Seamless transitions from TB3 -> LAN -> WAN -> offline - is it possible?

Interested in our products? Post your questions here. Let us answer before you buy.
schmoe
New here

Seamless transitions from TB3 -> LAN -> WAN -> offline - is it possible?

Post by schmoe » Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:05 pm

Hi there, relative newbie to NAS here. I have an idea in my head of how I'd like my NAS to work, but I can't quite figure out if it's doable. I'm not afraid of complicated setup - things don't need to be plug-n-play - but ideally once things are setup, I don't want to constantly fiddle with settings as my situation changes. So, I basically have two questions:

1. Can I map a network drive once and have it "just work" as I move from internal LAN to Thunderbolt3 to WAN (via VPN)? Or will I need different network mappings for each of these different ways of connecting?

2. Can I create local caches of NAS data, for offline scenarios, of just a subset of NAS data, that is "seamless" and doesn't require me to manage it other than deciding what I do/don't want to be available offline?

Context:
Besides wanting to use a NAS to store all my family's data, I also want to use a NAS in conjunction with my photo editing. What I imagine is that for serious work, I'll be in my office using the TB3 connection. Other times, I'll want to edit photos but do it wirelessly somewhere around the house. Other times, I'll leave home and take my laptop with me, and I'll want to pick the directories of photos I know I'll want to edit while I'm away, with no connectivity. And still other times, more rarely, I'll be editing photos away from home and will have Internet access and like full access to my library at home.

Apps like Lightroom expect to find your photos in the same place each time, which is why I'd like the network drive mapping to stay the same (seamless) as I transition connectivity states. If I have to re-point Lightroom to different network mappings each time I change state that would be hugely annoying to me.

I hope my scenario and questions make sense. Thanks in advance for your advice.

-Joe

dolbyman
Guru

Re: Seamless transitions from TB3 -> LAN -> WAN -> offline - is it possible?

Post by dolbyman » Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:15 pm

cant say for thunderbolt(I dont use it)

but I have the same network maps for local and vpn access..works fine

schmoe
New here

Post by schmoe » Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:32 pm

Anyone have any experience with using the Thunderbolt3 connection and then moving to the LAN connection? Does the same drive mapping work for both, or do I basically have to create one mapping for each connection type (yuck)

schmoe
New here

Post by schmoe » Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:48 am

So much for "presales help". It's dead in here. Is this an indication of what customer service is like with QNAP? :(

P3R
Guru

Post by P3R » Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:38 am

schmoe wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:48 am
So much for "presales help". It's dead in here.
This is a user community forum and it seems that none of us Qnap customers spending our spare time here to try and help other users know the answer to your question. I've never used Thunderbolt nor have any equipment with it.

If you want Qnap to answer your question, then you should contact Qnap sales.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!

QNAPDanielFL
Know my way around

Post by QNAPDanielFL » Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:37 am

Usually, the thunderbolt port on the NAS would have a different IP than the ethernet port on the NAS. So it would usually be a different mapping if I understand the question correctly. But when you connect thunderbolt, Qfinder pro should ask you if you want to map the drive. It can remember your user name and password so it is very easy to map that drive through thunderbolt.

gggplaya
Been there, done that

Post by gggplaya » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:47 pm

Netgear has a 10gbps switch for $169 on amazon. It has two 10gbps ports and 8 gigabit ports. This is perfect for your scenario where you're the only one that needs the extra speed for photo editing.
https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Ethernet ... G09XS10D0T

For your laptop and a USB 3.0 QNAP NAS you can buy a USBC to 5gbps adapter for $80:
https://www.amazon.com/Type-C-5GbE-Adap ... 237&sr=1-1

Or a thunderbolt to 10gbps adapter for $150: https://www.amazon.com/OWC-Thunderbolt- ... ics&sr=1-3

Then, just set your NAS to a static IP address and never worry about it. No matter how you connect, ethernet, wifi, VPN, or port forwarded WAN, it'll always connect to your NAS.

I'm using the USB to 5gbps adapter on my QNAP 451+ for 5gbps speed and the same adapter on my 2 laptops. But if you buy a higher end NAS with a PCIe port, you can get the $90 10gbps card: https://www.amazon.com/QNAP-QXG-10G1T-S ... ics&sr=1-1

With the new Aquantia multigigabit chips on the market, 5gbps or 10gbps networking is now within reach for the home user or small business. Makes the need for direct thunderbolt obsolete until NVME drives get much bigger at a reasonable cost.

Return to “Presales”