New Specs for x77A

Interested in our products? Post your questions here. Let us answer before you buy.
drdope
Getting the hang of things

Re: New Specs for x77A

Post by drdope »

Imagine what an updated TS-677 would look like...
- R7-3900; 65W
- up to 4x32GB DDR4-3200 nonECC or ECC-RAM
- 24 PCIe 4.0 Lanes (e.g. running two 8x-Slots for NVMe Cards, one 4x slot for NICs/Fribrechannel and using the last four PCIe-Lanes for chipset-connections/additional ports)
- 6x 2,5/3,5 combo-drive-slots for up to 48TB of Sata-SSD or 108TB of HDDs...

Sadly i would probably buy the smallest config available (R3-3100/2x4GB RAM) and add all the good stuff myself.
Maybe that's the problem?
TS-877 https://geizhals.de/?cat=WL-1446616
TS-h973AX https://geizhals.de/?cat=WL-1721479
TS-669l, 3GB (2x 3TB WD30EFRX; Raid1; online-, offdevice-, onsite-backup)
TS-453A, 4GB (2x 3TB WD30EFRX; Raid1; online-, offdevice-, offsite-backup)
https://geizhals.de/?cat=WL-1577757
6x 2TB USB3.0 HDDs in daily rotation (offline, offdevice, offsite-backups)
"roughly 80% of storage related costs are generated by backups"
MikeLagit
Easy as a breeze

Post by MikeLagit »

Gawd that would be sweet! But QNAP only puts the more powerful processors in the 8 to 12+ bay models.
Model: TVS-872XT 16GB
Model: TS-877-1700 16GB
BikeDude
Starting out

Post by BikeDude »

Bob Zelin wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:05 pm Gee - how come Apple doesn't sell off macOS ? Because that's not the way it works. They want to make money. They want to deliver a working product, and not have
enthusiasts ruin their name by saying "I spend $200 for the QuTS operating system, and it's terrible, I can't get it to run on my AMD PC that I built for it". That's why.
Technically your analogy is a bit stretched.... YES you are correct that Apple PREVIOUSLY chose (for MANY reasons) not to sell a retail software SKU of Mac OS X. These included a business decision that the cost of developing/qualifying/supporting a more diverse hardware ecosystem does not/would not be sufficiently offset by the increase in software licenses. Likewise even IF some incremental gain in overall PROFIT could be realized the ROI for that same capital invested in different pursuits was MUCH higher (obviously- as you can see).

Where you analogy falls apart is in 2 major area. First it is CLEARLY the case that QNAP has stepped back from what could have been argued from a position I represented to others as not producing the most polished solution available but one the the better VALUES out there with better hardware and a more diverse ecosystem. (the MSFT to my Apple if you want to keep with the analogy where Apple might be represented by Synology with slightly less modern hardware, more limited ecosystem but MUCH better integration)..... Unfortunately in the past 18 months I have seen the following..... Each release of QTS removes more solutions from the App Store as "no longer certified/supported". Hardware has stagnated in terms of CPUs as others have opined.

Second area where you analogy fails is that Apple isn't largely shipping obsolete hardware & Software. Explain again WHY we don't have ZFS on all platforms like Synology or many others (don't say it's a business decision).. ZFS based stability is table stakes in 2021, my fricken DVR from DirectTV has had ZFS for 10 years now! Don't get me started on the SAMBA version, the decision to REMOVE H.265 support AFTER I purchased (only to offer to 'restore' the functionality as a PAID upgrade via 3rd party software, which likely will be removed as incompatible when QNAP decided they don't want to test-see previous paragraph). The finicky & obsolete Docker/YAML integration that makes up Container station (after years of apologies). Don't get me started on their overall Mac OS X support across software stack....

