Can QuTS Hero system run QTS?

Interested in our products? Post your questions here. Let us answer before you buy.
rafale
Easy as a breeze

Re: Can QuTS Hero system run QTS?

Post by rafale »

You are missing multiple simultaneous read and write to the NAS from multiple clients... That's where the 10GB/s shine. I dedicate one port to 16 cameras as I use the NAS as an NVR. Another port just for regular NAS and another one as the LAN of my dual WAN router which enables me to have a total of 1.6Gbps downstream rate for combined work and pleasure... It depends on how you use it but I far exceed the 1Gbps limitation regularly without really even needing to write to the NAS.
Server: TVS-872XT i9 9900 ES, 64GB DDR4 2666MHz, intel X550-T2, Asus RTX3070 Dual OC (On pico PSU), 2x Phison E12 1TB M.2, 4x Micron 5210 7.68TB, 4x WD Purple 4TB
Backup NAS: TS-473 20GB DDR4 2400MHz, Mellanox ConnectX3, 2x Samsung PM871b 256GB M.2, 4x WD Red 8TB
Former units: TVS-1282, TS-871, TS-469
Mugen
Starting out

Post by Mugen »

rafale wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 4:02 am You are missing multiple simultaneous read and write to the NAS from multiple clients... That's where the 10GB/s shine. I dedicate one port to 16 cameras as I use the NAS as an NVR. Another port just for regular NAS and another one as the LAN of my dual WAN router which enables me to have a total of 1.6Gbps downstream rate for combined work and pleasure... It depends on how you use it but I far exceed the 1Gbps limitation regularly without really even needing to write to the NAS.
1.6Gbps is still within the range of SATA3 SSD as they support up to theoretical 6 Gbps but realistically 540 MB/s. So you are right Gigabit is not enough but N-BaseT with Cat 5e (5 Gbps) will still handle the throughput is my understanding.

Even if you had multiple devices accessing if NAS is still a common source/destination, the common denominator will be NAS, and the bottleneck will be HDD vs. SSD read/write speed is my understanding. This is why I thought having NVMe cache help?
rafale
Easy as a breeze

Post by rafale »

Mugen wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 7:23 am Even if you had multiple devices accessing if NAS is still a common source/destination, the common denominator will be NAS, and the bottleneck will be HDD vs. SSD read/write speed is my understanding. This is why I thought having NVMe cache help?
It depends on what your application is. Not everything goes through the HDD but if for your application, it does then yes you are correct. If you strain it enough, the bottleneck will be the hard drive array. Because I use the NAS as a server for a number of VMs, the data sometimes just passes through. In my example, one VM is a router. It passes all 1.6Gbps through without going through the hard drive at all. You can also have a RAID array of SATA3 SSDs which technically can get you to 3x6gbps=18gbps read for a 4 drive RAID5 array (that's what I have). When I read from that array, 10gbps ethernet is my bottleneck.
I am not a fan of the NVME cache. It makes sense only if you keep reading the same data over and over again which I don't so it just adds latency and wear and tear to an SSD with no benefit. I tried it for some time and was horrified by how quickly it destroyed my SSD.
Server: TVS-872XT i9 9900 ES, 64GB DDR4 2666MHz, intel X550-T2, Asus RTX3070 Dual OC (On pico PSU), 2x Phison E12 1TB M.2, 4x Micron 5210 7.68TB, 4x WD Purple 4TB
Backup NAS: TS-473 20GB DDR4 2400MHz, Mellanox ConnectX3, 2x Samsung PM871b 256GB M.2, 4x WD Red 8TB
Former units: TVS-1282, TS-871, TS-469
Mugen
Starting out

Post by Mugen »

rafale wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 8:04 am You can also have a RAID array of SATA3 SSDs which technically can get you to 3x6gbps=18gbps read for a 4 drive RAID5 array (that's what I have). When I read from that array, 10gbps ethernet is my bottleneck.
I am not a fan of the NVME cache. It makes sense only if you keep reading the same data over and over again which I don't so it just adds latency and wear and tear to an SSD with no benefit. I tried it for some time and was horrified by how quickly it destroyed my SSD.
Aha. That makes sense. I didn't think about parallel access in RAID. Thanks for the detail. I have to now think, getting multiple SSD over couple NVME + Adapter for my New NAS. Glad you pointed this out. Thank you.

Return to “Presales”