TS-879 Pro RAM Upgrade options ?

Interested in our products? Post your questions here. Let us answer before you buy.
schumaku
Guru

Re: TS-879 Pro RAM Upgrade options ?

Post by schumaku »

animaleyes76 wrote:I used the Noctua and it actually made things hotter as it pushes the hot air over the HDDs.
Same will happen whit any fan if mounted the wrong way round...
animaleyes76
Know my way around

Post by animaleyes76 »

I tried both and it was the same. It doesn't even fit properly either and with the way the main board is its never gonna give great airflow.(mainly due to the massive metal chassis blocking it all)
nistem
Starting out

Post by nistem »

:arrow:
Last edited by nistem on Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
nistem
Starting out

Re: TS-879 TS-1079 Pro RAM Upgrade options ?

Post by nistem »

:idea:
Last edited by nistem on Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nistem
Starting out

Post by nistem »

:arrow:
Last edited by nistem on Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
nistem
Starting out

TS-879 Pro TS-1079 Pro Upgrade

Post by nistem »

TS-879 (The Mobo found in the TS-1079 Pro)/TS-1079 Pro Upgrade

If you are like me seeing the recommended or required hardware for Virtualization Station, Qsirch, limitations of the current deployment of WebDAV usage for clients other than Admin in the QNAP firmware, and the like in recent months, you are wondering if the QNAP 1079 Pro bought not very long ago will ever get a letter of acceptance to college, or if it's doomed to service in low paying jobs.

Thanks to forums here and other searches I was able to revive my TS-1079 Pro using the items below with pricing as of Dec 14, 2015.

I put in a XEON E3-1275v1 (new - found on Ebay for $250), with a Dynatron K129 Copper Heatsink TDP 95 for the CPU as a direct replacement for the stock aluminum heatsink rated TDP 85 ($27.95) with Arctic Silver 5 (to help address the TDP of 95, but likely not needed as the Dynatron came with paste printed on), replaced the two 12cm rear case fans with Noctua NF-F12 iPPC 2000 PWM fans (2x $23) which were probably not needed, but they did fit the case perfectly and post in the BIOS - may also help with the TDP 95 of the CPU), 16GB (8GBx2) Crucial Ballistix Sport BLS2KIT8G3D1609DS1S00/BLS2CP8G3D1609DS1S00 RAM ($65) which is a little faster than supported by the system but works very well, and [now that I have the required RAM and CPU necessary for efficient caching], I pulled two of the Seagate 4TB 5900 RPM HD's and added an optional two Samsung 850 EVO 500GB MZ-75E500B/AM SSD Drives ($149 each) in bays 7 and 8 with ICY DOCK EZConvert Pro MB982SP-1S Converters ($29 each). I also replaced the CMOS battery for good measure because they are inexpensive.

The system booted right up with the quad 4/8 cores and 16GB RAM. The v1 CPU, RAM, and case fans post in the BIOS and System Status App without issue, and I haven't in my usage seen the CPU reach a temperature above the 50's. Upon completion of the Arctic Silver 5 break-in period, the temperature has hovered at, and most often is below, 40C when engaged. I had to enable Virtualization Station in the BIOS to run CENTOS7 for my WebDAV and webpage requirements for additional users and enabled the RAID 1 read-write caching with the SSD's in the firmware.

I have always loved my TS-1079 Pro, but when I bought it I had concerns about longevity and wondered why I couldn't upgrade the 2GB RAM. Now that the NAS is listed as "discontinued" I felt the time was right to attempt a modification of the system. Careful removal of 4 corner screws that hold the motherboard to the case (on a metal support plate to which the motherboard remains mounted), 2 screws on either side of the power supply that allow the backplane to slide out sans the hard drives, and careful record keeping of what was unscrewed and unplugged from where (like the VGA mount screws, etc.), makes for a fairly reasonable upgrade of an otherwise too soon under-appreciated NAS/Server. I am loving my QNAP mod and tell everyone QNAP is the NAS to purchase.

Thank you to animaleyes76 for responding to one of my posts, I returned the Noctua low profile fan/heatsink prior to unboxing because animaleyes76 reported the fan blows the hot air from the CPU over the HD's which defeats the case cooling design, with the passive stock heatsink, and raises the case temperature. The Dynatron K129 was a perfect fit and replacement heatsink, and I was saved the need to re-pull the motherboard. - Thanks!

