[Linux Station] first run + video (Youtube)

Discussion about various official QPKG software applications. Login required to view the contents.
oyvindo
Experience counts

Re: [Linux Station] first run + video (Youtube)

Post by oyvindo »

If I click "Enable Remote Desktop" in the Linux Station App (in QTS App center), it appears that Vino is running, and I can connect using VCN Viewer.
However, if I disable remote desktop, it should still be possible to start Vino from SSH ? It is just a regular service, right?

I have tried :
sudo vino-server
and:
sudo vino-server &

The first just gives a "command not found"
The latter does something, but whatever I do next, I only get:
[1]+ Stopped sudo vino-server

So, how is it possible to launch the vino server from a command line?
ImageImageImage
giopas
Been there, done that

Post by giopas »

Thanks you Philippe, I was looking for it as well! I think we could create ansimole sh script to do so on a regular basis... I will try to find some time to test it..
Qnap TS-253Pro 16Gb RAM - Single Storage Pool: 2 WRed 4TB (RAID 1)
Qnap TS-453A 16Gb RAM - Single Storage Pool: 4 WRed 4TB (RAID 5)
oyvindo
Experience counts

Post by oyvindo »

giopas wrote:Thanks you Philippe, I was looking for it as well! I think we could create ansimole sh script to do so on a regular basis... I will try to find some time to test it..
Kudos from me too. :DD
I looked around today and found that the folder ubuntu_16.04 has 3,54Gb while the folder ubuntu_hd has 8.56Gb just after complete removal and reinstall of both Linux Station as well as Ubuntu 16.04 Nothing else installed.

So - just to make sure I understood correctly; Is it the ubuntu_16.04 folder that I should copy and restore, or is it the ubuntu_hd folder, or both?

When I issue the command :
getcfg ubuntu-hd install_path -f /etc/config/qpkg.conf
from ubuntu, I just get a 'No command found'.
If I issue this command from QTS, I get:
/share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/ubuntu-hd

So, I guess that means it is the ubuntu_hd folder which is the actual LXC container (chroot) ?

I agree with giopas, it would have been awesome to have a script that would accommodate 'snapshot copy' / 'snapshot restore'.
(But what does 'ansimole' mean??)
ImageImageImage
giopas
Been there, done that

Post by giopas »

'ansimole' intended to be 'a simple' script, but my phone misspelled it :-)

I am currently relocating house, so I won't have much time to script (and I don't even have internet at home...), but when I will be up again, I will propose a simple script. :-)
oyvindo
Experience counts

Post by oyvindo »

Excellent :-) I'll wait for that.
ImageImageImage
oyvindo
Experience counts

Post by oyvindo »

father_mande wrote:A chroot or LXC are first a folder in the QNAP no more no less
A chroot or partial in Docker are also a folder but Hidden in a trash spare big file managed by docker (but at all also accessible but with a little more expertise)
In the QPKG folder and lxc sub_folder ... you have an example of the tar ( tar.sh )
After reinstalling LS again from scratch and adjusting a few basic settings (language, time zone, etc.) a disabled LS and copied (cp -R) the complete ubuntu-hd folder (8,5Gb) to another share.

Then I re-enabled LS and everything seemed fine. I went on installing various software until LS again became unstable and finally refused to boot.

OK, so I disable LS, deleted the whole ubuntu-hd folder (rm -rf) and copied the fresh ubuntu-hd folder from my backup share back into .qpkg.

But, it did not work. LS will boot, and I can putty into it, so it is running, but the HDMI interface and the standard gnome DE never starts. I can't even use sudo from putty.

So I guess the idea of making my own "snapshot" of LS wasn't just straight forward after all ?
ImageImageImage
oyvindo
Experience counts

Post by oyvindo »

father_mande wrote:Just a remark ... be sure to use the same L.S. version (use at save and restore) or you have to check if some change occurs ...
When I click "Reset to default" I have no control of which version is being installed. but this is what it says:
Linux Station 1.1.893
Ubuntu_1604 3.12.6
father_mande wrote:please explain sudo from putty ... did you connected you to an internal (ubuntu LXC) openssh server and do sudo from a "standard normal" user ?? what is your data link ???
I do not understand your question; "What is your data link?"
father_mande wrote:I will run a test during the weekend ...
Thanks, Phillipe. I appreciate that.
I'm beginning to wonder why I keep on struggling with Linux Station? Perhaps installing a headless Ubuntu in container is a better choice? After all, I have no need for a head (HDMI). What I need is a server....
ImageImageImage
muntos
Know my way around

Post by muntos »

I noticed that in certain cases, mostly when I'm remote control on Ubuntu 14.04 and log-off the user, the Linux Station stuck... Stuck means that if I try to open Linux Station in QNAP admin interface the window is blank or stuck means also that I can't see anything on HDMI and in Linux Station the link for remote is not active.
The only think I know/can is to entirely restart QNAP NAS, which kinda **... :)
So, is there any way to restart the Linux Station, kill some processes ?
giopas
Been there, done that

Post by giopas »

Did you upgrade to latest built? Because I am experiencing freeze on Linux Station as well, but I did not understand yet the reason for it.
muntos
Know my way around

Post by muntos »

giopas wrote:Did you upgrade to latest built? Because I am experiencing freeze on Linux Station as well, but I did not understand yet the reason for it.
Latest version for Linux Station ? I guess yes, as long no update shows in App Center...
giopas
Been there, done that

Post by giopas »

No, I was speaking about QTS

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
muntos
Know my way around

Post by muntos »

Yes, 4.2.1 build 20160601
Benna80
Easy as a breeze

Post by Benna80 »

I've not found a specific section for Linux station on the forum as per Virtualization Station, so i think i'll ask some "1 day usage" question.
Is there the possibility to change hardware specs fot the "virtual machine"? For example, more RAM, less CPU cores, assign different ethernet port or different Virtual switch?
Benna80
Easy as a breeze

Post by Benna80 »

:) Lol thanks Philippe, i'm actually trying to figure out how to use KODI, if via HD Station or if via Linux station.
Up to now i've imported all the settings from KODI on HDS to LS and it does work very well, the only problem i get is that from time to time KODI on LS can't find the path to movie and music, at randoom.
Benna80
Easy as a breeze

Post by Benna80 »

At the moment when i add a folder on KODI (for example containing TV Series) i click on the "Add folder" and navigate via SMB through the NAS share, so it's via network access. From time to time it stucks for minutes, if i exit kodi and reboot the system then this fixes the problem (not always btw)

Return to “Official Apps”