TS-451 memory upgrade (compatibility)

Interested in our products? Post your questions here. Let us answer before you buy.
jorgibravo
New here

Re: TS-451 memory upgrade (compatibility)

Post by jorgibravo »

JohnD11 wrote:Not sure if this is correct forum, but TS-451A doesn't boot with Kingston KVR16LS11/8. Neither with 2 nor with 1 module.
Hello, I have a TS-451+ and I can confirm that the Kingston (KVR16LS11/8) 8GB DDR3L works without any issues in my NAS. System info recognizes it as Total memory 8 GB (7.70 GB usable).

"dmidecode --type memory" gives the following output:

Handle 0x0028, DMI type 16, 23 bytes
Physical Memory Array
Use: System Memory
Error Correction Type: None
Maximum Capacity: 8 GB
Error Information Handle: Not Provided
Number Of Devices: 2

Handle 0x002A, DMI type 17, 40 bytes
Memory Device
Array Handle: 0x0028
Total Width: 64 bits
Data Width: 64 bits
Size: 8192 MB
Form Factor: DIMM
Set: None
Locator: A1_DIMM0
Bank Locator: A1_BANK0
Type: <OUT OF SPEC>
Type Detail: Unknown
Speed: 1600 MHz (0.6 ns)
Manufacturer: Kingston
Serial Number: XXXXXXXXXX
Asset Tag: A1_AssetTagNum0
Part Number: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Handle 0x002C, DMI type 17, 40 bytes
Memory Device
Total Width: Unknown
Size: No Module Installed
Locator: A1_DIMM1
Bank Locator: A1_BANK1
Type: Unknown
Speed: Unknown
Manufacturer: A1_Manufacturer1
Serial Number: A1_SerNum1
Asset Tag: A1_AssetTagNum1
Part Number: Array1_PartNumber1

I will try to buy the second 8GB from the same memory and will post the results if the 16works,
Hope this helps!
JoBrCoGB
Getting the hang of things

Post by JoBrCoGB »

schumaku wrote:This is a community forum. You talk to other QNAP onwers and users, not to QNAP here.
Thanks, but I'm well aware. I was hoping someone had asked QNAP since the TS-451 had hit the market or from a QNAP representative that might peruse these forums.
schumaku wrote:There is neither an external northbridge nor a dedicated memory controller: Each TS-451 is build based on a J1800 SoC, which has two memory channels.
All computers have memory controllers whether on an SoC or a more discreet architecture, it makes no difference.
schumaku wrote:QNAP does - like many other makers of embedded and NAS systems - not publish any internals of their hardware designs.
So then you must have owned one to know what's onboard. That's the problem then isn't it? If would be owners want to know what they'll be getting for their money, they have to either seek out the manufacturer or those that own one to find out. That, of course, is what I'm attempting to do. I want to buy that which is best for my first NAS within my price range. Isn't this the presales area? Is there another presales area where one can ask questions of a QNAP representative, thereby not receiving a secondhand understanding of their products?
In 10+ years with multiple NAS barnds/makers, I've neither seen a single product review talking about missing internals nor any complaints o the memory performance.
Huh? Curious considering the 'facts' you have thus far presented.
QNAP does - like many other makers of embedded and NAS systems - not publish any internals of their hardware designs.
Silly in light of one being able to buy one then simply examine the components, like you apparently have. Maybe that says more about sales ethics rather than consumer satisfaction ethics.
QNAP hardware PM confirmed the TS-451 does make use of the two memory channels for the two slots.
How do you know? To me that seems somewhat contradictory, in that they only sell single SODIMMs, not matched pairs. I did notice, at least if their supplied photos are actually representative of the part one receives, that each SODIMM has a max of four memory chips onboard, if they're actually single sided modules. Of course all this would seem to indicate that what I initially implied is true, which is that the actual SoC used, doesn't contain a dual channel memory controller, and that since these systems are all about being as green as possible, they only supply SODIMMs having the least number of components so as to reduce current load seen on the respective regulated power supply circuits. I mean we're talking about a 90 watt brick that supplies power to the entire NAS.

Isn't there a factory 4GB version? If so, does anyone know if they contain a single or dual SODIMMs?

Seriously guys, one has to wonder about the price point of the factory supplied upgrade SODIMMs, that they're not sold in matched pairs and that a 'dual channel memory controller' isn't mentioned in the specs QNAP supplies, which is a means to sell their products. One has to ask oneself, what it is, that those facts actually indicate, regardless of what someone tells you they heard somewhere, (hearsay).