UPDATE: Added February 9, 2018 by NISTEM

Hi Folks,
On Dec. 15, 2015 I posted the original CPU and RAM (and fans, and heatsink, etc.) upgrade seen above, and I am pleased to report both of my QNAP 1079 Pro's are running well with the latest QTS 4.3.4 firmware. Two plus years later it seems was a good time to further upgrade the TS-1079 Pro's. I grew weary of how long it took to perform full backups over 1GbE - using Rsync directly through a cheap Gigabit router I was averaging about 30MB/s, although it fluctuates. I recently added a QNAP LAN-10G2T-X550 card ($344 each USD) to both Q's (see pictures). I also opted to replace the four Cat. 6A cables (i.e., two with each card) that came with the cards with two flat Cat 7 braided cables (Cat 7 Ethernet Cable, DanYee Nylon Braided 3ft - $5.59 each). The cards came with the required "flat" bracket needed for the TS 1079 Pro case - I had to swap out (a.k.a., remove and replace) the bracket on the card(s). I did find the bracket sold separately online for $30, but it came with the card(s) in the box.

I have the two 1GbE adapters on each QNAP port trunked in Balance-alb. I direct connected the respective 3rd and 4th 10GbE port on the new cards with a Cat 7 cable, set them on the same Subnet mask directly on the QNAP's in the QTS GUI, and used 802.3ad dynamic mode on both QNAP's with one QNAP set to use an IP Address of 192.168.1.101 and the other 192.168.1.201. It's rather simple to configure with no need for any complicated CLI syntax - all is done in the QTS GUI pop-ups. I am now seeing on average over 220MB/s file transfers using Rsync - or a real world increase of 7-8 times faster backups (it fluctuates). I am still testing port trunking options, but while the upgrade cost me $700 USD, I am pleased that I can now move data reliably and much faster than previously between the Q's.

I'd also like to clarify that if configured properly, there is no need to purchase a 10GbE switch when doing direct Q to Q file copying. I know this is shared elsewhere, but some websites and documentation on this topic range from a little confusing to outright misleading. Even the graphic in QTS shows a switch in the port trunking pop-up. The cost of the switches - the better ones anyway are still in the $750 - 1K range with 4+ 10GbE ports. Then too, there would be an additional managed switch to configure and possible need to purchase a couple more Cat 7 Ethernet cables (if you opted for the flat cables - they hang nicely from the "horizontal" 10GbE ports in this scenario) to complete the project. In my case where I simply want Q to Q backups, a switch would more than double the cost of the upgrade and create another point of potential failure. Instead, two 10GbE Adapter cards and employment of directly connected Cat 6A/7 cable is all the hardware required to complete a faster Q to Q backup. I am loving the increase in speed. I sleep better when I know a large file(s) transfer completed without error - making the project worth the cost of the upgrade.

Now if I could only get those genius programming gurus at QNAP to add "Gradebook Station" to the App Center!

Cheers :DD
06 NEW QNAP LAN-10G2T-X550 Inside Case.jpeg
07 NEW QNAP LAN-10G2T-X550 Ports.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by nistem on Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:00 pm, edited 12 times in total.
Puki
Starting out

Post by Puki »

I've upgraded my 879Pro (4.2.0 18.11.2015) with 16GB (2x8) Kingston KVR13N9K2/16, DDR3-1333 CL9. Working like a charme, except: every time after a (clean and normal) reboot or a switch off/on the NAS reports "the file system is not clean. check file system".

Doing so everything then is fine - until the next reboot. I've had this issue before only on abnormal reboots with a hanging NAS, when only a hard reset worked.

Any suggestions?
nistem
Starting out

Re: TS-879 Pro TS-1079 Pro RAM Upgrade options ?

Post by nistem »

:?:
[attachment=0]QNAP File Error After Reboot.jpg[/attachment]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by nistem on Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:50 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Puki
Starting out

Re: TS-879 Pro TS-1079 Pro RAM Upgrade options ?

Post by Puki »

nistem wrote:I am not experiencing any similar issues. Have you looked at the properties of the files? Sometimes a pesky file of zero bytes creates havoc. Remove the file, and the file system may have the ghosts exercised and be clean. Apart from then trying to see if it is related to hardware, I would suggest first moving the clean files to external storage formatted EXT4 (if you haven't already) and do a clean factory reset of the QNAP. Record all pertinent settings related to IP, etc., and then go to the Control Panel, Backup/Restore, Restore to Factory Default. Upon reboot you'll be able to restore the volume(s) and hopefully the problem will be eliminated. I am using RAID 6 with a "thick" multiple volume. To enable Snapshots in QTS 4.2 I needed to recreate the volume anyway. Maybe you've done this already. If not, since your issue is a file system issue, a pure clean wipe and recopy of the files back to a pristine QNAP would be what I would try first. Then if the problem persists, I would examine the RAM next, using the Diagnostic Tool App first, and RAM pull and test second. Yet, because we may already have the cart before the donkey, I would suggest trying the above first to see if the problem is resolved. Cheers
Thanks a lot for your answer! Do you have any hint for me to find a corrupted file? With what kind of tool?

