What do ARM units miss compared to Intel ones software-wise (beyond obvious)?

Interested in our products? Post your questions here. Let us answer before you buy.
lukaszj
New here

What do ARM units miss compared to Intel ones software-wise (beyond obvious)?

Post by lukaszj »

Hello,

I am going through ARM vs Intel comparison and some differences are obvious (for example TS-230 vs TS-251):
- full OS virtualization only on Intel (only LXC/Docker on ARM)
- desktop experience only on Intel (Linux station)

But other that, are there actually any other software differences, like some features of some Qnap-provided packages (or whole Qnap-provided packages) available on Intel only?
Or maybe some quantity-based limitations, like number of images supported by QuMagie?
QNAPDanielFL
Easy as a breeze

Re: What do ARM units miss compared to Intel ones software-wise (beyond obvious)?

Post by QNAPDanielFL »

ARM units can't do as many snapshots.
Some containers might not work on ARM.
Most apps should still work with a few exceptions.

TS-230 only has 2GB RAM so it won't run QVR pro.
jon96789
Know my way around

Re: What do ARM units miss compared to Intel ones software-wise (beyond obvious)?

Post by jon96789 »

If you are planning to do media streaming, the ARM units may bog down on videos with a higher bit-rate, depending on how the CPU compares to the Intel performance-wise.

As an example, i have a TS-453 Pro with an Intel J1900 Celeron processor and now using a TS-673A with a Ryzen V1500B processor which can be up to 300% faster under certain loads. The newer NAS is definitely snappier in performance when accessing videos over Wi-Fi DLNA. The directories scroll faster and it is more responsive when you fast-forward or rewind the video.

Return to “Presales”