Looking at TVS-X72XT a few questions (new to NAS)

Interested in our products? Post your questions here. Let us answer before you buy.
natronp
New here

Looking at TVS-X72XT a few questions (new to NAS)

Post by natronp »

We are considering TVS-X72XT for video footage storage and editing as working with external USB drives is becoming too cumbersome. We currently have 3TB or so of footage and only plan on adding 2TB or so per year of additional footage. This unit seems like a solid choice with plenty of expandability for our future needs. A few questions (total noob when it comes to NAS solutions, so bear with me!):

1. We are planning on using this via a thunderbolt 3 cable directly to an imac and via 10Gb ethernet directly to a pc by means of a 10Gb PCI adapter. In this configuration, the X72XT's software will allow two users simultaneously reading/writing? In other words if one editor attempts to overwrite a file that a second editor is using, what happens with this type of setup? Does the QNAP software prevent file corruption or "collisions" (for lack of a better word on my part) even when it's not really being used as a network drive?

2. We are planning on using Backblaze B2 service for backup. Any issues with this gameplan and the X72XT?

3. We are planning on initially using Seagate Exos 16TB drives, either X16 or X18 and RAID 10 We discussed starting with only two drives and adding them as required but It looks like RAID 10 requires at least 4 drives... correct? Any issues with this choice of drive?

4. I'm fairly sure I read that the X72Xt supports RAID 10... that correct?

5. If we start with 4 drives in the X72XT and decide two years later to add drives, is this an easy process and will the QNAP software make this seamless even with RAID 10 configured previously to work with less drives?

6. Adding the M.2 SSD's for cache would be something we could add on later if required? Would this be advisable to do upfront for our usage scenario (video editing)? Any danger in the mentality that we can always add this later?

Thanks for any input!
QNAPDanielFL
Easy as a breeze

Re: Looking at TVS-X72XT a few questions (new to NAS)

Post by QNAPDanielFL »

A QNAP will let you have one PC or Mac connect to the NAS through 10GbE while another PC or Mac connects through thunderbolt.
However, if you are on the latest QTS5 or QuTS hero 5, the thunderbolt speed won't be very fast.
If you run 4.5 the thunderbolt should be fast.

The application will decide if both the first and second person to open a file have both read and write access. Some applications make the first user read/write and the second user read only.
For video editing this should not be a problem if each user reads the raw video from the same folder but each user writes to his her her own project file.

If you run QTS then you can start with 4 drives and add more drive to the RAID group later. RAID 10 is supported.
If you run QuTS Hero then RAID Expansion will not be supported.

You can add SSD cache later.
On QTS SSD cache is more likely to help than on QuTS Hero.
If you run Hero, then there should be an SSD system pool so you can use the M.2 for that instead of the cache.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

1. Direct connect works, but you should go with a switch and pure 10GbE. (TB to 10GBE adapter). File locks and protections are responsibility of whatever program you are using, the QNAP cannot decide for you here.
3. Use RAID5 or 6, if you want to add drives later, RAID10 is not an option
4. Yes, but see 3.
5. No, see 3.
6. No as discussed in tons of threads about video editing storage (forum search!) video editing needs sequential performance and cache will not help here, just raw disk speed and count (unless all flash of course)
natronp
New here

Post by natronp »

Very informative and gives me some terminology to Google/forum search. Thanks for informing me QNAPDanielFL and dolbyman!
Bob Zelin
Experience counts

Post by Bob Zelin »

REPLY - I do nothing but build QNAP systems for professional video editors. I will respond to your questions below.

We are considering TVS-X72XT for video footage storage and editing as working with external USB drives is becoming too cumbersome. We currently have 3TB or so of footage and only plan on adding 2TB or so per year of additional footage. This unit seems like a solid choice with plenty of expandability for our future needs. A few questions (total noob when it comes to NAS solutions, so bear with me!):

REPLY - before we even get started, based on your initial comments here - you are only planning on 3 TB, and adding 2 TB a year. You are not going to get excellent quality drives that are smaller than 4 TB drives - so you will need eight Seagate EXOS 4 TB drives in a single RAID group. After RAID 6 this will be 24 TB of usable storage. If you say "but we don't need 24 TB of storage "- - well this is 2022, and this is what you are stuck with. In order to get the speeds that you want for 4K video editing, you need EIGHT MATCHING 7200 RPM SATA drives in a single RAID configuration. I don't care how small they are, or how big they are. You are buying eight drives.

