Handful of TS-h2490FU questions ; video post

Interested in our products? Post your questions here. Let us answer before you buy.
widdlekitty
New here

Handful of TS-h2490FU questions ; video post

Post by widdlekitty »

Hi there,

I'm looking to invest in the TS-h2490FU. My needs are for video post production; looking to be able playback 1-2 steams of 16bit UHD Tiff image sequences per computer, on 2 computers. Each stream requires a bandwidth of about 1.2 GB/s.

Since I'm only intending on using the product for high availability storage across a low number of devices, is there any need for 16 core option over the 8? Likewise, does the general idea that 1GB of memory per 1TB of storage still hold true?

Additionally, are multiple peer to peer connections practical (again, only connecting 2 computers) or should I just bite the bullet and get a proper switch? I'm still determining if I'll be running 25GBe or 40GBe.

Any other considerations I may be overlooking?

Appreciate any insight!
QNAPDanielFL
Easy as a breeze

Re: Handful of TS-h2490FU questions ; video post

Post by QNAPDanielFL »

I just want to make sure you mean GB and not Gb, since that are 8 bits in a byte.
Assuming GB, I think you want the NAS to have 4800 MB/s throughput.

If only 2 computers, it is ok to not buy a 25GbE switch and just directly connect the computers.

For these speeds, you should get the 16 core CPU. I don't think the 8 core will keep up with 4800MB/s.

Actually, the throughput numbers I have seen are that SMB read speed, when reading from the drives as in not what is cached in the RAM is around 4000MB/s but iSCSI around 9000MB/s.
So even the 16 core version assuming you use SMB may be slightly slower than what would be ideal. Since both computers may not both go full bore at exactly the same time with both streams, I think this can still work. But the 16 core is barely fast enough.
widdlekitty
New here

Re: Handful of TS-h2490FU questions ; video post

Post by widdlekitty »

Thank you for the insight, Daniel! I have not researched much on iSCSI but that may be an adequate solution; if not I'm sure I'll be able to make it work at 4000MB/s via SMB. In practice, I'll probably end up maxing out the bandwidth closer to 2400 MB/s read and 1200 MB/s write simultaneously across the two machines, with an average use of <1600MB/s.

Return to “Presales”