Adding SSD to TS-251B-4G

Interested in our products? Post your questions here. Let us answer before you buy.
RudiW
Starting out

Adding SSD to TS-251B-4G

Post by RudiW »

Dear all,

I'm considering buying a TS251B, and read it has SSD Cache Acceleration Support. I have a relatively small (250 GB) M2 SSD I'd like to use for that.

Now, I can see 2 options to use that SSD in this NAS:

* Get a QNAP QM2 Adapter for the PCI-Slot, and plug the SSD into that;
* Get a 2.5 inch M2 to SATA adapter.

In the first case, both bays would still be available to take a 3.5 inch SATA HDD, in the second case, one of the bays would be taken up by the SSD.

I was wondering about the pro- and cons for each option. The first one is much more expensive, but also faster as far as I understand. Then again, SSD Cache Acceleration Support is also offered on NAS models without the PCI-Slot, so the second option should work just fine, right?

Am I missing something? Anything else I should consider?

Many thanks!
P3R
Guru

Re: Adding SSD to TS-251B-4G

Post by P3R »

Only having a SSD is not a good reason to use it in the NAS, at least not when you have to pay more than the SSD price to be able use it.

The advantages of SSD caching is much overrated by many new users. There are several threads here in the forum questioning the Qnap SSD cache implementation.

Home usage is normally not a good fit for SSD caching.

The gigabit networking will definitely be your bottleneck, not the storage.

Use that money towards getting a good pair of known compatible NAS or Enterprise disks configured in RAID 1 instead.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!

Return to “Presales”