Additionally I unfortunately have to say, that I have a SQL Server with phpMyAdmin running (for Kodi) - and I haven't installed a backup Routine for that until now (don't hurt me ;o). Because all I've read about backing up SQL database confused me more than it helped...

Regards
nistem
Starting out

Post by nistem »

File Station allows searching by less than/greater than file size. Diagnostic Tool allows a simple check of RAM. Cheers
Last edited by nistem on Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Puki
Starting out

Post by Puki »

nistem wrote:File Station allows searching by less than/greater than file size. Diagnostic Tool allows a simple check of RAM.

Related to the server and Kodi, I might offer a suggestion to restrategize deployment if possible.

Kodi is good. However, a move to Virtualization Station and one may easily keep backups of entire VM's. I've found the QNAP player to be solid these days, and plays MakeMKV (*.mkv) files well. If I need to shrink a file I use Handbrake. VLC is good for QNAP to the PC and Mac including iOS. It takes a little finagling to get it running on CentOS. On iOS I prefer to use QNAP apps over VLC. I've found not everything plays on the current VLC for iOS that will play with QNAP apps. EyeTV works well on Mac OS and Kodi works for the older HomeRunHD to view TV stations on Windows 10, but I plan to get a newer device one of these days when I find one that "really" works seamlessly with both Mac/PC and Mobile Devices without stunting live TV viewing. Cheers
Again: thanks a lot!

RAM test was without any error and searching for zero-byte-files didn't find any. I'm going now to go from scratch - but for the first time I have to see, that I haven't backupped ALL files (SQL, TimeMachine etc.). So this is also very a good lesson for me ;o)

It would be so great if QNAP would offer a tool for a backup for all their apps like TimeMachine, SQL an so on...

Kodi works very well for me (2 NAS, several Win7 and one MacBookPro) - so I don't want to change this.

Best regards
TS-879 Pro 4.3.3.0378 (2017/11/17)
TVS-EC1080 4.3.3.0378 (2017/11/17)
TS-853A 4.3.3.0378 (2017/11/17)
animaleyes76
Know my way around

Re: TS-879 Pro TS-1079 Pro Upgrade

Post by animaleyes76 »

nistem wrote:TS-879 (The Mobo found in the TS-1079 Pro)/TS-1079 Pro Upgrade

If you are like me seeing the recommended or required hardware for Virtualization Station, Qsirch, limitations of the current deployment of WebDAV usage for clients other than Admin in the QNAP firmware, and the like in recent months, you are wondering if the QNAP 1079 Pro bought not very long ago will ever get a letter of acceptance to college, or if it's doomed to service in low paying jobs.

Thanks to forums here and other searches I was able to revive my TS-1079 Pro using the items below with pricing as of Dec 14, 2015.

I put in a XEON E3-1275v1 (new - found on Ebay for $250), with a Dynatron K129 Copper Heatsink TDP 95 for the CPU as a direct replacement for the stock aluminum heatsink rated TDP 85 ($27.95) with Arctic Silver 5 (to help address the TDP of 95, but likely not needed as the Dynatron came with paste printed on), replaced the two 12cm rear case fans with Noctua NF-F12 iPPC 2000 PWM fans (2x $23) which were probably not needed, but they did fit the case perfectly and post in the BIOS - may also help with the TDP 95 of the CPU), 16GB (8GBx2) Crucial Ballistix Sport BLS2KIT8G3D1609DS1S00/BLS2CP8G3D1609DS1S00 RAM ($65) which is a little faster than supported by the system but works very well, and [now that I have the required RAM and CPU necessary for efficient caching], I pulled two of the Seagate 4TB 5900 RPM HD's and added an optional two Samsung 850 EVO 500GB MZ-75E500B/AM SSD Drives ($149 each) in bays 7 and 8 with ICY DOCK EZConvert Pro MB982SP-1S Converters ($29 each). I also replaced the CMOS battery for good measure because they are inexpensive.

The system booted right up with the quad 4/8 cores and 16GB RAM. The v1 CPU, RAM, and case fans post in the BIOS and System Status App without issue, and I haven't in my usage seen the CPU reach a temperature above the 50's. Upon completion of the Arctic Silver 5 break-in period, the temperature has hovered at, and most often is below, 40C when engaged. I had to enable Virtualization Station in the BIOS to run CENTOS7 for my WebDAV and webpage requirements for additional users, and enabled the RAID 1 read-write caching with the SSD's in the firmware.

