Newbee help please

Interested in our products? Post your questions here. Let us answer before you buy.
Ahandymancan
New here

Newbee help please

Post by Ahandymancan »

Good afternoon

I am looking for your advice please

I am looking to purchase a QNap TS 453D (this is my budget for a NAS)

I will be using the NAS for music storage and want to use the Rune app included 

Can you tell me what the minimum requirements in terms of HDD/SSD storage cofiguration i require 

You recommend a SSD drive to accomodate the Rune database

Your past recommendation, is this still the case ???

1 bay with a small SSD (120GB, about) for the Roon Server install and the Roon database
2 bays with 6TB drives, RAID1 (mirrored)
1 bay with 6TB drive for weekly backup of the mirrored set

As i dont have a vast amount of music to store like many Audiofiles can i get away with 

1 x bay with a small SSD 120gb as suggested

3 x 4TB drives instead of the 6TB drives

Or would this be more suited 

1 x Quad M.2 PCle SSD expansion card with PCle memory and 

4 x 4TB drives 
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Newbee help please

Post by dolbyman »

I don't know who you mean by "you"

Never run any important storage on single drives..so use 2xSDD for that Roon storage (RAID1)
Use 2x HDD for bulk storage

Do regular backups to external destinations (USB disk, other NAS, cloud,etc)..never backup internally

Not sure what you want with the SSD expansion card
QNAPDanielFL
Easy as a breeze

Post by QNAPDanielFL »

Roon recommends at least a small SSD space for the roon database.
If you could afford the TS-473A, it has 2 X M.2 slots for the SSDs space and it has a more powerful CPU which can help roon perform better.
The TS-453D should still work.

Either way, having RAID redundancy for your storage is recommended.
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

if u have the budget i also recommend the x73a series.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PverrrapRw

if u r rely tight on budget i guess u can go ts-453d, but i would spend a little on the first recommendation ;]

3 x 4TB drives instead of the 6TB drives
this can be used to store your data e.g. videos, music, pics, etc

then u can have 2x ssd setup in raid1. this can be for your OS, your apps, and your roon database.

i do not recommend 120GB .... the smaller capacity ssd has poorer value. u have to also consider the MBTF of ssd, and usually small capacity ssds has poor MBTF and wear out sooner. Best value ssd right now is either 500gb or 1tb. Also consider how much ssd space u will need, if u need a lot then probly opt for the 1tb. If u don't need much then 500g should be alrite.

anyway check here for ssd prices and compare 500gb and 1tb urself
https://www.pcpartpicker.com/

and when buying hdds, DO NOT get a SMR hdd aka WD red. WD red plus should be fine, but if u want to boycot a company that tried to cheat their customers, then u can opt for seagate ironwolf instead (i did). These nas hdds on a budget. If on budget, don't get the pro series, non pro should be fine. 4tb drives r within my budget so thats wut i stick with. If u want to bump up to 6tb or more, thats up to u. Just make sure the storage capacity u get will last u for 5 years (this is roughly around the time when ur hdd warranty expires). U don't want to be stuck in a situation where u didn't get sufficient enuff capacity, so u end up having to replace all your drives sooner than 5 years (basically before your drives warranty had expired). Plan wisely :D

use this calculator to figure out how much total USABLE space u get
https://www.qnap.com/en/selector/raid-s ... one&raid=5
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
Ahandymancan
New here

Post by Ahandymancan »

Thank you all for your valued comments and advice

Return to “Presales”