And before we go too much further, you are looking at a TVS-x72XT. I can no longer recommend this model, as it has a recent history of power failure, due to issues on the motherboard. You are much better off looking at the newer QNAP TVS-h1288X. It may cost $700 more, but you won't have a dead box in 2 years.

1. We are planning on using this via a thunderbolt 3 cable directly to an imac and via 10Gb ethernet directly to a pc by means of a 10Gb PCI adapter. In this configuration, the X72XT's software will allow two users simultaneously reading/writing? In other words if one editor attempts to overwrite a file that a second editor is using, what happens with this type of setup? Does the QNAP software prevent file corruption or "collisions" (for lack of a better word on my part) even when it's not really being used as a network drive?

REPLY - I would never recommend using a Thunderbolt connection to a QNAP. 10G Ethernet is extremely stable. You can either get a 10G switch if you wind up with the TVS-872XT, or if you purchase the TVS-h1288X as I recommend, it comes with two 10G ethernet ports - one for each of your computers. If you have a thunderbolt 3 iMac, you will need a QNAP QNA-T310G1T to convert the T3 signal to 10G. For your Win PC, you get a QNAP QXG-10G1T 10G Ethernet card. The over writing is not controlled by the QNAP. IF you have collaboration features, like with Davinci Resolve, this is controlled by the software. Apple FCP X will not allow you to open the same library on 2 computers at the same time. It all depends on your software. If you are using AVID Media Composer, you must purchase Indiestor Mimiq to allow AVID to see and use the bin locking function on a QNAP.

2. We are planning on using Backblaze B2 service for backup. Any issues with this gameplan and the X72XT?

REPLY - yes, this works fine. It's all built into the QNAP, under the Hybrid Backup Sync program.

3. We are planning on initially using Seagate Exos 16TB drives, either X16 or X18 and RAID 10 We discussed starting with only two drives and adding them as required but It looks like RAID 10 requires at least 4 drives... correct? Any issues with this choice of drive?

REPLY - these are the drives that I use for all of my installations. Seagate EXOS are excellent. You CANNOT START WITH TWO DRIVES. You will never get the speeds you need with 2 drives - not even for a single editor. You need ALL THE DRIVES - I don't care if you get a 6 bay or an 8 bay - you install ALL THE DRIVES NOW. If you can't afford all the drives, then you can't afford to do shared storage. I don't care if the QNAP cost $10 dollars - you need ALL THE DRIVES. For a QTS system (TVS-872XT, TVS-872X) - you can add drives later, but like I said - without all the drives, you will NEVER get the speeds you need for 4K editing with Premiere, Resolve, FCPX or Media Composer. With a QuTS system (TVS-h1288X) - you CANNOT ADD DRIVES LATER - you must install all the drives. You cannot expand a volume with QuTS in the future.

4. I'm fairly sure I read that the X72Xt supports RAID 10... that correct?

REPLY - stop it with RAID 10. This is mirroring, and with only 2 drives (which you should never do) - this will be RAID 1, not RAID 10. You need ALL THE DRIVES, and you set this up RAID 5 (one drive can fail) or RAID 6 (two drives can fail).

5. If we start with 4 drives in the X72XT and decide two years later to add drives, is this an easy process and will the QNAP software make this seamless even with RAID 10 configured previously to work with less drives?

REPLY - no - with 4 drives, you are not going to get the performance you want. And with QuTS, you can't add drives later. Buy all the drives NOW. It takes about 48 hours for a 16 TB drive to migrate into an existing RAID 6 group - so this is not a "seamless" process. It's a pain in the ** with QTS. And with QuTS, you can't do it.

6. Adding the M.2 SSD's for cache would be something we could add on later if required? Would this be advisable to do upfront for our usage scenario (video editing)? Any danger in the mentality that we can always add this later?

REPLY - you won't need it, not unless you are doing uncompressed image sequences. You will not see any improvement in performance by adding this in as a cache. For a QuTS system, you MUST have two drives (for the TVS-h1288X, you use two 500 Gig SSD drives) to run the QuTS operating system, and then install all eight drives for your video media in a single RAID 5 or RAID 6 group. For the TVS-872XT, you do not need separate drives - the QTS operating system gets loaded on the SATA drives.

