QGD-1600P-8G questions

Interested in our products? Post your questions here. Let us answer before you buy.
jardako
Starting out

QGD-1600P-8G questions

Post by jardako »

Hi,

this gadget looks interesting. Considering to buy it.

Questions:

1) What is the throughput WAN <-> LAN (for optical / gigabit ports) when the firewall is on? I have bad experience with firewalls slowing down the traffic significantly.
2) Would you recommend it as the main firewall (entry point to Internet) and NAS with sensitive data at once?
3) How much power would it consume sitting still and when filtering traffic just as a firewall?

Thanks

Jarda
Last edited by jardako on Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jardako
Starting out

Re: QGD-1600P-8G questions

Post by jardako »

No answer ... no one from QNAP knows? The throughput is one of the most crucial parameters of such device and it is not mentioned anywhere ....
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

open a ticket with qnap then

qnap participates very irregularly here in the forum
jardako
Starting out

Post by jardako »

But the ticket works only if you already have their product? This forum is described as "Interested in our products? Post your questions here. Let us answer before you buy."
So I thought they would answer...
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

this was probably written when qnap opened this forum..back then they had dedicated qnap forum staff..not anymore

sales questions can be submitted via ticket or email for sure
jardako
Starting out

Post by jardako »

Oki, thanks, I'll try and if I get an answer, I'll post it here
jardako
Starting out

Post by jardako »

I'm not getting any answer from them. Strange ... I'm really considering buying this item and they do not try to answer my questions I need answers for before I buy it ... It's not so cheap for a "switch" / clever firewall to buy it blindly.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

haven't even heard of this product before..a switch with builtin nas

not sure what to tell you if qnap support is not coming back to you..not a good sign I guess
QNAPDanielFL
Easy as a breeze

Post by QNAPDanielFL »

I am asking the answers to the below questions. Since this product is so new I don't have as much experience with it as with most of our other products. But when I get the answers I can share them.

1) What is the throughput WAN <-> LAN (for optical / gigabit ports) when the firewall is on?
2) Would you recommend it as the main firewall (entry point to Internet) and NAS with sensitive data at once?
3) How much power would it consume sitting still and when filtering traffic just as a firewall?

There is a video on the QGD-1600P that I think is informative even if it does not answer all the questions asked here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=js91X1dFJQE
jardako
Starting out

Post by jardako »

Thank you, Daniel.
This is a very interesting video indeed.

Looking forward for the answers. I've nowhere found information about the throughput and also about the power consumed. They always refer to maximum power, but not the power consumed when the device just sits still.

Have a nice day
QNAPDanielFL
Easy as a breeze

Post by QNAPDanielFL »

Because this unit has POE and can power other divices, the amount of power it can use is a lot. But if the unit is not doing much, it should not use much power. The Intel® Celeron® J4115 does not use much power and when this unit is not powering anything else and not doing much else, I don't expect it would use a lot more power than a NAS. But if I get a more percise answer I can let you know.
jardako
Starting out

Post by jardako »

Before I buy it, can you please answer this:

Do you recommend this product as the firewall and router (for multiple VLANs) , i.e. the central brain of the network, connected to Internet via its wan port?
The other components would be smart switches supporting VLANs.

Thanks!
QNAP_BennettC
New here

Post by QNAP_BennettC »

Hello Jardako,

Sorry. Not really understand your questions.
Of curse. QGD-1600P is quite suitable for running Firewall and router on it.

However, Do you mean that you would like to assign specific ports for Firewall application and the others used for another VM application? If this question is what you mean, QGD-1600P allows users to do it.
For more information, please don't hesitate to contact me via mail. Bennettcheng@qnap.com

THANKS!
jardako
Starting out

Post by jardako »

Hi Bennett,

thank you for the answer. My question is related to all what I asked ... being a software firewall with possibly other virtual machines running on it ... is this thing capable to process enough packets to provide reasonable WAN <-> LAN throughput? The throughput is nowhere specified. Can you estimate the throughput when there is pfSense with just static firewall rules (no packet inspection) running on the switch?
QNAP_BennettC
New here

Post by QNAP_BennettC »

Hello Jardako,

We have tested the throughput with the default pfsense firewall setting. Please refer to:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Return to “Presales”