Does anyone know where I can ask presale questions of a QNAP representative?
NAS: TS-563 RAM: 16GB
QTS: v4.5.2.1566 build 20210202
HD's: (so far) 8TB x4; RAID5
BU: Mint18.3 Xfce SMB Server (8TB x4; RAID5); 64bit
WS: Dual boot Win7 SP1/Mint18.3 Cinnamon; 64bit
STV: TCL 55P605; Sony XBR-65X900E

-----------------------------------------------
The relativity of our experiences, so the differences between us.
'I only know that I know nothing.' --Socrates--
A good place to start, devoid of falsehoods!
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

JoBrCoGB wrote: I was hoping someone had asked QNAP
We have asked for you again, just to be on the safe side.
JoBrCoGB wrote:All computers have memory controllers whether on an SoC or a more discreet architecture, it makes no difference.
You asked about the memory controller...the SoC specs are readily available from Intel ARK.
JoBrCoGB wrote:How do you know?
Because I've asked again on your behalf - just before the Chinese New Year festivities.
JoBrCoGB wrote:So then you must have owned one to know what's onboard.
Yes. Still own more than one 451...but never ripped it down to a BoM level.
JoBrCoGB wrote:To me that seems somewhat contradictory, in that they only sell single SODIMMs, not matched pairs.
"Matched pairs" is maketing gabrage for memory tuning geeks only. Similar speced modules work perfectly on such systems.
JoBrCoGB wrote:Isn't there a factory 4GB version? If so, does anyone know if they contain a single or dual SODIMMs?
Yes. Check the specs https://www.qnap.com/en/product/model.p ... 43&event=2 ....TS-451-4G: 4GB DDR3L RAM (2GB x 2).
JoBrCoGB

Post by JoBrCoGB »

Thanks for all the rest, but the following is your opinion, that I would characterize as one of mediocrity. (And of course I hope you're using "geek" in the kindest of ways, for the sake of your credibility.)
schumaku wrote:"Matched pairs" is maketing gabrage for memory tuning geeks only.
All product does not come off the assembly line with the exact same specs, though they should always be within certain allowed tolerances. Though I've known manufacturers that have salt and peppered known, out of tolerance parts, into their shipment, because they didn't want to take the loss associated with a particularly bad production run. Matched sets are exactly: those modules that are hand picked pairs that more closely match the engineering spec, than two that are at each end of the specs allowed tolerance, or one of which might possibly be out of tolerance. So not marketing garbage to all, except for those that have drawn their own particular line in the sand of acceptable/unacceptable loss/gain. When you're only talking of an actual gain of a few percentage points between single and dual channel architecture, every contributing advantage matters to those that care.

One shouldn't get lost in the belief that their particular viewpoint is somehow to be considered a universal. Among men the truth of what is best is relative indeed, simply subjective. For instance, I hate Picasso's cubism preferring artists that embraced realism and idealism. Some people are perfectionists, some aren't, who's to say which school of thought is better? You? Me? Somethings value is only to be determined by they that choose to value it.
schumaku wrote:Yes. Check the specs https://www.qnap.com/en/product/model.p ... 43&event=2 ....TS-451-4G: 4GB DDR3L RAM (2GB x 2).
In this case we could speak of inconsistency. The factory 1GB model ships with only one slot populated while the factory 4GB model ships with both slots populated. Hmmmm, so what's more important? Who knows, it would seem.

I noticed you didn't address the most important question of all:

Does anyone know where I can ask presale questions of a QNAP representative?

So I take it 'you' don't, yet 'you' can ask them questions? :-0

schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

JoBrCoGB wrote:In this case we could speak of inconsistency. The factory 1GB model ships with only one slot populated while the factory 4GB model ships with both slots populated.
The NAS is able to operate with a sinlge module in one slot (so the processor does run in single memory channel mode) as well as the similar spec'ed modules in both slots (so the processor does run in dual memory channel mode).
JoBrCoGB wrote:So I take it 'you' don't, yet 'you' can ask them questions?
Yes, I can talk to almost everyone within QNAP, asking questions, placing complaints, feeding bugs, even being a nasty community rep ...
JoBrCoGB wrote:All product does not come off the assembly line with the exact same specs, though they should always be within certain allowed tolerances. Though I've known manufacturers that have salt and peppered known, out of tolerance parts, into their shipment, because they didn't want to take the loss associated with a particularly bad production run. Matched sets are exactly: those modules that are hand picked pairs that more closely match the engineering spec, than two that are at each end of the specs allowed tolerance, or one of which might possibly be out of tolerance. So not marketing garbage to all, except for those that have drawn their own particular line in the sand of acceptable/unacceptable loss/gain. When you're only talking of an actual gain of a few percentage points between single and dual channel architecture, every contributing advantage matters to those that care.
I do perfectly understand when this geeky things are reuired. Here on the NAS there is no need. When I'm updating my customers, my friens and my own NAS, I use kits where available. Doing so is just a recommedation. In general, identical modules are sufficient. Hand picked ... yeah, dream on.

