 212-E to a TS-451+ is likely to cure the performance issues - feedback please.
It will definitely be much faster. Though nobody can tell if it's fast enough (whatever that is?) unless you're much more specific about your usage and configuration.

If you start playing with virtualization, it may become even slower than the old unit...
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
dusherwo
Starting out

Post by dusherwo »

I had thought that virtualisation would stress the box so wasn't planning to run it all the time - and was also planning to expand the RAM.
What is also, sadly, relevant is that I read this posting on viruses ( viewtopic.php?f=50&t=136085 ) and can see similar issues on my box - some look as if they have been cleaned by the Malware remover. I guess this is impacting performance.
dusherwo
Starting out

Post by dusherwo »

I was able (I believe) to clear the virus and performance did improve - but in the meantime I had ordered a TS-451+. I followed advice, used backups and cleared the discs (+ a third one I ordered) and yes, it is much better.
I have tested out HD Station and it isn't lively but I have the base RAM. I plan to upgrade, probably to the (unsupported) 16gig, retest and try out the Virtualisation and Container Stations - though it's hard to find anything on the latter which would be useful/interesting which isn't available as a QPKG, either proper or from the Qnap Club.
I had an issue with the Proxy station not working and raised a ticket with QNAP. It is now working though I never heard what they did.

Return to “Presales”