TS-451 memory upgrade (compatibility)

Interested in our products? Post your questions here. Let us answer before you buy.
ITEngineer
Easy as a breeze

Re: TS-451 memory upgrade (compatibility)

Post by ITEngineer »

schumaku wrote:
ITEngineer wrote:So in my case for new TS-451, can I just use any DDR3 SODIM from a laptop 2x 4 GB modules as long as they're both identical ?
No :oops: kind of, but not that generic ... the NAS does (for example) require 1.35V DDR3L, requires single channel resp. can't work with dual-channel-SO-DIMMs,, Compare the notebook memory you have in mind with the commonly known working Crucial or Kingston modules.
Thanks schumaku,

I'll keep that in mind when looking for SODIMM replacement.
--
Regards,

IT Engineer
kimhornung
New here

Post by kimhornung »

Hello

I have just bought a Qnap TS-253A-4G my first NAS and would like to now about this Crucial DDR3L-1600 SODIMM SC - 8GB RAM is okey for this model. What is maximum RAM 2X4GB or 2X8GB in the spec stands 8GB but is it per block or is it toalt 8GB. I can see 2X8GB works with a TS-451.

Regards
Kim
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

@Kim, Please no double postings. Replied in the now locked thread http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=120356 already.
kimhornung
New here

Post by kimhornung »

Hello

Ok sorry this is the first time I use this. I had written this when I came to think it was better to write it in my own thread. It will not happen again.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Hey Kim ... we don't eat or ban anybody here, don't worry. Pretty much free speech allowed here.

Welcome to the QNAP NAS Community Forum!

Regards,
-Kurt.
Handonam
New here

Post by Handonam »

Are you guys noticing a large performance increase from 2x4gb(8gb) vs 2x8gb(16gb)? I'm planning on running virtualization with just one instance of centos running a nodejs web server.

My guess is that QNAP will recognize the 16gb, but may not use all of it.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

More memory is certainly better - not that the NAS will use all of it - but a VM with 8, 12, or some 14.5 GB has certainly the higher potential, requiring less swapping. That much about "not use it".

-Kurt.
llNano
First post

Post by llNano »

I tried with one module : This one > Kingston KVR16LS11/4

Worked perfectly, but 4 hours later my QNAP TS-251 freezed.
I tried to reboot and never worked again, so I returned his ADATA modules and worked perfectly.

What´s wrong about that 4 gb Kingston module? I have to use a pair? Can´t work in single mode?

(Sorry about my english, I´m spanish jejejej)

Thanks a lot, this is my first post.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

llNano wrote:What´s wrong about that 4 gb Kingston module?
Module broken? Pairs of the same capacity are required if two SO-DIMM are inserted.
skuripanda
New here

Post by skuripanda »

Question for the experts:

Does the module / kit have to mention DDR3L, or is it enough if the RAM specs state it runs with 1.35V?
I see this voltage constantly stated as the max for Qnap TS451, but almost any (with some exceptions) DDR3 1600 module I see has this voltage listed, even though it's not listed as "DDR3L".

EDIT: also, is it better to buy a kit (say, 2x 4GB) or can you buy two identical (individual) modules (same model, manufacturer, specs)?
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Welcome to the QNAP NAS Community Forum!

DDR3 1.35V should be fine ... as this is DDR3L. Not your mistake: I'm impressed that even major brand makers fail to provide complete and appropriate information.

Kits are commonly come with a lower price. Using two of the same make and model does not cause any issues.

Regards,
-Kurt.
skuripanda
New here

Post by skuripanda »

Thank you Kurt for the advice and the nice welcome.

I'm now sporting a nice new RAM upgrade in my Qnap NAS. Went with Crucial CT2C4G3S160BMCEU, which is a 2x4GB DDR3L 1600 kit.
The store advertised it only as DDR3 SODIMM (and didn't list the part number either), but after a quick email exchange with them it turned out it was indeed DDR3L 1.35V. Why the online store doesn't properly list the products they sell you ask? Who knows...

NAS booted up without a hitch and new memory is visible and functional. Most excellent.
Bollio
First post

Post by Bollio »

So not really researching much purchased and popped them in my ts-251+

Patriot DDR3 8GB (2x4GB Modules) 1600MHz Dual Memory kit.
http://www.frys.com/product/7912890

Everything seems to be working just fine... Anyone think there's an issue or given that everything seems to be working, this is compatible?
serverpowered
New here

Post by serverpowered »

This thread was very helpful to me in determining which memory to get. So time to give back. I went with this and it worked without issues:

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600MHz CL11 SODIMM Memory 1.35V (F3-1600C11D-16GRSL)
NassyMcNasface
New here

Post by NassyMcNasface »

Well, I'm not sure if this is going to work for me.

I'm on TS-451+, not sure why other people get max 64gb with dmidecode, but I show max 8gb.

# dmidecode |grep -A 2 -B 6 -i maximum

Handle 0x0028, DMI type 16, 23 bytes
Physical Memory Array
Use: System Memory
Error Correction Type: None
Maximum Capacity: 8 GB
Error Information Handle: Not Provided
Number Of Devices: 2

For the money, I'd rather buy the max and do the job once--RAM is cheap. But if it's not going to support it, or worse, won't booth with unsupported memory... I suppose I'll have to stick with 8gb.

So, I'm curious if this is a 451 vs 451+ thing, or if in the newer versions they've changed hardware or patched something to limit the capacity. I bought this NAS last week.

EDIT: It says "Number Of Devices: 2"... does that mean each slot is a device, therefore max is 16gb? I'm kind of thinking of just buying it, and sending it back if it doesn't work.

Return to “Presales”