Know what? Let's bring this to an end: QNAP does not support 3rd party memory at all - they can refuse support if they suspect non-compatible memory is in place. This might be the answer to almost all your questions.

Still not convinced -> https://helpdesk.qnap.com/ select your market, and Presales.

Regards,
-Kurt.

PS. I'm neither QNAP, nor in control of, nor a forum admin - and I don't care much on what designations are used automatically, based on the forum activity here.
stich86
New here

Post by stich86 »

Hi guys,

i've a spare Samsung 4GB stick (M471B5173QH0-YK0). It's recognised from the system (TS-251) and it can boot but there is a strange issue. In system view and performance I don't see anymore CPU% and RAM% used. Is it normal?

Thanks!
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Hello,
stich86 wrote:i've a spare Samsung 4GB stick (M471B5173QH0-YK0). It's recognised from the system (TS-251) and it can boot but there is a strange issue. In system view and performance I don't see anymore CPU% and RAM% used. Is it normal?
No, of course not. Beyond of the NAS model, please provide firmware version and build number. Your description read like a knonw issue QNAP had back in late 2014, around QTS 4.1.1/4.1.x.

Should the problem remain on the curent QTS 4.2.3 resp. the QTS 4.3.2.0050 or newer Beta, in addition to the above, please file a ticket on https://helpdesk.qnap.com/

Regards,
-Kurt.
stich86
New here

Post by stich86 »

My nas is running latest beta firmware. Do you think I can open ticket also if I've mounted an "unsupported" RAM?

Thanks
JoBrCoGB

Post by JoBrCoGB »

schumaku wrote:
JoBrCoGB wrote:In this case we could speak of inconsistency. The factory 1GB model ships with only one slot populated while the factory 4GB model ships with both slots populated.
The NAS is able to operate with a sinlge module in one slot (so the processor does run in single memory channel mode) as well as the similar spec'ed modules in both slots (so the processor does run in dual memory channel mode).
Of course it can, but that wasn't my point. The point is that it would seem the company doesn't care one way or another how it's populated, right? Otherwise they would be consistent in how they send them out the door. So what does that say about either their customer care or the actual difference between the two configurations?
schumaku wrote:
JoBrCoGB wrote:So I take it 'you' don't, yet 'you' can ask them questions?
Yes, I can talk to almost everyone within QNAP, asking questions, placing complaints, feeding bugs, even being a nasty community rep ...
That's nice that you're special! ;-) And as far as nasty goes, I seriously doubt many around here knows more pain than I...
schumaku wrote:
JoBrCoGB wrote:All product does not come off the assembly line with the exact same specs, though they should always be within certain allowed tolerances. Though I've known manufacturers that have salt and peppered known, out of tolerance parts, into their shipment, because they didn't want to take the loss associated with a particularly bad production run. Matched sets are exactly: those modules that are hand picked pairs that more closely match the engineering spec, than two that are at each end of the specs allowed tolerance, or one of which might possibly be out of tolerance. So not marketing garbage to all, except for those that have drawn their own particular line in the sand of acceptable/unacceptable loss/gain. When you're only talking of an actual gain of a few percentage points between single and dual channel architecture, every contributing advantage matters to those that care.
I do perfectly understand when this geeky things are reuired. Here on the NAS there is no need.
Simply your opinion, because of where you draw that line, yet you can't speak for everyone, it's that simple.
schumaku wrote:When I'm updating my customers, my friens and my own NAS, I use kits where available.
Better watch out, 'QNAP doesn't support it - they can refuse support if they suspect non-compatible memory is in place.' ;-)
schumaku wrote:Doing so is just a recommedation. In general, identical modules are sufficient.
Again, your opinion and while I'd fight for you right to have your own, I have mine. And that's about the end of it!
schumaku wrote:Hand picked ... yeah, dream on.
Some manufacturers have hand picked, which is why they usually cost more, of course no one can say that things don't change.
schumaku wrote:Know what? Let's bring this to an end: QNAP does not support 3rd party memory at all - they can refuse support if they suspect non-compatible memory is in place. This might be the answer to almost all your questions.
You're talking to the wrong man, I don't care what anyone 'can' do, what matters is what they shall do, and if it's actually warranted. I worked with avionics on multi-million dollar aircraft, done micro-min work in an intermediate level maintenance department repairing PCB's for all kinds of avionic systems, not just computers. If you know anything about electronics, you know that just as well as 'you' can know what SoC is used in QNAP systems, so could other memory manufacturers, and for that matter some manufacturer's might make a better module for a particular SoC than is made by the company that makes them for QNAP. Most major memory manufacturers are more than capable of making modules for any particular SoC. I'm sure Intel works closely with Crucial, among others.
schumaku wrote:Still not convinced -> https://helpdesk.qnap.com/ select your market, and Presales.
Here's the deal Kurt, I take what anyone says in a forum, other than company representatives, with a grain of salt, not that I'm saying that they necessarily don't know what they're talking about, as how can ones ignorance of something speak of anothers? They can't. I'm one of those people that when I'm talking to you on the phone, rest assured I'm recording the conversation? Why? To better serve you of course. Serve what? Either kudos for your honesty or a class action lawsuit, which ever applies. I also like filling out BBB forms if they apply.
schumaku wrote:PS. I'm neither QNAP, nor in control of, nor a forum admin - and I don't care much on what designations are used automatically, based on the forum activity here.
You lost me here. If you care to expound that's fine, if not that's fine too.