I have always loved my TS-1079 Pro, but when I bought it I had concerns about longevity and wondered why I couldn't upgrade the 2GB RAM. Now that the NAS is listed as "discontinued" I felt the time was right to attempt a modification of the system. Careful removal of 4 corner screws that hold the motherboard to the case (on a metal support plate to which the motherboard remains mounted), 2 screws on either side of the power supply that allow the backplane to slide out sans the hard drives, and careful record keeping of what was unscrewed and unplugged from where (like the VGA mount screws, etc.), makes for a fairly reasonable upgrade of an otherwise too soon under appreciated NAS/Server. I am loving my QNAP mod and tell everyone QNAP is the NAS to purchase.

Thank you to animaleyes76 for responding to one of my posts, I returned the Noctua low profile fan/heatsink prior to unboxing because animaleyes76 reported the fan blows the hot air from the CPU over the HD's which defeats the case cooling design, with the passive stock heatsink, and raises the case temperature. The Dynatron K129 was a perfect fit and replacement heatsink, and I was saved the need to re-pull the motherboard. - Thanks!
Not looked on here for ages but what a great post. :)

I might even try some of your suggestions (heatsink and fans) :)

Cheers :)
Shad0w
Getting the hang of things

Re: TS-879 Pro TS-1079 Pro Upgrade

Post by Shad0w »

animaleyes76 wrote:
nistem wrote:TS-879 (The Mobo found in the TS-1079 Pro)/TS-1079 Pro Upgrade

The system booted right up with the quad 4/8 cores and 16GB RAM. The v1 CPU, RAM, and case fans post in the BIOS and System Status App without issue, and I haven't in my usage seen the CPU reach a temperature above the 50's. Upon completion of the Arctic Silver 5 break-in period, the temperature has hovered at, and most often is below, 40C when engaged. I had to enable Virtualization Station in the BIOS to run CENTOS7 for my WebDAV and webpage requirements for additional users, and enabled the RAID 1 read-write caching with the SSD's in the firmware.

I have always loved my TS-1079 Pro, but when I bought it I had concerns about longevity and wondered why I couldn't upgrade the 2GB RAM. Now that the NAS is listed as "discontinued" I felt the time was right to attempt a modification of the system. Careful removal of 4 corner screws that hold the motherboard to the case (on a metal support plate to which the motherboard remains mounted), 2 screws on either side of the power supply that allow the backplane to slide out sans the hard drives, and careful record keeping of what was unscrewed and unplugged from where (like the VGA mount screws, etc.), makes for a fairly reasonable upgrade of an otherwise too soon under appreciated NAS/Server. I am loving my QNAP mod and tell everyone QNAP is the NAS to purchase.

Not looked on here for ages but what a great post. :)

I might even try some of your suggestions (heatsink and fans) :)

Cheers :)

Followed this to a T.... FLAWLESS.... thank u OP.
damian_g
Starting out

Post by damian_g »

Hi,
has anyone tried INTEL CORE i7-2700k? These seem to be more readily available but I do not know of anyone successfully using them in 879/1079 Pro.
Here's a comparison between i7-2700K ,E3-1275,i3-2120:
http://ark.intel.com/compare/61275,52277,53426
Looks like it should work?
Also looking on the http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/CPUs/Intel/C ... -2120.html it has an 85% chance upgrade working (last column).
If I went i7-2700K route, the TCASE temp shows 72.6°C (in the Package Specifications section towards bottom of page) so would heat sink be enough?
Any help appreciated
Thanks!
Jatoff
First post

Post by Jatoff »

Hi,

I recently bought a used 879 Pro and inspired by this thread (special thanks to nistem) I performed the ram upgrade to 16 GB (same as nistem uses). That went flawless!

I had an i7-2600S (65 TDP) laying around from an old build, and as I figured it might work as an upgrade, I replaced the i3-2120. The upgrade itself went without any problems: the new cpu was recognized by the BIOS and the QTS 4.2.1 ran fine and recognized all cores. Just out of curiosity I wanted to see what the upgraded cpu meant performance, so I streamed a blu-ray ripped movie from Plex to two sources that both required transcoding. As I tried to stream to a third source the cpu could not keep up anymore...

Out of curiosity I logged into the shell via Putty and poked around. It turned out that "cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_available_frequencies" showed a range of frequencies from 1600000 to 2800000. As the i7-2600S is a 2.8 GHz cpu with turbo-boost up to 3.8 GHz I was a little surprised not to see any frequencies above 2.8 GHz.

On forum.qnap.net.pl I found a thread about upgrading the cpu on the ts-x70 and thanks to Google translate I found out that the BIOS in ts-x70 does not support turbo-boost. As my findings imply that is probably also the case with the x79-series...

My conclusion so far: when you choose a replacement processor then be aware that it probably only will run at its base frequency.

As next step I have mostly for fun ordered a used Xeon E3-1275 which has a base frequency of 3.4 GHz (and will sell the i7-2600S) to see what performance that brings...

Update will follow...

Return to “Presales”