[URGENT] - Which products i must choose ?

Interested in our products? Post your questions here. Let us answer before you buy.
inter-rupteur
Getting the hang of things

[URGENT] - Which products i must choose ?

Post by inter-rupteur »

Hi everybody,

please, i need help to choose products (NAS) i can use in this way :

In middle products (1 or 2 models)
In high products (1 or 2 models)

The need :

- 180 to 200 users must access simultaneously to the NAS all the time (important !!!)
- 10 to 15 To space storage
- Using the faster RAID for (read/write) (10, 50, 60... ?) and the best for reconstruction in case of crash (10, 50, 60... ?)
- Strong processors which support all of these people and services
- 24 to 32 go ram
- Possibility to add 10 Gbits card

Another thing :

which protocol i must use for better speed in relation with specs above ? :

- SMB3
- NFS
- ISCSI

Thanks a lot for your help.

Inter-Rupteur
dolbyman
Guru

Re: [URGENT] - Which products i must choose ?

Post by dolbyman »

What are those 200 users doing on the NAS? are they just connected or actively working ?

ISCSI falls flat for multiple users (block storage) ...if for File Storage, SMB is the choice
inter-rupteur

Post by inter-rupteur »

Thanks dolbyman for your return !

So, a lot of files, i think 300 to 500 files (~ 1 Go) on the NAS, must be accessible (readable) by 180 to 200 users simultaneously...

Inter-Rupteur
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

I guess..1Go..is a Gigabye ? ....

The actual usage is still pretty vague..but it sounds like you need to talk to a different manufacturer....sounds very IO heavy
inter-rupteur

Post by inter-rupteur »

yes, you are right : each file size is 1 gigabyte x 300 to 500 (files) viewing by 180 to 200 users simultaneously....

So in summary, 180 à 200 files readable simultaneously !
inter-rupteur

Post by inter-rupteur »

So dolbyman or someone else :

can you tell me what products i can go for ? what concept should I take into account for choosing the good NAS ?
FSC830
Experience counts

Post by FSC830 »

Sorry to say, but there is no QNAP for this use (my 2 cents!).
It sounds like a keystone for a company, this you cant do with a NAS for SOHO (I dont trust even the larger QNAPs, advertised as enterprise storage - it is not!) !

You need to go for a NetApp if you want have a solid, reliable and performant storage! And yes, this is in a totally different range of $$$, but you will get, what you pay for. And a QNAP for 1.000 or 2.000$ is also in a complete different range of usage than a NetApp!

If my suspect is correct that this is a central storage for a company or any other business you should also invest some bucks into a local IT organization to check your needs and demands and not ask in a user-for-user forum!
There are a lot of questions to clarify, i.e. is access from internet (home workers/road warriors) needed -> then you need a secure connection. What is about a disaster recovery strategy? Backup solution? ...
Thats all you need professional advise. You may need to assign this to a company which is also responsible that all the desired needs and demands will be fullfilled.
It sounds like a major consultation is needed for that, and this would exceed this forum!

Regards
inter-rupteur

Post by inter-rupteur »

Hi FSC830,

thanks for your message.

I'm a Infrastructure and Security Engeneer / Systems and Networks Administratorn is not a problem about the use, i know all about. I know about what you mean that there are a lot of high products like Netapp, Dell, HP, etc... San products ! If you read my first post, i'm looking for middle and High products at Qnap. At this place, the products are as good as the Netapp or other products ! And the price is the not the same, is for that reason i'm going to choose Qnap products... i'm asking about which products for the i/o must i choose and what i must take in account (DD, card, memory, processor, etc...) for the best result...

Inter-Rupteur
QNAPDanielFL
Easy as a breeze

Post by QNAPDanielFL »

It shoulds like a fast NAS is needed.
QNAP has some of the most affordable U.2 NVMe servers on the market with support for up to 100GbE.
I think our U.2 servers should be fast enough.
TS-h1290FX-7302P-128G has 12 U.2 bays and 2 X 25GbE. If you don't have 25GbE already we have a $1,200 25GbE switch that can let you link aggregate 2 or even 4 25GbE ports.

For rackmount, there is the TDS-h2489FU-4314-256G or TS-h2490FU-7302P-128G.

This may not fit your intended price range. But if you want this kind of speed, I don't think it will be easy to find either a 25GbE switch U.2 server at that price from other venders.

If you don't think you need that level of performance, the TVS-h1688X or TVS-h1288X can take 16 or 12 SATA SSDs.
Or the TS-h3088XU-RP-W1270-64G can take up to 30 SATA SSDs. For the 3088X, I would suggest filling maybe 1/3 or 1/2 of the bays in such a way as to later add RAID groups of equal size when you need more storage.
inter-rupteur

Post by inter-rupteur »

Hi QNAPDanielFL,

thanks a lot for your informations, this will help me to choose something in 2 ways (middle and high products) with these specifications...

Summary :

- U.2 NVMe or SSD sata
- 4 x 25 Gbits interfaces or 100 Gbits
- 24 to 30 (high) and 12 to 16 (middle) disk slot
- High processor
- 64, 128 or 256 Go ram

- TS-h1290FX-7302P-128G
- TDS-h2489FU-4314-256G
- TS-h2490FU-7302P-128G
- TVS-h1688X or TVS-h1288X
- TS-h3088XU-RP-W1270-64G

now, i just compare on the Qnap site the products and matching my budget.

Thanks a lot QNAPDanielFL.

Inter-rupteur

Return to “Presales”