How to get Qsync sync my tree structure?

Discussion about various official QPKG software applications. Login required to view the contents.
ariznaf
Know my way around

How to get Qsync sync my tree structure?

Post by ariznaf »

I am a bit confused with how Qsync works and how to configure it.

I have configured it to sync a share with a directory in my PC and it works OK.

But when it comes to syncing user data in his home directory, thins get more complex.

It seems that you can only configure Qsync with a directory under your home user dir called .Qsync.
Why is this?

I want to configure it to sync some of the directories on my user account in my PC (documents, Photos, Music, etc) with my home directory in the NAS.

I woul like to have the same directory structure.
An have my photos, videos and music synced with that in the NAS for that user.

Why should I put it in a hidden .Qsync folder?

I have two users, each having documents, photos and videos, with a tree structure like this:

c:\users\UserX\Documents
c:\users\UserX\Videos
c:\users\UserX\Photos
c:\users\UserX\Other documents I dont want to sync

I would like to have each user photos, videos, etc shared but separate in the NAS.

My firs idea was to make a subfolder in the home dir of each user:

/home/Videos
/home/Photos
/home/Documents

But I then discover that Qsync only lets you sync a hidden subdir under your home dir: .Qsync. Why is that?

Then I have tried to use the structure that I would prefer, a share for each type with subdir for each user. I tried it and activate advance dir permisions and give permisions accordingly to the needss:
/Videos
/Videos/User1
/Videos/User2

/Photos
/Photos/User1
/Photos/User2

etc.

But I soon discover that you cannot sync a dir in your PC with a subdir of a share, you can use just the main share.

So I found no way of doing what I wanted to do.

The only way woul be to make a share for eachar combination of user and data type, like User1_Photos, User2_Photos, User1_Videos, etc.
A dirty solution and tedious when you have several types of files and more than a couple of user (5 in my case).
======================================================
Model: TS-451+ -- RAM: 8GB -- FW: QTS 4.3.6 (user data, multimedia content and backup)
Storage: 3 4TB WD Red NAS (thick volume system + backup) + 1 2TB SAMSUNG HD204UI (thick volume for less important data).
LinuxStation Ubuntu 18.04
Emby 3.2
fetjp
Starting out

Re: How to get Qsync sync my tree structure?

Post by fetjp »

Hello,
I see 2 ways of doing what you need.
If you want to keep files in home directories, you would need to log with ssh on your box, find the homes directories (/share/homes on mine), and in the home of each family member do a
ln -s .Qsync/Videos Videos
ln -s .Qsync/Photos Photos
ln -s .Qsync/Documents Documents

The other way, using the /Videos/UserX scheme is to use selective synchronization.
So, you add the share you want to have synchronized (e.g. Photos <-> C:\users\UserX\SyncPhotos) and instantly hit "Pause synchronization". In the "settings/Configuration" of this link, you choose "selective synchronization" and only choose the Photo folder for User X.

Hope that helps. I have been struggling with that this afternoon too.
Cheers

Return to “Official Apps”