Later my debating friend. ;-)

P.S. Here is something I'm concerned about: PC Magazine (online): "The Best NAS (Network Attached Storage) Devices of 2017" The QNAP TS-251 is the second mentioned Editors Choice, but they had this to say:

"Cons
Slow at restoring RAID mirror in testing.
Design lends itself to quick wear and tear."

I'm done, I'll make my best guess as to what's more important and take my chances either way.

schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

JoBrCoGB wrote:P.S. Here is something I'm concerned about: PC Magazine (online): "The Best NAS (Network Attached Storage) Devices of 2017" The QNAP TS-251 is the second mentioned Editors Choice, but they had this to say:
The TS-251 was introduced in the Summer of 2014. A magazine comparing two generation old NAS in a list for 2017 ... go figure.
JoBrCoGB wrote:"Cons
Slow at restoring RAID mirror in testing. ...
Let's see ... http://uk.pcmag.com/qnap-ts-251/36772/r ... nap-ts-251
" ...The other thing I test is how well the NAS can rebuild its RAID array. I replaced the pulled 3GB Seagate SATA drive with a 4GB Seagate drive. After a few seconds the NAS beeped again. I went into the Disk Manager and checked the RAID group. I was happy to see the status marked as "rebuilding." The rebuild process was very slow, however, especially considering I had very little data on the drive. In fact, it took several minutes for the progress bar to indicate that the rebuild was even starting. I attribute this sluggishness to the Celeron processor. I've seen faster rebuilds with newer Intel Atom chips in other two-bay NASes' such as the Asustor AS-602T. It's a poky process, but volume recovery and RAID rebuild does work, and it's likely not something you'll have to do often. ..."
When I read that it's becoming obvious, the writer (intentionally not saying the tester...) has not much clue - neither about processors, nor about RAID in general, and then on the Linux MD RAID used by most NAS makers.

The J1800 Celeron - available brand new to system integrators in volumes when the TS-x51 Series was launched - is ways ahead to the aged D2700 Atom in any apsect (yeah ... just two HT vs four ... this wont make it any more powerful).
J1800vsD2700.PNG
All major NAS makers use Linux MD software RAID - from Asustor to Netgear/ReadyNAS to QNAP . By default, the Linux MD software RAID does a _full_ resync on all blocks on all the disk partions involved - this is pure block based activity, the RAID has no clue whAt is "used". The Linux MD RAID does allow to enable Bitmap. On a fully synched RAID, each change of a block will be marked in the Bitmap. This will allow just the changed blocks to be synched if a resync is required, ie. after a crash, recovering from a power loss, or unintentional unplug and replug of a drive. For a new/replacement drive, this won't change anything: The full RAID will be resynched in any case. And of course it's always a balance between RAID rebuild vs. other ongoing processing. No word of that in this "test", too.
JoBrCoGB wrote:"... Design lends itself to quick wear and tear."
Can't find a single word of concern or complaint about this in the complete "test". Not worth marking it red here. Yes, the TS-251 comes in a budget almost all plastic enclosure. In the average life time of a NAS ... some five to seven years ... you might loose one or two HDD, and will update the HDD once. So each bay will be opened and closed how many times again please? Less than one hand full. This is the "wear". Should you be a smoker, or live in a hevaily smog area ... yes, the outer white surfaces can and will become slightly yellow over time. This is all.

For my part, I would be concerned about unqualified mass publication writers.

