Looking for cost effective NAS for ESXi homelab and 1080p streaming

Interested in our products? Post your questions here. Let us answer before you buy.
socalTurnip
Starting out

Looking for cost effective NAS for ESXi homelab and 1080p streaming

Post by socalTurnip »

Hello QNAP World!

I am on the hunt for a NAS 6-bay+ that I can use at home for personal data storage, some 1080p streaming (only to one device at a time) but primarily for iSCSI/NFS Vmware datastore.

I purchased a Synology DS1618+ and for the price that it cost, I didn't feel it was worth it. I wrote about it here I spent some time searching around and I considered the larger DS1819+ (8 bay) but the price that Synology charges for 2 additional bays vs the DS1618+ is ridiculous.

Anyways, I came across a few QNAP models and I've come across the QNAP TS-873. On Amazon here in Canada, the TS-873 is about the same price as the TS-673 so I figure for future scalability, it's best to go with the 8-bay unit.

I don't plan on running any business nor production VM's. I want to learn more about NSF and iSCSI and post maybe 5 VM's off the QNAP. My budget is around $1300 CAD, no higher than $1400.00.
I've seen the recommendations for the TVS-873 on this forum but the price that it sells for on Amazon is far outside of my budget.

I guess my only concern is the 2MB L2 cache on the AMD processor on the TS-x73 line. How limiting would that be for my tasks? Does the TS-873 seem like it would fit my requirements or is there another unit that might be more suitable?

I've looked at the 9 bay units from QNAP (5, 3.5" + 4, 2.5") but I do like having the PCIe slot.

Thanks
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Looking for cost effective NAS for ESXi homelab and 1080p streaming

Post by dolbyman »

with the weak Canadian Dollar..you might be hard pressed to find a good deal within your budget

how many iops are you trying to push with your 5 VMs?
socalTurnip
Starting out

Post by socalTurnip »

dolbyman wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 10:29 pm with the weak Canadian Dollar..you might be hard pressed to find a good deal within your budget

how many iops are you trying to push with your 5 VMs?
I know, the deals **. But as a positive spin, I have a $500.00 Amazon gift card that I plan to use to help me pay for this. Hence the unit would actually cost me about $800.00
Regarding IOPS, this is new to me. My main reason to buy a better NAS than I had before is to learn more about storage (iSCSI, NFS, VAAI, IOPS) without buying enterprise gear or messing with our infrastructure at work.

I know I wouldn't be running anything really demanding. No SQL DB's or anything of that sort. I do not plan to use any of the Virtualization features on a NAS. I have a HP server that I plan to use for server purposes and the NAS will only be for VMFS datastores. I'd like to put a few VM's onto it but nothing crazy.

A WSUS server, domain controller, a linux server, PFsense possibly. Sorry, I'm not sure what the IOPS requirements would be.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

hmm...well I guess it's worth a shot

add the fastest drives you can afford to the system (8x7200rpm+) and see how it works out ... I recently ran a rdp and db server (both are win server 2019) from a 951X via an esxi host ..and performance was decent (heavy db load was obvoisly slower than a ssd datastore on the esxi server itself)

Return to “Presales”