TVS-882 Upgrade to Rackmount

Interested in our products? Post your questions here. Let us answer before you buy.
gregoinc
Know my way around

TVS-882 Upgrade to Rackmount

Post by gregoinc »

Greetings,

Has been a while since I've posted in this forum. Have been a happy user of my QNAP TVS-882 for some time now, but looking to upgrade to a rackmount style of NAS. Have been looking at a number of QNAP units, most of which appear to be Xeon based these days.

Why do I love my TVS-882... because I was able to upgrade the CPU and the CPU cooler, which has made a big difference in the performance of my VM's. I also like the TVS-882 because it has onboard solid state drives, ok they're not Nvme, but they have still been reliable and perform well. I also like the 10Gb SFP+ card I installed, which has been rock solid and the performance is excellent.

Have been looking at the QNAP options available and reading this forum... but I am totally confused. So I am wondering if the gurus on here could give me some advice...

- I'd like to find a rackmount NAS that has around 64Gb RAM capacity, doesn't matter if it is ECC or not.
- I'd like the option of buying a low spec CPU model which can be upgraded if possible.
- 10Gb SFP+ networking is required to match what I already have in my TVS-882.
- 8 drive bays or higher is preferred, plus the option of onboard SSD in Nvme if possible.
- I am ok looking at a used unit, so if there's an older model that is just too awesome to pass that is fine.

I think that is about it... very much appreciate advice, tips, experiences, etc.

Thanks, Mark
VukDjordjevic
Getting the hang of things

Re: TVS-882 Upgrade to Rackmount

Post by VukDjordjevic »

Hi Gregoinc. I don't know how you feel about the Ryzen models, but you have the TS-877XU, a rackmount unit with an included dual 10gbe SFP+ NIC. It also comes with a few CPU options from low tier like the Ryzen 1200 to the higher tier options like the Ryzen 2600.
I think that these models can have their CPU replaced but I am not sure if you will be able to find a used unit that easily.

The Intel counterpart that is older and is EOL would be the TVS-872XU-RP with an I3 processor and also supports 64Gb of memory. These units could probably be found easier online since they are older than the above-mentioned NAS unit.

Off-topic, what 10Gb SFP+ card you installed in the TVS-882? Are you able to saturate the 10gbe speeds with that NIC?
gregoinc
Know my way around

Post by gregoinc »

Hi VukDjordjevic,

Thanks for the advice and tips, the TVS-872XU-RP looks good. The card I used for the 10Gb networking was the Intel X520-DA2 adapter. It works really well, and I have never been able to saturate the link, no matter how hard I try :-)

Thanks, Mark
gregoinc
Know my way around

Post by gregoinc »

Just had a thought... I wonder if instead of upgrading the TVS-872XU-RP CPU to an i5 or i7, I upgrade it to a generational and socket compatible Xeon CPU? I have several ECC memory sticks, so if I install a Xeon CPU shouldn't that be able to use ECC DIMM units? Thoughts anyone?
gregoinc
Know my way around

Post by gregoinc »

Greetings. Has been a while since starting this thread, and I now have a TVS-872XU-RP. I want to try and add a cooler with a fan and upgrade the CPU, but I am not sure if the main board of the TVS-872XU-RP supports fans? Most importantly PWM fans?

Has anyone come across a main board diagram that outlines the functions of the sockets on the main board? Would appreciate any suggestions on CPU's, coolers, places to plug in fans, etc.
QNAP-TVS-873XU-Photos-08.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Presales”