TVS-h1288x / TVS-h1688x

Interested in our products? Post your questions here. Let us answer before you buy.
casw1000
Getting the hang of things

Re: TVS-h1288x / TVS-h1688x

Post by casw1000 »

SR22, exactly, I don't want to add insult to injury, but I was very glad it came with the bracket. I know there was some comments saying that maybe they didn't need to include them, but I disagreed. If I am honest, it does look as thought the person to built the NAS wrapped the bracket and screw into a static bag, then added it with the bag of screws that comes with the manual etc.
casw1000

Post by casw1000 »

Oh great, feeling really burnt, again. I have spent the last 24hrs backing up all my data to external USB's, which I am still a long way from being completed. When I read another users post about surv station not being supported on QuTS, I used QVR PRO on my TS-453, I have 8 4K IP cameras and it worked great, until the old nas died. So, now I have the perfect high end nas, I find that qvr pro is not supported on ZFS. But, I can pay out roughly another £10 (ish) per month for the 6 licenses that I need to purchase. Well thats just crap. Really annoyed about this to be honest, I wanted zfs for the many benefits, but we are being forced into the subscription model for something that was free before. :cry: :twisted:

I dont want to 'down grade' to qts operating system, otherwise what was the point in getting this server. Am I the only one that feels like this?
casw1000

Post by casw1000 »

Discussing this qvr pro with another member on the forums, they did get it working by installing manually, but they believe this would not have official support. So I am going to give it a try, I have fully backed up the old data and currently reinitialized the nas to install QuTS. Fingers crossed as I really want this to work.
casw1000

Post by casw1000 »

I wanted to update my last few posts, in case anyone else considers these high end nas. Manually installing the QVR Pro worked a treat, just dont specify QuTS as the OS. I currently still have 16GB ram which is coping fine for now. I am not using dedupe features yet, so its not a big issue. I installed QuMagie and thats working fine. Overall, this NAS is really impressive in terms of performance, if anything, I need to invest in some new higher performance drives and it will then be really sweet. I will install another 64GB ram, but I am not in a rush. Coming from a quad core celeron to this, has made a massive difference to my plex and other apps. BTW, I still had buffering on plex, until I installed a SSD cache, now buffering is not very noticeable now. Just thought I would share my first impressions. I really like this nas, just glad I got it at pre-price rise money.
QNAPDanielFL
Easy as a breeze

Post by QNAPDanielFL »

"BTW, I still had buffering on plex, until I installed a SSD cache, now buffering is not very noticeable now."

Do you have an SSD pool for your OS + apps where the plex app is and you still had buffering before adding cache?
Or is the plex app running on HDD storage that has cache applied to it?
casw1000

Post by casw1000 »

So I built the nas with a pair of samsung 870 2.5" ssd's in Raid-1 as my first pool to force OS and Apps. I knew the Plex DB gets quite large, so nothing short of ssd would be beneficial. The data, as in the library's are not on the quickest of hdd's, so this might also be a contributing factor. I thought at first it was the native quality of my 4K rips which was pulling 100Mbs+ but then when running some tests on basic dvd rips, I still had a similar experience. So, I installed a QM2-2P10G1TA card recovered from my old NAS, installed 2x 512GB nvme drives and used that as a cache. This improved things no end, and my family commented that something I did stopped the buffering. For those wondering, I didn't install into the 2x NVME slots as I want to keep that for a larger SSD config.

Just a note to say that when I rip my DVD/Blu-Rays/4K's I keep everything to maximum quality as I dont care so much on storage space, but more so on the original quality. I have to say, this is a really good nas, very impressed with it.
G10ra
Starting out

Post by G10ra »

Hi -
I wanted to know if it's worth buying a QNAP TS-h686 for 1000.00 USD ( No hard drive ) . A friend of mine is selling his qnap to upgrade and give me the first chance. I am asking for suggestions since I 've been out of touch and haven't done any research on it.
Any suggestion or heads-up is kindly appreciated.

Thanks
looking for a potential Qnap Nas....... hunt is on
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Seems like a good deal .. a brand new model for 1/3 off .. hope there is nothing wrong with it
deesto
New here

Post by deesto »

So I'm reading here a lot about buying RAM upgrades... but I have had no luck in getting QNAP to establish RAM compatible with the TVS-h1288X. They insist it has to be their trademark, as it is not ATX Ram they sell, as it is a custom mainboard and not an ATX board. However, the problem is that here in the UK said RAM costs north of 1200USD for a mere 64GB RAM upgrade. We also have to buy direct from the qnap shop, and their ram is priced at 459USD for 32GB - which is ludicrous. I've never heard of ATX RAM and this not be compatible with QNAP. So I'm really baffled now. Nobody has yet imported RAM at wholesale prices here in the UK, so... what must one do here??
deesto
New here

Post by deesto »

I was talking mostly about the comments earlier from @SR22pilot and @casw1000
deesto
New here

Post by deesto »

casw1000 wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:25 am edit: I have found this harder than expected to find unregistered ecc ram. Still, I did find this from kingston direct, so I might end up buying either 2x32GB or the 16GB versions. https://www.buykingston.co.uk/kingston- ... y-ram-dimm
deesto
New here

Post by deesto »

SR22pilot wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:19 am For memory, my unit came with 32GB which consists of 2 sticks of Kingston 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-3200AA-EE1-12. The real number you need though is the model number which is Kingston KSM32ED8/16ME. Buying two of that model will add 32GB. I added 64GB by adding two sticks of Kingston KSM32ED8/32ME. Note that the only change is the 16 to 32 on the end of the model number. I now have 96GB and it works fine. Just Google the model numbers for sources.
deesto
New here

Post by deesto »

This in other words:

https://shop.qnap.com/?route=product/pr ... anguage=en

(as seen in the RAM tab at the bottom of page https://www.qnap.com/en-uk/product/tvs-h1288x
deesto
New here

Post by deesto »

From Matt Webster at QNAP Support:

"The RAM from the factory and shop.qnap.com is used because the main boards are not ATX boards they are bespoke circuit boards, ATX Ram is not supported except for the modules we have built the boards around."

"The RAM that you have installed (KSM32ED8/32ME or KSM32ED8/16ME) is not compatible and not supported, if you have any issue with it you will be requested to replace it when troubleshooting any issue, it may look like it is working but at peak performance the RAM will fail or the NAS may crash, you may notice that streaming high bit stream files causes buffering and file disconnections, this can also damage the main board, cpu and shorten the life of your disks."

"As advised the only compatible ram is from the below link. The only supported and compatible ram modules are from the below link
https://shop.qnap.com/index.php?route=p ... ath=35_582"
deesto
New here

Post by deesto »

QNAPDanielFL wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:39 am
Any ideas on the above, Daniel?

Return to “Presales”