If the bottom line here is "we just don't have the money to buy all the drives right now" - then SAVE YOUR MONEY, and don't buy anything right now, because you will regret it. And you will come back on this forum and say "I thought these QNAP systems were fast - I can't even playback any video sequences at all".

bobzelin@icloud.com
Bob Zelin / Rescue 1, Inc.
http://www.bobzelin.com
natronp
New here

Post by natronp »

Cool and thanks for the additional insight Bob. I'm beginning to get a picture of this. Appreciate your time responding!
A few more for you (if you have the time), the TVS-h1288X you recommend is a new model? How long has it been available? Long enough to truly say it doesn't suffer from similar issues as the TVS-X72XT?
Do you have any opinions on Synology? Worth investigating? Thanks again!
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

1288X is out for 16 months or so..I just got one myself..fingers crossed it does not cr*p out
Bob Zelin
Experience counts

Post by Bob Zelin »

Hi Natronp -
I have probably installed more TVS-872XT than anyone else on this forum. I used to always say the smart ** line - "QNAP's never break - they just write bad firmware sometimes" - well, I was wrong. A good portion of the TVS-872XT's that I have installed have failed, and had to be sent back to QNAP in Pomona, CA. I have not seen any dead QuTS products at this point - but it's only been out for about 2 years now, and I did not see failures on the TVS-872XT for about 2 years either. So will a TVS-h1288X die in 2 - 3 years ? How do I know - I can't answer that truthfully. So far - no failures, but who knows what will happen in 2023, 2024.

I can tell you the TVS-h1288X is an amazing box for video editing for a small operation. As for Synology - I am really sick of 2 things about them.
1) - they demand that you buy their Synology branded Toshiba drives at a huge markup, and the largest drive you can purchase is a 16 TB drive. You can buy a Seagate EXOS 18 TB for about half the price of a Synology HAT5300. I just looked at a Google search, and that Synology 16 TB is selling for $640 each at B&H Photo - when I can get a Seagate EXOS 18 TB for $307 right now on Amazon. That is just blackmail. And when you install "non supported drives" in the better models of Synology, you get error messages that there is an issue with your drives, which is very disturbing to clients that don't know any better. It works fine, but I don't need the warnings. And then Synology will wind up saying if there are real issues "well - you are not using supported SATA drives". I don't need that nonsense.

2) Synology has a 108 TB volume size limit with normal RAM. When you buy a Synology, it typically comes with no 10G card, and 4 Gig of RAM, so you are forced to buy more RAM. And if you just buy a 16 Gig Synology RAM chip - you are stuck with the 108 TB volume size limit. IF you increase the RAM size to 32 Gig, then you have a max volume size of 200 TB. But if you are in the video business, you will eat thru storage like crazy. Now with 32 Gig of RAM in a small box like a DS1821+, you will be fine with 32 Gig of RAM. But with the larger 16 Bay Synology models (I do a lot of enterprise video installs) - I don't want to get stuck with a separate volume of 52 TB when I max out a volume at 200 TB because of the BTRFS file limitation.

and QNAP is very proactive on making sure that video applications like Adobe Premiere and Davinci Resolve work properly, and have articles directed towards this. Synology does not. Synology makes perfectly good hardware, but they have strange policies, that do not cooperate with video users, as I have just described. In the same way you joined the QNAP forum, you should join the Synology forum, and search for video editing. You will see very few questions about pro video editing applications on the Synology forum. This is a not a focus of their business model.

Bob Zelin
BBNAS
First post

Post by BBNAS »

Great thread! I found this when looking up how to get 10Gbe setup. I've watched a few hours of videos and I'm still confused on whether or not you need an Thunderbolt 3 to 10GBE adapter, as well as a switch or would just the switch suffice/is that better? I care mostly about speeds of transferring footage from PC to NAS and back as well as being able to edit from my NAS. I'm not too concerned with internet speeds as I'm capped at 1Gigabit in my area.

I have already purchased the TS-h973AX and have basically started to follow this guys guidance -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipIs2_KJsQc as far as drives go.

Currently I have:
- 1 bay of Western Digital 12TB WD Red Plus NAS Internal Hard Drive HDD - 7200 RPM, SATA 6 GB/s, CMR, 512 MB Cache, 3.5" - WD120EFBX,
- both SSD's filled with Western Digital 500GB WD Red SA500 NAS 3D NAND Internal SSD - SATA III 6 Gb/s, 2.5"/7mm, Up to 560 MB/s - WDS500G1R0A
- 1 Western Digital Ultrastar DC SN640 NVMe (expensive and took a while to find)

After reading your comments Bob, I'm assuming I'll need to load up the other 4 bays as well on the HDD's for peak performance? I originally thought I'd load all footage on the NAS NVMe for editing and use HDD for storage/archive and SSD for apps/QNAP programs, do you think that's going to be a problem? I can purchase the other 4 drives but can you help me understand what that will add if I edit off of NVMe or why editing off the NVMe might not be a good idea?

