Time to revisit my backups

Interested in our products? Post your questions here. Let us answer before you buy.
MrRoadster
New here

Time to revisit my backups

Post by MrRoadster »

I currently have a 2TB drive connected to my iMac, it is partitioned so that 1TB is a TimeMachine and 1TB is archive storage. My iMac is about to be replaced by a MacBook, so I would like something on the network to act as my TimeMachine and archive storage. My storage requirements have also increased, so I will be looking at 4TB (or maybe 6TB). This has led me to QNAP, however, I still have a few questions:
  • I am not looking to write the same data to 2 drives, this will be one element in a backup solution covering local, remote, and cloud. Is NAS overkill?
  • Am I best starting off with 1 big drive, or 2 smaller drives?
  • Can I run 2 smaller drives as separate volumes, or am I best using RAID to make 1 volume, then split in in the QNAP tools?
  • I keep a further set of data on AWS S3/Glacier, can I automate zipping and copying to S3 when a folder has been added (or look for new files each day etc)?
  • I have a regular CAT5e (I think) network, so just 100Mbit, going through a standard broadband router, is this going to be fast enough for TimeMachine backups?
  • Which model (or alternative to QNAP) would you suggest for this sort of scenario?
All media content is streamed, so not looking to run any servers/transcode etc, just do TimeMachine backups and store photo archives.

Return to “Presales”