TVS-h1288x / TVS-h1688x

Interested in our products? Post your questions here. Let us answer before you buy.
SR22pilot
Starting out

Re: TVS-h1288x / TVS-h1688x

Post by SR22pilot »

I am finding the QNAP software feature rich but buggy compared to Synology. When I move files, it often fails to remove them from the original directory. This is despite having move and rename or move and overwrite selected. It is very frustrating. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I'll select 10 files to move and be left with 5 but a check will show they were copied. Also, if I move a few files, Qfinder will show 3 processes active but opening the active process window for Qfinder shows nothing active. A check shows things are done. This has made cleaning up files slow and tedious. My Synology units are slow but they are very low end two bay units. The entire point of getting the TVS-h1688X was speed. When I talk about copying it is mostly from a 4 disk RAID 10 SSD pool (on the unit) to a 12 HDD RAID 6 pool (on the unit). The Rsync copies from the Synology units didn't place things where I expected so I am cleaning things up.
okenny
Easy as a breeze

Post by okenny »

SR22pilot wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:46 pm I am finding the QNAP software feature rich but buggy compared to Synology.
I'll swap my working NAS (without such issues) for your SR22 - deal? :lol: :lol:
QNAP TVS-1282-i7-7700K-40G with Corsiar H5 SF watercooling, 3x 80mm PWM Noctua fans, 1x 60mm PWM Noctua fan, Corsair SF450 PSU
QNAP TVS-872XT i9-9900k 64GB, Noctua Cooler
TS-653B 16GB
SR22pilot
Starting out

Post by SR22pilot »

I just received a firmware update that addressed the file move issue I was having. Support fixed my 2.5 GbE problem. It was a configuration issue. The firewall is still very much beta. It still throws 127.0.0.1 errors. Finally, I have found support to be excellent and very responsive. If I access through Chrome, then several things work better. Safari support isn't as good.
casw1000
Getting the hang of things

Post by casw1000 »

Following the sudden terminal failure of my TS-453B 4 bay nas, I have taken the plunge to purchase the h1288X model as I found one in stock at based on the original price, rather than the uplifted price. I am due to receive it this Saturday, so I am hoping for some fun in getting my plex and qvpro up and running again.

I am looking to do a couple of things. I will be installing my 4x 8TB drives into the chassis with the view to back them all up to 16tb drive and the rest to my 8 bay expansion unit. Once I know my data is saved, I will format the drives to run Hero OS.

The base nas comes with 16GB ram, but I would like to add another 32 or ideally 64GB ram. I am happy to start with adding 32GB now and then upgrade later, if I feel I need it. For those here, can you point me towards some ecc ram for this model. I did search on the *mazon UK website for 2x 32GB ecc UDIMMs but found very little, so maybe I will start with 2x 16GB and see how that goes.

Another question, if I boot from the existing 4 disks using the QTS operating system, am I able to switch to QuTS by doing a factory reset on the device?
thanks for your feedback.
Colin.

edit: I have found this harder than expected to find unregistered ecc ram. Still, I did find this from kingston direct, so I might end up buying either 2x32GB or the 16GB versions. https://www.buykingston.co.uk/kingston- ... y-ram-dimm
QNAPDanielFL
Easy as a breeze

Post by QNAPDanielFL »

If you put in the drives from your TS-453B, it should offer you the option of installing Hero. It will wipe the data on the drives and install Hero.
but I don't think you should start like that. On Hero, the first pool to make should be an SSD pool of at least 256GB for the OS+ apps.
You can use 2 X 2.5" SSDs or 2 M.2 NVMe drives for the OS + apps. Only after you install Hero on the SSDs would I recommend adding the 4 HDDs. It might be worth buying 4 more HDDs to add 8 at once since Hero won't let you add drives to a RAID group.
casw1000

Post by casw1000 »

Thanks for the feedback. I have a couple of questions as I prepare to order some more storage. I have a large plex library and database, if I build the OS+Apps on a mirror 2x nvme ssd's, would I notice any real performance gains over a mirror 2.5" SSD mirror? I ask this as I find plex is slow when refreshing the database content. Maybe that was just my much lower performance ts-453 maybe?

If I won't notice much difference from an application perspective, then I will build the OS+Apps on a 2x 1TB 2.5" mirror and then I can plan to build a nvme/ssd storage system later.

Last question for now, once I build the core OS+Apps install. Can I install my previous 4x 8tb drives from the old nas, and this be readable? I am thinking of backing up the data to external drives, then I can format the 8tb drives into a new storage pool. Does this sound the right move?
Thanks,
QNAPDanielFL
Easy as a breeze

Post by QNAPDanielFL »

Plex works better if the app is on SSD storage so that the metadata will be on SSDs.
Whether it be 2.5" SSDs or M.2 NVMe, I expect it to work well. NVMe may be a bit better but I am not sure how much in this case.

If you put in drives from an old QTS NAS, those drives with the EXT4 file system won't be read on the ZFS file system in the new QuTS Hero NAS unless you reformat them. And that would wipe the data.

If you install 4 X 8TB drives now in RAID 5 or 6, you can't add more drives to that RAID group. So it might be good to install 8 X 8TB drives at once.
SR22pilot
Starting out

Post by SR22pilot »

m.2 NVME drives will be faster than SATA SSDs by a large factor. If you want the fastest access then I suggest 2 NVME drives in RAID1. What I did was an nVME cache (2 sticks of 2TB each) and then 4 2TB SATA SSD's in RAID 10 for my first pool. That still gives fast access for QuTS and for applications with fast random reads and writes. I have a TVS-h1688x.