PERHAPS QTS is being allow to effectively die on the vine (what we Engineers lovingly called Maintenance mode)... As the company pivot to and unifies on QThero. Unfortunately It's going to be a while before it's as fully functional as QTS 4.5.2 (assuming they don't massively gut and continue to obsolete QTS's functionality). PERHAPS it will be like the pivot from Traditional Mac OS to the Mac OS X? While it might be hopefully to think it might turn out that way, as someone who worked at Apple during that time (1996-2013) I have to tell you the first 5-6 years of that transition were ugly and LOTS of people jumped ship (customers and engineers). It took (and will TAKE QNAP) years of sustained effort and investment with little short term gains to show for it in order to turn that ship... BUT unfortunately I don't see a real choice IF they want to GROW rather then fade to obscurity... Bolting on a Cisco lite business won't do it and further draws them away from the core investments that need to be made...
Bob Zelin wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:05 pm The competition is not "stepping up". Taiwanese companies like QNAP, Synology and Netgear have destroyed all the other products, because of their low prices. But of course, for you, the price is not low enough.
The competition to the people here and on other related areas have been referring to is NOT Synology/Netgear/etc. The people here are clearly educated consumers/professionals who have shown a willingness to rollup there selves and dirty to produce what they perceive as an acceptable price/performance level. QNAP's competition there is UNraid (and related offerings), and anyone willing to act as a packaging integrator- turning out does that leverage open source software with containers and VMs to minimize the software stack qualification and risk. Honestly it's QNAP (and others) start when they built on Linux, we will just take things to there next logical conclusion and in doing so they will get squeeze from the bottom here and from the TOP by Enterprises who will pay more and expect more (customers who previously bough NetApp/EMC/etc). QNAP could easily find it's market shrinking unless it steps up and presents a more appealing Business case to it's intended customer base...

Apologies for the length of this post but the original post just struck me as a bit hollow given so many dashed QNAP hopes I once harbored. I really did believe they were the best solution other there 18 months ago....
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

BikeDude wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:34 pm Explain again WHY we don't have ZFS on all platforms...
Because ZFS is hungry for resources and most of the current Qnap lineup within reach for mere mortals couldn't run ZFS decently no matter how bad anybody want it.
...like Synology...
Synology have ZFS on all platforms? :shock: I thought they used Btrfs and wasn't even aware they had any ZFS-support.
As the company pivot to and unifies on QThero. Unfortunately It's going to be a while before it's as fully functional as QTS 4.5.2...
What's missing in terms of functionality in QuTS Hero compared to QTS?
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
Bob Zelin
Experience counts

Post by Bob Zelin »

I am entertained by BikeDude's response, and here is why. I see on countless forums (because I am on countless forums) all these "smart guys" that say "roll up your sleeves and build" - be it UNraid, your own PC, FreeNAS (now TrueNAS), running linux (Debian, Ubuntu, RedHat) instead of macOS or Win 10. You know who does this my friend ? NERDS LIKE US - and NO ONE ELSE. People don't want a science project. This is the #1 reason Apple is so popular - you don't have to learn anything. You plug it in, and it just works. There is almost no education factor. That is what the masses want. Running a QNAP, or Synology, or Netgear ReadyNAS, or Asustor is incredibly easier than running Windows server (or God Forbid building your own UNraid or FreeNAS system). Only "we" consider doing it. The vast market out there wants nothing to do with any of this. The vast market out there ( and I personally deal with professional video editing companies every day) can barely plug in their computers, can barely get an internet connection, never update their OS or firmware. They just want it to work. Your mindset is something that may appeal to P3R, Dolbyman, or myself, but the generic customer for QNAP (and the others I mentioned) want nothing to do with it. They want easy - they just want it to work. They don't know what the QNAP APP Center is, and they certainly don't know what QnapClub.eu is.
Everything is a business, and making your own homebrew system is not "cool" if you are doing this for a professional company. Even FreeNAS (TrueNAS) is owned by ixSystems - SO THEY CAN MAKE MONEY - not give you a cool free way to avoid buying a QNAP or Synology.

You worked for Apple, so you certainly know who Ubiquiti is, and their back story. Look at all the people complaining on their forums. Yet UniFi is a great system for the vast majority out there, that cannot be bothered with pfSense.

Bob Zelin
Bob Zelin / Rescue 1, Inc.
http://www.bobzelin.com

Return to “Presales”