Migration from readynas

Interested in our products? Post your questions here. Let us answer before you buy.
Giuzo
New here

Migration from readynas

Post by Giuzo »

Hello,
I’m planning to migrate from readynas rn104 yo ts-431p3-2g .
I have 2x10tb disks in the rn104 and I plan to add a 3rd disk during the ts setup.
The issue is that the rn104 has a terrible transfer sheet (I have seen about 20 MBps top on a 1 gigabit connection and the same on the local connected disk (internal or in usb 3 port)
I was wondering if I can mount a btrfs formatted disk (in the internal slot or usb port) when accessing via ssh. I can cross-build the kernel module if needed. That way I can put the new disk in the ts and copy the data from the old disk (raid 1, so it should be readable) and save a lot of time…

I could not find any relevant info on that topic (only questions on using btrfs for the nas storage that is not supported)

If this would be possible in a different model, I will consider it

Thanks !

G
FSC830
Experience counts

Re: Migration from readynas

Post by FSC830 »

As far as I know - no way to use foreign disks (not from another QNAP) as internal disks without formatting them by QTS.
Even when connecting a raid 1 disk from the readynas as USB disk I am not sure, if QTS can read this filesystem.
My guess is you need to go the hard way by transferring the data either by network or a USB dock.

Regards
Giuzo
New here

Re: Migration from readynas

Post by Giuzo »

Thanks,
I suppose I could always connect the disk to a Linux server and transfer the data using the network. It is hard to get worst transfer speeds that the rn104 :)
I might try building the btrfs module following the guide on https://github.com/mpbecker/QNAP_TS231P2_wireguard

Thanks for the info

G

Return to “Presales”