Hybrid Backup Sync not working for CIFS/SMB

Discussion about various official QPKG software applications. Login required to view the contents.
Saturn2888
First post

Hybrid Backup Sync not working for CIFS/SMB

Post by Saturn2888 »

I'd like to use Hybrid Backup Sync to watch my Windows fileshares and backup files without me having to think about it.

I am trying to get CIFS/SMB working, but it's not working. I had trouble in the past where certain symlinked folders wouldn't show up properly, but now I can't even get a proper connection.

When I go into the app: I click:
  1. Create Sync Job
  2. Active Sync
  3. Sync Remote to Local
  4. CIFS/SMB
  5. Next
At this point, I'm on the Create Sync Job screen. From here, I either click "New Profile" or Edit an existing one.

When I "Test", it says "Failure".

My username is the one I use with my Microsoft account. I use the correct password as well. I've copy-pasted it from LastPass to make 100% sure. I've also tried using the IP and the hostname.

When I click the search icon next to the Destination, it reads:
"Unable to receive folder list. Please check configuration first."

File sharing works from this machine when grabbing them from another Windows machine.
stefaanbolle
Getting the hang of things

Re: Hybrid Backup Sync not working for CIFS/SMB

Post by stefaanbolle »

Same problem with HBS 3 Beta.
SMB used to authenticate before, not anymore

Since the QTS upgrade to 4.4, I cannot connect anymore with CIFS/SMB to a Thecus N4200Pro SMB server.
Not file station nor HBS (3.0 beta) is able to connect to the SMB shares defined on Thecus. Anyone experievncing similar issues and a possible way to resolve/workaround?
This is probably due to a too recent samba implementation compared to Thecus
ItsMeeee
New here

Post by ItsMeeee »

I created such a job successfully in the past on a Windows7 PC but had the same trouble at the beginning. I changed a lot of settings somewhere in the network-, shared folders-, and user rights stuff... cannot remember exactly.... at some point it worked and I never touched it.

Until today: same issue on a Windows10 PC. I would like to sync a shared folder one way from the PC to the NAS (scheduled backup) as on the Win7 PC in the past. I cannot get connected via the Hybrid backup sync job. There must be something missing on the PC (access rights or whatever).
ItsMeeee
New here

Post by ItsMeeee »

I made it!
When you create the job and enter the SMB/CIFS settings (IPaddress, user name, password) you have to type in the name of the folder manually.
I have got a "Failure" after pressing the Test button but the job works well!

Good luck, I hope my advice helps!
stefaanbolle

Post by stefaanbolle »

Does not work with me.
I do not think it is HBS related but rather QTS4.4 beta that changed compatibility with older SMB shares
BrianT58
Starting out

Post by BrianT58 »

stefaanbolle wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:40 pm Does not work with me.
I do not think it is HBS related but rather QTS4.4 beta that changed compatibility with older SMB shares
I'm having the same issue and I'm on QTS 4.3.6. It was all working fine but I think a Win10 update (quel suprise! :roll: ) may have caused the problem. As per the OP all the settings in HBS haven't changed and now any test fails. I've tried setting up a new connection and I get the same problem, manually typing the remote folder name doesn't help either.
Regards
Brian

TS-653A
stefaanbolle

Post by stefaanbolle »

My issue has nothing to do with Win 10. My shares are located on a Thecus N4200 Pro which dates from 2013.
With QTS 4.3.6 and the previous HBS, all was working well. Now I can not connect smb anymore (QTS 4.4.1 beta en HBS 3 beta)
stefaanbolle

Post by stefaanbolle »

Found the problem via dmesg

Code: Select all

[528965.208000] No dialect specified on mount. Default has changed to a more secure dialect, SMB2.1 or later (e.g. SMB3), from CIFS (SMB1). To use the less secure SMB1 dialect to access old servers which do not support SMB3 (or SMB2.1) specify vers=1.0 on mount.
Anyone an idea where to put vers=1.0 for the mounts?

Btw, I also created a ticket with QNAP
BrianT58
Starting out

Post by BrianT58 »

stefaanbolle wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:41 pm Found the problem via dmesg

Code: Select all

[528965.208000] No dialect specified on mount. Default has changed to a more secure dialect, SMB2.1 or later (e.g. SMB3), from CIFS (SMB1). To use the less secure SMB1 dialect to access old servers which do not support SMB3 (or SMB2.1) specify vers=1.0 on mount.
Anyone an idea where to put vers=1.0 for the mounts?

Btw, I also created a ticket with QNAP
That's interesting, does that mean that Qnap are still using smb1 as the client? if so that would certainly explain my issue as MS have disabled smb1 in windoze 10
Regards
Brian

TS-653A
robmaltsystems
Starting out

Post by robmaltsystems »

>That's interesting, does that mean that Qnap are still using smb1 as the client? if so that would certainly explain my issue as MS have disabled smb1 in windoze 10

Coming to this thread a year later and I suspect this is still true. My client has an Azure Windows Server 2016 system with SMB v1 enabled and their TS-869 can add SMB/CIFS storage spaces without a problem. However, we're migrating to Windows Server 2019 and Microsoft have disabled SMB1 in the OS. You can't add the feature. And the TS-869 is unable to add a connection to this new server.

How do you get the QNAP to use a later SMB version??
robmaltsystems
Starting out

Post by robmaltsystems »

Also what is DMESG mentioned above?
Lostine
First post

Post by Lostine »

I have ran into this problem that Hybrid Backup Sync is using SMB1. Has anyone found a workaround for it to use a higher version?
robmaltsystems
Starting out

Post by robmaltsystems »

I gave up in the end so I think the answer is "No"...
TimRideout
Know my way around

Post by TimRideout »

Hi - you said you took out a support ticket with QNAP. What did they say?
netify@gmail.com
First post

Post by netify@gmail.com »

Good amount of time later and this is still an issue; interesting diagram from qnap:

https://www.qnap.com/assets/img/softwar ... d150ab467a

I had already / coincidentally made the change to allow smb3.1 and down to smb2.0, but it's still not creating the mount point. Still a work in progress.

Return to “Official Apps”