For memory, my unit came with 32GB which consists of 2 sticks of Kingston 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-3200AA-EE1-12. The real number you need though is the model number which is Kingston KSM32ED8/16ME. Buying two of that model will add 32GB. I added 64GB by adding two sticks of Kingston KSM32ED8/32ME. Note that the only change is the 16 to 32 on the end of the model number. I now have 96GB and it works fine. Just Google the model numbers for sources.

I hope this helps.
SR22pilot
Starting out

Post by SR22pilot »

A comment was made about ZFS (QuTS) expansion which is important to consider. You can only expand a ZFS pool by adding another RAID of similar type. For example, you can expand a RAID10 pool by adding two drives. To expand a RAID 5 pool, you have to add another RAID5 array and make the pool RAID50. The RAID arrays don't have to be the same size - just same type. You can pair a 4 drive RAID 5 with a 5 drive RAID5. There are many advantages to ZFS but expandability isn't one of them. For that reason, I bought more drives than I had originally planned and maxed my unit out. However, with ECC memory paired with ZFS, it is a much more failure immune system than using EXT4.
casw1000

Post by casw1000 »

I was digging around for some warranty information on the new 1288x, I think I found it, but really is it 1 year standard warranty for an enterprise product? I ask as my little TS-453B lasted only 3 years and we [qnap tech] and I think the motherboard has a power problem. Which prompted this purchase. But, I was hoping that it would have come with 3 year warranty and I could take out an additional 2 years.

I know that £2500 is not expensive in regards to servers, but for me personally, its a lot of money, so I just hope it lasts for a good many years. :-D

Very excited to be getting the 1288x tomorrow though. :DD
SR22pilot
Starting out

Post by SR22pilot »

The warranty on my TVS-h1688x is 3 years. However, I am in the US. Then again, NAScompares, in their review, said 3 years. You can extend it to 5 years but I thought the cost was excessive.
casw1000

Post by casw1000 »

SR22pilot wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:49 am The warranty on my TVS-h1688x is 3 years. However, I am in the US. Then again, NAScompares, in their review, said 3 years. You can extend it to 5 years but I thought the cost was excessive.
Thanks, appreciate your feedback. Maybe it is 3 years, but I just could not easily find this information. Not on the product page (uk website) or via the FAQ's etc.

@DanielFL, Can you clarify if the 1288x purchased in the UK has 1 or 3 years warranty please.
matthewoliver

Post by matthewoliver »

casw1000 wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:29 am
SR22pilot wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:49 am The warranty on my TVS-h1688x is 3 years. However, I am in the US. Then again, NAScompares, in their review, said 3 years. You can extend it to 5 years but I thought the cost was excessive.
Thanks, appreciate your feedback. Maybe it is 3 years, but I just could not easily find this information. Not on the product page (uk website) or via the FAQ's etc.

@DanielFL, Can you clarify if the 1288x purchased in the UK has 1 or 3 years warranty please.
Here's the link to confirm it is indeed guaranteed for 3 years: https://www.qnap.com/service/product-wa ... -w1250-16g
Current:
TVS-h1288X
Intel Xeon W-1250 w/ 64GB Ram
2x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB
4x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB
8x Seagate IronWolf 10TB
QXP-T32P
Previous:
TS-469L
TS-219
casw1000

Post by casw1000 »

Thanks Matt, my nas has arrived and wow its a beast compared to the little 453. Build quality is very good and sturdy, clean internal cabling as well. The box says I can purchase the extended warranty giving 5 years, but this must be done within 60 days. So, I will find out the cost and consider it. I am super pleased that my nas came with the small dual 10GbE bracket. I remember commenting on this as someone did not get theirs in the box. But as I plan to install a GPU inside (at some point) I will move the 10GbE adapter into the other slots. I am also thinking of getting a thunder bolt adapter, but no rush for this. I have 2 Intel NUC's running my vmware lab and thinking that it could give me a vSAN if I can connect the TB ports between the NAS and the Nuc's.

I also found (after doing searches here) the ram so I will be purchasing 64GB next week. Once I stop playing (building) the nas, I will search the forums for a build area and see if I can share my setup.
SR22pilot
Starting out

Post by SR22pilot »

casw1000 wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:52 pm Thanks Matt, my nas has arrived and wow its a beast compared to the little 453. Build quality is very good and sturdy, clean internal cabling as well. The box says I can purchase the extended warranty giving 5 years, but this must be done within 60 days. So, I will find out the cost and consider it. I am super pleased that my nas came with the small dual 10GbE bracket. I remember commenting on this as someone did not get theirs in the box. But as I plan to install a GPU inside (at some point) I will move the 10GbE adapter into the other slots. I am also thinking of getting a thunder bolt adapter, but no rush for this. I have 2 Intel NUC's running my vmware lab and thinking that it could give me a vSAN if I can connect the TB ports between the NAS and the Nuc's.

I also found (after doing searches here) the ram so I will be purchasing 64GB next week. Once I stop playing (building) the nas, I will search the forums for a build area and see if I can share my setup.
Great to hear about the adapter for the 10GbE card. My TVS-h1688x didn't come with one and I want to move the adapter so I can use a video card I have waiting.

Return to “Presales”