Regards,
-Kurt.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
stich86
New here

Post by stich86 »

schumaku wrote:Hello,
stich86 wrote:i've a spare Samsung 4GB stick (M471B5173QH0-YK0). It's recognised from the system (TS-251) and it can boot but there is a strange issue. In system view and performance I don't see anymore CPU% and RAM% used. Is it normal?
No, of course not. Beyond of the NAS model, please provide firmware version and build number. Your description read like a knonw issue QNAP had back in late 2014, around QTS 4.1.1/4.1.x.

Should the problem remain on the curent QTS 4.2.3 resp. the QTS 4.3.2.0050 or newer Beta, in addition to the above, please file a ticket on https://helpdesk.qnap.com/

Regards,
-Kurt.
I've opened a ticket to QNAP.. let's wait..
JoBrCoGB

Post by JoBrCoGB »

schumaku wrote:Yes, the TS-251 comes in a budget almost all plastic enclosure.
Yes, I thought they were talking about the same thing, which is why I've changed my mind and decided to buy the TS-563. I've always preferred metal enclosures not just for ruggedness but security as well, (pesky electromagnetic radiation!) Does QNAP sell anything TEMPEST approved? Whoops, my US DOD is showing! (Actually I'm just being rhetorical.)

Hey Kurt, thanks for being here, it would seem that you're pretty much a one man band. That you take it upon yourself to support that which you believe in, giving that which most of us shall want more of in the end, is admirable. Keep up the good work no matter how many hard cases show up. :-P ;-)

P.S. It really says something that a 2014 unit is awarded an EC in 2017! So I wouldn't dog the writer all that much. ;-)

Gryphon
New here

Post by Gryphon »

So, I got a TS-451+ last week and just today I received a pair of ADATA Premier DDR3L 1600MHz 8GB Memory Modules (ADDS1600W8G11-2). Installed them and they're working just fine, 16 GB of RAM recognized by my NAS without a glitch.

Funnily, though, on dmi it's listed as 1600 MHz but configured to 1333 MHz:

# dmidecode 2.11
SMBIOS 2.8 present.

Physical Memory Array
Use: System Memory
Error Correction Type: None
Maximum Capacity: 8 GB
Number Of Devices: 2

Handle 0x002A, DMI type 17, 40 bytes
Memory Device
Locator: A1_DIMM0
Bank Locator: A1_BANK0
Type: DDR3
Speed: 1600 MHz
Manufacturer: A-DATA
Serial Number: XXXXXXXX
Asset Tag: A1_AssetTagNum0
Part Number:
Configured Clock Speed: 1333 MHz

Handle 0x002C, DMI type 17, 40 bytes
Memory Device
Locator: A1_DIMM1
Bank Locator: A1_BANK1
Type: DDR3
Speed: 1600 MHz
Manufacturer: A-DATA
Serial Number: XXXXXXXX
Asset Tag: A1_AssetTagNum1
Part Number:
Configured Clock Speed: 1333 MHz
MarvQN
New here

Post by MarvQN »

First time QNAP owner here and quite happy so far, only disappointment with the ts-451+ is the removal of Kodi, which brings me to the reason for upgrading the 2GB RAM - to run Linux in container station and then kodi on that.
Happy to report that I have installed 2 sticks of Crucial MEMCRU058192 and running with 16GB nicely. For a third of the cost of the official qnap equivalent
Dr Strangelove

Post by Dr Strangelove »

Been running 16GB RAM in a TS-451+ (Intel J1900) for over six months now with no problems.
Currently using 2x8GB Crucial Technology CT2KIT102464BF160B.
NAS doesn't get much use, just a bit of Win10 VM and backup for my other NAS.
Was using 2x4GB Kingston Technology KVR16LS11/4 in a TS-253 Pro (Intel J1900) for a year or so.

Model: QNAP TS-451+
Firmware: 4.3.3.0238

CPU Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU J1900 @ 2.00GHz
CPU usage 12.0 %
Total memory 16 GB (15.54 GB usable)
Free memory 14.52 GB
Memory slot 1 (Channel A, DIMM 1) 8 GB (Crucial Technology)
Memory slot 2 (Channel B, DIMM 2) 8 GB (Crucial Technology)
CPU temperature 33°C / 91°F
System temperature 29°C / 84°F
Disk 1 temperature 30°C / 86°F
Disk 2 temperature 28°C / 82°F
Disk 3 temperature --°C / --°F
Disk 4 temperature --°C / --°F
System fan 1 speed 529 RPM

[~] # dmidecode --type memory
# dmidecode 2.11
SMBIOS 2.8 present.

Physical Memory Array