QTS Hero... ZFS? What? When?

Interested in our products? Post your questions here. Let us answer before you buy.
mikeylam
Starting out

Re: QTS Hero... ZFS? What? When?

Post by mikeylam »

Latest news I have heard is the project is pretty much dead unfortunately...
baribal
Starting out

Post by baribal »

Indeed, seems non-hero NAS won't get it :(

https://www.reddit.com/r/qnap/comments/ ... e/gm4uyb2/

QNAPDaniel QNAP OFFICIAL SUPPORT
I asked again. I was told that we don't have a plan to release a QuTS Hero upgrade for a non-Hero NAS in the near future.

In the reddit thread there was a suggestion to try TrueNAS - never heard of it though.
KnapZ
New here

Post by KnapZ »

TrueNAS is the new name of FreeNAS, the ZFS based OS for homebuild NAS boxes.
TVS-871 (i3/4GB) + UX800P expansion unit
occamsrazor
Know my way around

Post by occamsrazor »

baribal wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:41 am Indeed, seems non-hero NAS won't get it :(

https://www.reddit.com/r/qnap/comments/ ... e/gm4uyb2/

QNAPDaniel QNAP OFFICIAL SUPPORT
I asked again. I was told that we don't have a plan to release a QuTS Hero upgrade for a non-Hero NAS in the near future.

In the reddit thread there was a suggestion to try TrueNAS - never heard of it though.
What?? After all this time they are going to ditch it for existing NASes? Can't imagine why they wouldn't release it when you have powerful machines like TVS-872XT that are arguably more powerful than some of their "hero" models. This is very disappointing for those that have followed this.....
TS-451 [4 x 10TB WD Reds in Raid-5]
TS-239 Pro II [2 x 3TB in Raid-0]
pfSense router and Ubiquiti Unifi switches
Mac Minis, MacBook Pro, iPhones
micimaci-ds
New here

Post by micimaci-ds »

I wanted to reinstall my 672XT, so i reinitialized and wiped it and at the install screen it offered me QTS and QuTS Hero, so i choose the HERO. It installed fine, booted and even i could log in, but a popup screen showed up that i have no license for HERO and it will switch itself to Maintance mode. If i want to use it i need a license.
I opened a ticket to support and here is the answer:
Dear Ivan,

So far we have not announced to sell the Hero license on QNAP Software Store. Also, I've confirmed with Internal, the non-Hero models may be supported in the future but there is not the implement timeline. For your information. Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards
Homer

So HERO works, but QNAP wants from you to buy a new NAS with it preinstaled....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
occamsrazor
Know my way around

Post by occamsrazor »

Yes... it feels like a totally artificial limitation unnecessary for technical needs. I was considering upgrading my Qnap NAS but the route they’ve taken has very much put me off buying another QNAP even a new model that is officially compatible.
It’s just a bad way to treat customers who may have invested a lot of money in a higher-end NAS and I wouldn’t want to end up on the wrong side of that treatment in the future. Especially as they’d already publicised that it would be available for existing NAS that fit the technical requirements.
TS-451 [4 x 10TB WD Reds in Raid-5]
TS-239 Pro II [2 x 3TB in Raid-0]
pfSense router and Ubiquiti Unifi switches
Mac Minis, MacBook Pro, iPhones
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

micimaci-ds wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:59 am ...
sounds like for now, the quts hero models are available. then after a while, licenses for OLDER non quts hero models may then have an option for it. when? no idea, still waiting :{
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
QNAPDanielFL
Easy as a breeze

Post by QNAPDanielFL »

Hi everyone,

It looks like we have just decided to release QuTS hero for the x72XT

series.https://www.reddit.com/r/qnap/comments/ ... ting_nass/

"Hi, A number of you have asked on a number of different threads about QuTS Hero being available on more models.

We've found out this morning that Hero will be coming to the TVS-x72XT series NAS. Likely to be around end of April with an update for the firmware.

Please also note that if you wish to use Hero on an existing NAS, you will need to reinitialise the NAS.

Thanks"

QNAP UK
Jazz59
Starting out

Post by Jazz59 »

Thanks Daniel. It's good news. I look forward to it for my TVS-472XT.

Best Regards,

Jazz59 8)
Qnap TVS-472XT 32GB | NIC QXG-10G2SF-CX4 | 3 HDD Seagate 6TB | 2 SSD NVMe Samsung 970 Evo 1TB | Drive QDA-A2MAR | 2 SSD Samsung 860 Evo 500GB
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

good thing i backed up recently. o wait... wrong model :( sob sob
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
SFX Group
Getting the hang of things

Post by SFX Group »

I am here to see about speed, so this raises a few questions...

- I notice the HURO version have a seriously large CPU and RAM, so is there a major draw on CPU and RAM for this?
- I notice HURO doesn't support all the Apps QTS does, at least QVR Pro is not supported, and appears Hybrid Station, although i have found that in the App store for Huro, still abit odd there's conflicting data.

So if it uses more RAM and CPU whats the benefit?
Many Thanks
Cbrad01
Know my way around

Post by Cbrad01 »

I purchased a new NAS that supported Hero and after about month I ended up reverting back to the non-zfs OS.
There were enough gotchas and missing application support that it became unwieldy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

SFX Group wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:54 pm So if it uses more RAM and CPU whats the benefit?
ZFS.

It's a more resilient and safe file system with additional features (and limitations) built in.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
SFX Group
Getting the hang of things

Post by SFX Group »

P3R wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:37 pm
SFX Group wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:54 pm So if it uses more RAM and CPU whats the benefit?
ZFS.

It's a more resilient and safe file system with additional features (and limitations) built in.
Is that it, just ZFS?

I asked QNAP, they said they will be running QuTS and QTS in parallel.
Many Thanks
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

It can run either or ..not parrallel

Return to “Presales”