Upgrading to TS-873A - SSD

Interested in our products? Post your questions here. Let us answer before you buy.
webminster
New here

Upgrading to TS-873A - SSD

Post by webminster »

I'm looking to upgrade from my old 869-Pro to the TS-873A. I'm trying to spec the hardware buy, but have a couple of questions. The primary use for the device is file services (backup storage, media storage for Plex, possibly host a Plex server and do transcodes on 1080p streams (only 1-2 streams concurrently probably).

Is a 873A overkill for such a use?

If I were to go with QuTS Hero - so I really need the SSDs for the file system metadata etc? Is there a significant penalty for running the system pool as HDD particularly in a home environment?

If I need the SSDs, how big? 256 or 512 GB?

Sorry if these are FAQs, didn't find these answers... If there's a reference, please let me know. Thanks.
'-Alan
QNAPDanielFL
Easy as a breeze

Re: Upgrading to TS-873A - SSD

Post by QNAPDanielFL »

There is a penalty for running the system pool on HDDs. Even for home use. But if the system pool is SSDs, you can also put your apps on the system pool so Plex and other apps run better. If you have SSDs for your apps to run on, I think it also makes sense to run the system on those SSDs as well.
webminster
New here

Post by webminster »

thanks for the response. Is there any articles or tech notes that could help me quantify the penalty if I didn't pop for the SSDs, whichever size I need? Is the penalty worse that just going QTS instead of Quts?
QNAPDanielFL
Easy as a breeze

Post by QNAPDanielFL »

I don't have an article that says exactly how much the penalty is. But if you don't have an SSD pool for your OS, then I expect this to perform worse than QTS.

Return to “Presales”