Which NAS to replace TS-421?

Interested in our products? Post your questions here. Let us answer before you buy.
john byrne
Getting the hang of things

Which NAS to replace TS-421?

Post by john byrne »

Hi all,

I have TS-421 which is now effectively at end of life. I use it for storing music, photos and synching and backing up the family files from various computers. I'm looking for advice on what to replace it with.

Any suggestions?

John
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Which NAS to replace TS-421?

Post by dolbyman »

Just keep it... it will continue running for a while ..

2 rules to follow:
- NEVER expose any QNAP NAS to WAN
- Always have external backups
john byrne

Post by john byrne »

Thanks. I've now unchecked the box labelled "Expose NAS to WAN".

no, but seriously ...

How can I be sure I'm not exposing to WAN. Is there a list of things that need to be off?
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

john byrne wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:55 am How can I be sure I'm not exposing to WAN. Is there a list of things that need to be off?
You need only ensure the UPnP service is disabled in your router, and don't forward any ports (from your router) to the NAS.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
john byrne

Post by john byrne »

Ok, many thanks one CD. When I said it stores music files, it also runs UPnP server to be accessed by my HiFi on the LAN. That means the primary function is really to serve as a UPnP server for the music that is held on it. It sounds like I'm back to having to replace it. All ports on my router are closed

So, back to the question.

If I need to change, are there any recommendations?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

That uPnP (probably DLNA?) is not the uPnP we are talking about

Just disable uPnP on your router, it will be fine
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

i also suggest you regularly update your router as well
https://www.tomsguide.com/news/netgear- ... admin-hack

anyway i get you want to replace your nas with a new one due to eol, that is usually when most of us upgrade our nas.

but has your nas requirements changed? are you fine with 4bays? do you need more bays? did you feel your existing nas speed is sufficient or do you need a more powerful cpu and better specs? do you require quts hero or you fine with just qts? do you want to continue using 1gbit ethernet ports, or do you plan to go for 2.5gbe/5gbe/10gbe setups? what is your budget?

your nas recommendation is dependent on your requirements and budget. so i can't simply suggest without knowing that.

x51 series usually for very small budgets. or x53d if you want something with middling good performance. or x73A if you want something even better (i prefer this series but it may cost a bit more).
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin

Return to “Presales”