QNAP Product advice please

Interested in our products? Post your questions here. Let us answer before you buy.
Gvm77
New here

QNAP Product advice please

Post by Gvm77 »

I need to replace my 8 year old Western Digital MyCloud NAS which I have synchronised from time to time with a WD MyBook. I want to replace it with a solution that performs faster and more reliably, and one which is not plagued with access permission problems from Windows clients.

Most of my content consists of videos and photos but the NAS needs to store MS Office files too. I wonder if the HS-264 is appropriate, and if so, is there an HS-264 app that can be used to update a back up on another disk? Or is the HS-264 overkill in my situation?

I have <10TB of data and remote streaming access is important to me as well as an HDMI connection to my TV.

What is recommended please?
TIA .... Greg
dolbyman
Guru

Re: QNAP Product advice please

Post by dolbyman »

Please define remote access and how you plan to do it..if you want to expose your NAS to WAN, see all the malware threads, to see what happens to these NAS

Also NAS are very bad players...so instead of using the NAS HDMI, use the NAS as a NAS with a different player
Gvm77
New here

Post by Gvm77 »

By remote access i mean, for example, using a smart phone over a WAN to select and stream content.

What device would you recommend?
What are examples of what you mean by "a different player"?

TIA ... Greg
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

This is what direct WAN access brings to you

viewtopic.php?f=45&t=164797

A different player can be
- Roku Stick
- Android Player
- Apple TV
-etc