Considering TVS-672XT

Interested in our products? Post your questions here. Let us answer before you buy.
jdmba
Starting out

Considering TVS-672XT

Post by jdmba »

Hi!

I am looking for a Nas that can plex serve and transcode 4k video and run in Raid 6 for maximum protection, so it seems I don't have a lot of choices. I have read the manual, but that didn't really help for the below questions:

1) I believe Raid 6 requires 4 drives. What happens to a 5th drive if I choose to populate more than 4 drives.

2) I would just as soon not attach it to a network and just use it to back up over thunderbolt 3 except when plex serving. Can I install QTS Just attached to thunderbolt or does setup require network settings/info/hookup?

3) Does it hurt the unit, the drive, or the raid integrity of I turn off the unit when not in use?

4} it seems the unit ships with both slots filled with 2gb. Is the only option to throw those away if I want more than 4gb?

5) Can I choose to add on m.2 cards after the NAS is set up and in use? I am not interested in write caching due to the increased risk of data loss or corruption, but read caching might be nice. Its just way too expensive to try to populate the drives, M.2, RAM all at the same time.

6) Can the unit ultimately just look a single drive under the windows interface so that I can copy the data to it simply by using windows explorer?

Thanks!
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Considering TVS-672XT

Post by dolbyman »

1).then you have a 5 disk raid6

2) you can setup the nas without internet connecrion

3) thermal stress on thenunit is higher than if the unit always runs...could be negative for disk life

4) you should retain the stock ram for service and troubleshooting purposes

5) if you set them up in raid1, read/write chache safety is greatly improved

6) just mount any share as a network drive and start using it

Return to “Presales”