TS-673A-8G Gaming on VM

Interested in our products? Post your questions here. Let us answer before you buy.
KarMicCZ
New here

TS-673A-8G Gaming on VM

Post by KarMicCZ »

Hello,
could you please confirm to me if that would be possible to play fluently following games on VM running on TS-673A with compatible external GPU graphical card (GeForce GTX 1650 OC Low Profile 4G), 500 GB SSD caching (read-write), WD HDDs and dual-channel 16 GB RAM?:

Diable 3
Age of Empires 4
Starcraft 2

Thank you in advance.
Mike
dolbyman
Guru

Re: TS-673A-8G Gaming on VM

Post by dolbyman »

Best to ask QNAP (this here is a user forum)

I don't know if two cores of that embedded Rizen unit would be sufficient for these games

With a passmark of 4600(1200) it would be pretty low end for gaming Id say
KarMicCZ
New here

Post by KarMicCZ »

Hello dolbyman,
according to PCgameBenchmark are requirements met. The question is if the game experience will be comparable to gaming PC/laptop. Do you have perhaps any experience with this kind of gaming on NAS?
Regards,
Mike
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

i don't have this model, but i do have a ts-877 which i tried setting up a windows 11 VM and using a nvidia graphics card specifically a 1050GTX (Low Profile)

in regards to gaming for the QNAP nas, you can either

1. setup a VM like windows 11, then use it like you would a PC. this video below explains how to setup win11 VM

UPDATE - How To Install RC Windows 11 VM on a QNAP NAS + Software Tweaks for BEST Performance
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOI46OU_KzQ

2. you can use normal pc desktop/laptop, and mount the nas share as a drive letter for your device, then use that as your steam library

these are the 2 gaming usage i know for utilizing a qnap nas.

as for performance, well a VM is not going to be bare metal performance. but it can still be decent enough. I'm not sure if anyone has posted any detailed reviews for having tried using VM on qnap nas for demonstrating gaming performance.

But what i can tell you from my own experience, when setting up the VM on the QNAP, make sure

1. have a decent cpu with lots of threads to split between your NAS, and your VM
2. have sufficient ram also to split between nas and VM. 16gb or 32gb is a good place to consider
3. install the VM onto a SSD. You can still access your data on the NAS hdds, but the main point is that the VM itself is installed in the SSD, or you will cry that performance is not good if u don't do so.
4. for the best possible graphics performance, then the nvidia graphics installed in the NAS, then you connect a monitor to it, and configure the VM to utilize the nvidia graphics is the best setup in this regard. As to what FPS you can expect, i can't give you answer, try search google or reddit, as others may have tested this already. Only some QNAP NAS models support installing a nvidia graphics card. Also you need to be particular about the dimension size of the graphics card, best way is to check the graphics card compatibility list for your QNAP NAS model and see which will fit or not.

so yes, you could use the NAS like a desktop pc by setting up VM and use it like that. But i'd rather just use an actual desktop pc for gaming and general usage. I do use VMs on the QNAP NAS, but i mostly do so for testing purposes (other people may have their own requirements). But i'm just saying, it's not quite a good substitute for an actual desktop pc for gaming.
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

I use a VM as a video encoding node (RDP only) but that is on a system a lot more powerful that your proposed one (1288X) ...
I have never tried a VM with a dedicated GPU as real time output myself.

Return to “Presales”