Qnap TS 509 - 5 bay NAS

Interested in our products? Post your questions here. Let us answer before you buy.
QNAPSimon

Re: Qnap TS 509 - 5 bay NAS

Post by QNAPSimon »

TS-509 was originally designed to target the enterprise level users and therefore surveillance station was excluded. However, we have received a lot of requests and we will include this feature in a later update. Patch is scheduled for late September. For people who have doubts, TS-109/209/409 did not have surveillance station either. It was only recently included in the June update because a lot of customers requested it. Rest assured, Qnap does listen to its customers.
phkoech
Know my way around

Post by phkoech »

QNAPSimon wrote:TS-509 was originally designed to target the enterprise level users and therefore surveillance station was excluded. However, we have received a lot of requests and we will include this feature in a later update. Patch is scheduled for late September
Good news. Thanks !
Don
Guru

Post by Don »

madgrt wrote: As you have one in your sig.... does the 509 make much noise and / or use much power??
It's a big fan so can move more air at a slower speed. I am running it with 3 HDD and to me it's quite. The 509 also give you the following control over your fan:
Fan Settings.jpg
As far as power is concerned I don't have a power meter so I can't tell you what the usage is.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +
christhedon
Getting the hang of things

Post by christhedon »

have you had the opportunity to compare the noise level to a 409?
Don
Guru

Post by Don »

Sorry I don't have a 409.
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +
koy
Getting the hang of things

Post by koy »

QNAPSimon wrote:TS-509 was originally designed to target the enterprise level users and therefore surveillance station was excluded. However, we have received a lot of requests and we will include this feature in a later update. Patch is scheduled for late September. For people who have doubts, TS-109/209/409 did not have surveillance station either. It was only recently included in the June update because a lot of customers requested it. Rest assured, Qnap does listen to its customers.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
:D Excellent news, I don't have to look anywhere else now. Just wish they where in the shops already.:D
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Price here: http://www.qnap-store.co.uk/index.php?a ... oductId=32

£499.95 About 634.25€ and thats about 85€ more than one USA sites price... Hmmm
(Taxing *%^%$£) oh and thats not including TAX.
TS-509
moo5e
Starting out

Post by moo5e »

QNAPSimon wrote:...we have received a lot of requests and we will include this feature in a later update. Patch is scheduled for late September. For people who have doubts, TS-109/209/409 did not have surveillance station either. It was only recently included in the June update because a lot of customers requested it. Rest assured, Qnap does listen to its customers.
This is a fantastic response! I have been trying to decide between a number of NAS suppliers and one of my main concerns was the support that can be provided.

You definately have a customer here! Great work!
moo5e
Starting out

Post by moo5e »

In fact - just placed my order at the Qnap store. (19 left now guys n gals!)
madgrt
New here

Post by madgrt »

Thanks for the info Don. :)

------------------------------------------

Comon QNAP-guys, you said this week and it´s Friday morning here in Australia already.
How about an RRP $?
thomas72
First post

Post by thomas72 »

I am very interesting in the new TS 509 but when I have a look into the Products Comparison Table I couldn't find

mkv as UPnP Multimedia Service Support Protocol.

My question is could I play mkv's over the net or not. I wanted to connect my TVIX Box whicj works perfectly with mkv.
fomated films.

TiA
KL643
Experience counts

Post by KL643 »

You can do this by streaming smb/nfs. Twonky the UPnp streaming client doesn't support mkv's. I'm using my 209-Pro to stream mkv's etc to my Popcornhour and i'm loving it :D
ALcALoIDe
New here

Post by ALcALoIDe »

Hi, guys.

I am wondering on buying a TS509 but jumbo frame is not supported. Is this a FW implemented function which can feature the product later or a hardware limit?

Thanks for the reply.

Regards.
BREK
Starting out

Post by BREK »

Can someone point me to the spec's for the 509?
Especially power consumption, Sound levels etc.

Also, does anyone know if a TS-509 (non pro version) is gonna come out?
qn00b
Know my way around

Post by qn00b »

NAS HQ has the TS-509 units for sale ... online and on eBay.

http://www.nashq.com/

They have posted this new model at $846 USD without any HDDs.

Now I just need to win a lottery :)
LenovoEMC px12-450r, QC Xeon, 16Gb RAM, 8 x ST33000651AS ~ RAID5, Hosting Debian Wheezy VM
Backing up to 5 x ST32000644NS ~ RAID0 in a Lian Li EX-50 (eSATA) + 2 x WD 6TB MyBook (USB 2.0)
QNAPSimon

Post by QNAPSimon »

ALcALoIDe wrote:Hi, guys.

I am wondering on buying a TS509 but jumbo frame is not supported. Is this a FW implemented function which can feature the product later or a hardware limit?

Thanks for the reply.

Regards.

The LAN chip on TS-509 does not support jumbo frame therefore this is a hardware limitation and can not be corrected by future firmware. However, we tested several LAN chips at the design stage and the one we finally decided on out performed the ones with Jumbo frame. TS-509 does not need jumbo frame to reach or even surpass that performance level.

Return to “Presales”