I'm editing off of a Lenovo P71 and also have an internal NVMe with great read/write speeds that I can drop footage to for edits if that's better (although that defeats the purpose of me buying the NVMe for the NAS..I think? ).

Thanks to anyone for any suggestions/guidance... wishing I had known to search for this pre-purchase...hoping I didn't step in it :)
fabianfilm
New here

Post by fabianfilm »

BBNAS wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:12 am After reading your comments Bob, I'm assuming I'll need to load up the other 4 bays as well on the HDD's for peak performance? I originally thought I'd load all footage on the NAS NVMe for editing and use HDD for storage/archive and SSD for apps/QNAP programs, do you think that's going to be a problem? I can purchase the other 4 drives but can you help me understand what that will add if I edit off of NVMe or why editing off the NVMe might not be a good idea?

I'm editing off of a Lenovo P71 and also have an internal NVMe with great read/write speeds that I can drop footage to for edits if that's better (although that defeats the purpose of me buying the NVMe for the NAS..I think? ).

Thanks to anyone for any suggestions/guidance... wishing I had known to search for this pre-purchase...hoping I didn't step in it :)
I actually have the same question.

Currently we're using a TS-673 as an in-office NAS where we also keep all our video files. When editing we use the internal SSDs of our workstation to read the video files for fast read speeds.

The question now was to upgrade the TS-673 with (another) M.2, in order to use it for fast speed reads when editing. So, not using it as a NAS Cache, but rather as a single drive with the current projects video files loaded into it. So, does that work well? It will be on a 10 Gigabit network.

What I've understood now is (and many thanks for the information):

- QM2 cards are a waste of money
- M.2 Cache won't speed up read speeds for video editing
- NAS need lots of drives to have fast read speeds on RAID5/6

Further advice is much appreciated.
Bob Zelin
Experience counts

Post by Bob Zelin »

Here is my generic answer -
1) you need a lot of drives in a single array to be fast enough for multiple people to edit video from. I don't care what brand of NAS you purchase.
2) QM2 cards are not a waste of money if you have four NVMe drives in a single RAID group, and you are using this as your editing RAID, and not a cache.
3) the TS-673 is a slow box. Do you even have a 10G card in there? Multiple people cannot edit of of a "single drive" - you create a RAID - I don't care if it's M.2's, SSD's, or SATA drives.

and yea - no matter what the storage media type is - you need a lot of drives in a RAID 5/6 configuration to be fast enough for editing.
Bob Zelin
Hrridly
New here

Post by Hrridly »

Can anyone on here give me an answer I contacted Qnap and they told me that their TVS872X is not susceptible to the same faults as what plagued the TVS872XT. I was told by QNAP it only affected models produced between 2018 & 2019 TVS872X models that were manufactured late 2021 and 2022 do not have the fault of the previous model and has had a new motherboard that no longer has that fault, so I would say it is nas safe bet that this nas should last as long as any other nas on the market. Can anyone chime in as I was thinking of buying the TVS872X or the TS873A.

Looking some advice on what you think of what qnap has stated to me. Thank you to all who read this post.
rgarjr
Know my way around

Post by rgarjr »

Hrridly wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 5:36 am Can anyone on here give me an answer I contacted Qnap and they told me that their TVS872X is not susceptible to the same faults as what plagued the TVS872XT. I was told by QNAP it only affected models produced between 2018 & 2019 TVS872X models that were manufactured late 2021 and 2022 do not have the fault of the previous model and has had a new motherboard that no longer has that fault, so I would say it is nas safe bet that this nas should last as long as any other nas on the market. Can anyone chime in as I was thinking of buying the TVS872X or the TS873A.

Looking some advice on what you think of what qnap has stated to me. Thank you to all who read this post.
No way to know. Yes they have new board revisions but they don’t state what differences they made in it.
Hrridly
New here

Post by Hrridly »

Very true dont know if I shoulod stick with my TS873A I only need it for file storage.

Return to “Presales”